[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Forrest Griffin vs. Rampage Jackson

budlitebrad

I think it's fair to say that Rampage underestimated Griffin and maybe Griffin even overestimated Rampage a little.

Griffin pushed the action and did well on the ground, especially round 2. Even though he didn't seem to do a ton of damage to Rampage, Jackson's knee was already injured before the fight and he was limping pretty bad after taking all of those leg kicks. It was a close fight, but I don't think you need to destroy a guy in order to take his belt. A win is a win.

I really want to see Griffin/Lidell, but they may try to push the rematch with Rampage sooner than later.

I really want to see Griffin/Lidell, but they may try to push the rematch with Rampage sooner than later.

If Liddell rolls through Evans it will be Griffin V Liddell which would be massive as far as PPV buys goes.

That would also set up a Wand Silva V Rampage Jackson part 3... Lyoto deserves to get a shot soon, and Shogun Rua is finally getting healthy. The LHW's are stacked in this division.

I'll also say it right now... Lyoto will be the LHW champ before you know it.

I didn't think that was the Rampage Jackson we all know and love from the last three years. He just didn't look as explosive as I've seen him in the past. I thought he would pwnd Griffin.

It's funny... I've always thought the lightweight division was the most stacked, and it still very well may be. But, with Penn knocking off all of his challengers relatively easily lately, it appears he is far ahead of everyone else in that class. One could make an argument that the LHW division is more competitive, at least the top 6-8 guys right now. I still think the lightweights have the most depth, though, as far as solid guys throughout the class. I'm really looking forward to the Florian/Huerta fight in August, which is part of a very intriguing card. Lesnar coming back from his loss to Mir, as well as the GSP/Fitch fight (which I would expect GSP to win easily). Cheick Kongo is always fun to watch, and the Rollins/Saunders fight (two guys from the Ultimate Fighter 6) should be good as well. The Jared Rollins fight against "War Machine" Koppenhaver is still one of my all-time favorite fights.

As far as Rampage, the key to the fight was Forrest keeping him off balance with the low leg kicks, as well as Forrest's ability to back away when things got too sticky. There were several times where I was afraid that he would stay in too long and exchange, and get hurt or knocked out, but every time, he made the right decision to back away just in time. Rampage's leg was apparently hurt before the fight... How much that affected him, and how much Forrest's kicks had to do with it, I'm not sure. My guess is that it had more to do with the kicks from Griffin than any previous injury, but no one knows for sure. Regardless, it was a great overall strategy by Forrest, and Rampage should have gone after him more early in the fight, when he still had both legs at 100%.

A few things....... I though RJ won the fight, but I can see the argument for a FG decision. However, I have a problem with unanamous decision for starters, and with 2 judges giving FG a 10-9 rd 1, and 49-46 - that is a joke. There is no one on earth that can convince me FG won rd 1.

I firmly believe, with LHW stacked like it is a FG loss would have really really hurt him. With his popularity I think there was something in the works, along the lines of - hey if this thing goes the distance and is close, FG is going to get the benefit of the doubt, and everyone including RJ will get paid for even bigger fights down the line. FG being LHW champ is hugh!!! and if he took the L , the road back to contending could have crippled him IMO - Wanderlei, Chuck, Machida, Rua, some tough tough matchups for him to rise the ranks - whatever - I love FG, and this sets up some awesome upcoming fights.....

on a side note- Almeida got absolutely effed. There is no way Cote won that fight.......

you all see CB is figting Jesse next weekend on the free card!!! should be a good one

I didn't think that was the Rampage Jackson we all know and love from the last three years. He just didn't look as explosive as I've seen him in the past. I thought he would pwnd Griffin.

Rampage by his own admittance didn't respect Forrest Griffin going into the fight. He wasn't focused, didn't train properly and didn't have a game plan. Forrest doesn't have heavy hands, nor is he a sub wizard, but he works harder than anyone else in the business and is willing to take all the pain in the world... You've got to take Griffin seriously, and because Page didn't he lost. If Rampage was 100% focused and had a game plan which consisted of doing something other than banging it would have been a different story. Too bad for him it looks like he's going to get his ass knocked out for a third time from Wand Silva... And remember kids, the Thai clinch is not your sweet spot

I firmly believe, with LHW stacked like it is a FG loss would have really really hurt him. With his popularity I think there was something in the works, along the lines of - hey if this thing goes the distance and is close, FG is going to get the benefit of the doubt, and everyone including RJ will get paid for even bigger fights down the line.

Man you've got to get off of that... The UFC, Ferretta Brothers, Dana White, or anyone in Zuffa/UFC has any control on the outcome of the fight when it goes to judges. The Nevada State Gaming Board is responsible for the judges... The UFC didn't nor could they fix a fight. Sure, the judges could score it wrong, but not because of the UFC. I thought Griffin won the fight, as does a few of my friends that are Rampage nuthuggers. How anyone thinks Rampage won is beyond me. If you want to look at the slam, look at why he had to slam FG, because he was in a Triangle. Forrest controlled the fight, pushed the pace, had octagon dominance, threw and landed more strikes, injured Rampage and went for more Subs.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Rampage by his own admittance didn't respect Forrest Griffin going into the fight. He wasn't focused, didn't train properly and didn't have a game plan. Forrest doesn't have heavy hands, nor is he a sub wizard, but he works harder than anyone else in the business and is willing to take all the pain in the world... You've got to take Griffin seriously, and because Page didn't he lost. If Rampage was 100% focused and had a game plan which consisted of doing something other than banging it would have been a different story. Too bad for him it looks like he's going to get his ass knocked out for a third time from Wand Silva... And remember kids, the Thai clinch is not your sweet spot

Man you've got to get off of that... The UFC, Ferretta Brothers, Dana White, or anyone in Zuffa/UFC has any control on the outcome of the fight when it goes to judges. The Nevada State Gaming Board is responsible for the judges... The UFC didn't nor could they fix a fight. Sure, the judges could score it wrong, but not because of the UFC. I thought Griffin won the fight, as does a few of my friends that are Rampage nuthuggers. How anyone thinks Rampage won is beyond me. If you want to look at the slam, look at why he had to slam FG, because he was in a Triangle. Forrest controlled the fight, pushed the pace, had octagon dominance, threw and landed more strikes, injured Rampage and went for more Subs.

yeah yeah- they said the same thing about boxing and the vaunted Nevada Gaming Board is so above being influenced, save it - please explain to me how FG takes rd 1 10-9 on 2 judges cards??? listen, I am cool with FG getting the decision, and I know many thought FG won the fight- I just think they really really wanted to get him the belt - I mean, FG is the golden child and a L would have been brutal, with a long tough road ahead.

I understand FG is the hardest worker, blah blah. Ring control, outworked, all I know is RJ inflicted some damage and I thought he hurt him enough to retain the belt.

yeah yeah- they said the same thing about boxing and the vaunted Nevada Gaming Board is so above being influenced, save it - please explain to me how FG takes rd 1 10-9 on 2 judges cards??? listen, I am cool with FG getting the decision, and I know many thought FG won the fight- I just think they really really wanted to get him the belt - I mean, FG is the golden child and a L would have been brutal, with a long tough road ahead.

I understand FG is the hardest worker, blah blah. Ring control, outworked, all I know is RJ inflicted some damage and I thought he hurt him enough to retain the belt.

You obviously have not been watching MMA for that long, so I don't really need to make my case any more than I already have. Anyone who thinks that MMA is fixed and that the judges are paid off are retarded. Dana White beyond anything else is a business man, and the best at what he does. There is no way that he would do something that could hurt his brand such as something like fixed fights. If this was possible, you would have to agree that this wouldn't have been the first time, correct? If this is so, why have you never heard a former UFC fighter that now fights for a rival organization even bring it up? Because it's Freaking retarded. Your point is further retarded by the fact that Griffin was robbed by decision to Tito Ortiz, who Dana White absolutely hates beyond anything else. To think that Griffin has had it easy is to know very little about the fighters he's taken on... If Dana wanted to gift wrap him the belt, why would he make him go through the No.1 LHW in the world in Shogun Rua a few months back? Do you have any clue what the odds were against him? It's maddening to discuss this because it's absolutely insane to actually believe that the fight was fixed...

The Judges score on Octagon control=Forrest, Damage done=Forrest, Pushing the pace of the fight=Forrest... Rampage did little but get punched over and over and try to go for a knockout. Jackson wasn't in shape, wasn't focused, and deserved to lose that fight.

One more thing, Rampage could barely walk after the fight, what damage was done to Griffin again? Griffin is known as a cutter and will bleed at the touch of a tissue, you cannot look at cuts as a deciding factor of a fight. Don't bring that powerbomb non-sense as Griffin has him in a freaking Triangle choke.

This is why I don't like MMA going mainstream.

You obviously have not been watching MMA for that long, so I don't really need to make my case any more than I already have. Anyone who thinks that MMA is fixed and that the judges are paid off are retarded. Dana White beyond anything else is a business man, and the best at what he does. There is no way that he would do something that could hurt his brand such as something like fixed fights. If this was possible, you would have to agree that this wouldn't have been the first time, correct? If this is so, why have you never heard a former UFC fighter that now fights for a rival organization even bring it up? Because it's Freaking retarded. Your point is further retarded by the fact that Griffin was robbed by decision to Tito Ortiz, who Dana White absolutely hates beyond anything else. To think that Griffin has had it easy is to know very little about the fighters he's taken on... If Dana wanted to gift wrap him the belt, why would he make him go through the No.1 LHW in the world in Shogun Rua a few months back? Do you have any clue what the odds were against him? It's maddening to discuss this because it's absolutely insane to actually believe that the fight was fixed...

The Judges score on Octagon control=Forrest, Damage done=Forrest, Pushing the pace of the fight=Forrest... Rampage did little but get punched over and over and try to go for a knockout. Jackson wasn't in shape, wasn't focused, and deserved to lose that fight.

One more thing, Rampage could barely walk after the fight, what damage was done to Griffin again? Griffin is known as a cutter and will bleed at the touch of a tissue, you cannot look at cuts as a deciding factor of a fight. Don't bring that powerbomb non-sense as Griffin has him in a freaking Triangle choke.

This is why I don't like MMA going mainstream.

s-t-f up with I don't like MMA going mainstream bullchit - I get it- I have been watching it for a while, I have friends who train at Couture's gym in Vegas, so save the lecture. Of course I am not saying it was "fixed" - but to think there may not be, or could not be any influence on who wins is naive. Moving on, because I am over the decision and iI like FG, and think this sets up some big bouts....Forrest out-worked him and pushed the pace, fine- i agree-

damage done Forrest?? un negative- Rampage wins that one,

Edited by wildcat2334

s-t-f up with I don't like MMA going mainstream bullchit - I get it- I have been watching it for a while, I have friends who train at Couture's gym in Vegas, so save the lecture. Of course I am not saying it was "fixed" - but to think there may not be, or could not be any influence on who wins is naive. Moving on, because I am over the decision and iI like FG, and think this sets up some big bouts....Forrest out-worked him and pushed the pace, fine- i agree-

damage done Forrest?? un negative- Rampage wins that one,

Xtreme Couture is like 24 hour fitness... Just because Couture owns it, and some big timers go there doesn't mean that your friends train or have even seen Couture, Wand, Griffin or Grey Maynard. I went into Guy Mezger's gym and you know what? It was terrible. A name associated to a gym means nothing. I've got a ton more out of the little place I go to. Way more interaction and teaching then I could get at Eddie Bravo's gym in Dallas, so that really doesn't hold much water to me. What influence are you talking about if you're not saying it's fixed? If they were influenced to get a decision to Griffin, then it would be fixed. It's asinine man... As far as upcoming bouts

Liddell V Griffin

Lyoto Vs Griffin

Rampage Vs Wand

Shogun Vs ???

Xtreme Couture is like 24 hour fitness... Just because Couture owns it, and some big timers go there doesn't mean that your friends train or have even seen Couture, Wand, Griffin or Grey Maynard. I went into Guy Mezger's gym and you know what? It was terrible. A name associated to a gym means nothing. I've got a ton more out of the little place I go to. Way more interaction and teaching then I could get at Eddie Bravo's gym in Dallas, so that really doesn't hold much water to me. What influence are you talking about if you're not saying it's fixed? If they were influenced to get a decision to Griffin, then it would be fixed. It's asinine man... As far as upcoming bouts

Liddell V Griffin

Lyoto Vs Griffin

Rampage Vs Wand

Shogun Vs ???

hey, not here to name drop with Couture- I have 2 buddies that have been fighting for years- they say they train with Randy, FG and the rest- I take them for their word......

- I just don't need some condescending MMA- know it all BS, capice? I love the sport and I happen to think RJ should have retained his belt, he didn't, fine. I am not the only making a point about the convenience of FG being the champ - and I never really thought one of our major sports like the NBA or NFL( Seattle-Pitt :wacko: ) could be influenced - and we now know better don't we....... just seemed odd to me- what is yer opinion on FG winning round 1 on 2 judges cards when it was clearly RJ round??

hey, not here to name drop with Couture- I have 2 buddies that have been fighting for years- they say they train with Randy, FG and the rest- I take them for their word......

- I just don't need some condescending MMA- know it all BS, capice? I love the sport and I happen to think RJ should have retained his belt, he didn't, fine. I am not the only making a point about the convenience of FG being the champ - and I never really thought one of our major sports like the NBA or NFL( Seattle-Pitt :wacko: ) could be influenced - and we now know better don't we....... just seemed odd to me- what is yer opinion on FG winning round 1 on 2 judges cards when it was clearly RJ round??

PM me your two buddies names then. If they're fighting out of Xtreme Couture I'm sure I've heard of them or know of them.

I'm not being condescending to you, I'm just saying that the things you've posted are that of a MMA newb who doesn't know how things work in the sport. You said you didn't want to hear about octagon dominance, pushing the fight, or attempting more subs, so you basically want to not aknkowledge how the sport has been ran for close to 20 years, and you'd rather make up your own rules, like how Forrest Griffin's face looked after the fight...You keep on complaining about one round... What do think the other rounds went like again? Forrest clearly won the fight. Maybe not by the margin the judges gave him, but he won regardless.