[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddlers who ride...

Puddy

I lane split, but not for fun, just to get to my destination and not at the speed he's going cuz some a-hole would change lanes on purpose.

I'm almost positive that what he did was illegal, not only in CA, but any state.

Isn't what you do also illegal? I don't know but it seems like it would be. I would guess that you have to treat the bike like any other vehicle. Just because you can fit doesn't mean you should. Am I off base?

As if there aren't enough inherent dangers in riding a motorcycle.

Whenever I see someone doing this, I always think the same thing: I hope this moran filled out an Organ Donor card, so that when he throws his own life in the trash can at least he can save someone else more deserving.

My father is a lifelong rider and took a trip out to LA a while back... He said that he saw a few lane splitters and that it was absolutely asinine to do... He said he wouldn't dream of doing it... I've seen a few guys do this in the Dallas area around 114/121 DFW Airport area on the way to work in the mornings... No wrecks, but a few near misses... I fear the day that I actually see a wreck from some guy doing this...

Another thing, youtube has a ton of lane splitting video's... Do crotch rocket riders normally carry around video camera's?

I lane split, but not for fun, just to get to my destination and not at the speed he's going cuz some a-hole would change lanes on purpose.

I'm almost positive that what he did was illegal, not only in CA, but any state.

lane splitting is legal in CA as long as it's in a safe and prudent manner. That video wouldn't classify as that. but then again who's interpretation are you using? The motorist or cyclist. Personally, I don't mind the lane splitting when the commute crawls along @ 15-20 mph(bikes aren't causing the traffic jam), but when I'm doing 60-70 mph and a motorcycle splits the lane, I feel like Death Race 2000 should commence. And yes I rode street bikes for 10 years before hanging it up.

Whenever I see someone doing this, I always think the same thing: I hope this moran filled out an Organ Donor card, so that when he throws his own life in the trash can at least he can save someone else more deserving.

+1

I see motorcycles lane splitting almost every time I'm on the freeway. I view it as natural selection. Pretty soon they will be extinct.

From what I understand, lane splitting at very low speeds is legal because motorcycles are air cooled engines so they could theoretically overheat if they idled in stalled traffic for too long. Thus, they need to keep moving.

Now, this is not my theory and I didn't care enough when I was told this by a friend to bother looking into it. My guess is, it was just barely feasible enough to get the law passed through. After all, the DMV was not likely to be receptive to the convenience factor of moving up through lanes at stop lights or in traffic jams but may have been more sympathetic to cyclists saying their bikes would overheat if they were not able to keep moving.

lane splitting is legal in CA as long as it's in a safe and prudent manner. That video wouldn't classify as that. but then again who's interpretation are you using? The motorist or cyclist. Personally, I don't mind the lane splitting when the commute crawls along @ 15-20 mph(bikes aren't causing the traffic jam), but when I'm doing 60-70 mph and a motorcycle splits the lane, I feel like Death Race 2000 should commence. And yes I rode street bikes for 10 years before hanging it up.

It is legal in CA and you see it often in heavy traffic on the freeway. I always marvelled at the guys doing it since it would not take much for those openings to close too quickly but it is legal in CA.

I did it from time to time back in the day.....when I was stoopid! Forget the lane change...how bout someone sticking an arm out the window, trowing a cigg out, or even opening a door to pour out the 2 day old big gulp thats been sitting in the cup holder? It's dangerous, and given the fact that there is usually a nice sized shoulder to pass on I have no idea why you would ride in between cars. Ride on the shoulder.....don't know if it's legal or not, but it's a lot safer.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan