[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just wondering...

muck

What happens if the US Government decides to default on their debt?

On the plus side:

1) We don't pay the $$s to the Chinese and Saudi Arabians that they lent to us.

2) Possibly, a big tax cut as huge line items are eliminated from the budget.

3) Social Security and Medicaid are more likely to be solvent.

4)

On the down side:

1) The US pension funds that have invested in US government securities get blown up.

2) We lose our AAA credit rating.

3) We are no longer the default currency of choice for international transactions.

4) We lose our biggest (and largely unspoken of) club in terms of global politics ... "you don't play nice, and we may not repay you" ...

5) The US is in some sort of a 'penalty box" as it regards international trade for a few years.

6)

What happens if the US Government decides to default on their debt?

On the plus side:

1) We don't pay the $$s to the Chinese and Saudi Arabians that they lent to us.

2) Possibly, a big tax cut as huge line items are eliminated from the budget.

3) Social Security and Medicaid are more likely to be solvent.

4)

On the down side:

1) The US pension funds that have invested in US government securities get blown up.

2) We lose our AAA credit rating.

3) We are no longer the default currency of choice for international transactions.

4) We lose our biggest (and largely unspoken of) club in terms of global politics ... "you don't play nice, and we may not repay you" ...

5) The US is in some sort of a 'penalty box" as it regards international trade for a few years.

6)

Once Congress has a dollar in hand, they NEVER give it back. They would just find something else to spend waste it on.

However, the remifications of defaulting on our debt are just prohibitive, the worst of which you have already detailed. However, it would be our children that would pay the price for that decision, not necessarily us.

Once Congress has a dollar in hand, they NEVER give it back. They would just find something else to spend waste it on.

However, the remifications of defaulting on our debt are just prohibitive, the worst of which you have already detailed. However, it would be our children that would pay the price for that decision, not necessarily us.

Print mo' money

I will have a man crush on you if we can pull that off.... but again time is hard for me as well.

That may be something to think about after the ffl season is over but something I'd be interested in.

Question: Anyone ever beaten it on anything higher than Prince level?

And since our currency will fall below the value of the Iraqi Dinar, bread will be 20 bucks a loaf.....you will have massive inflation. People would still be working, because our trade deficit should actually get better...since foreign markets would be able to buy US made products at like an 80% discount when currency is exchanged....possible.

But the one actual certainty....we learn the Chinese National Anthem

Muck -

I've thought about this as well. What are the other countries gonna do? They flat out cannot live without us. Period. End of sentence. Seriously.

The US Economy is not the power house it once was...so I really have doubts about your statement. The problem is that alot of people keep saying that and that statement was true a few years back but not true any longer. Those days will never come again unfortunately.

The US Economy is not the power house it once was...so I really have doubts about your statement. The problem is that alot of people keep saying that and that statement was true a few years back but not true any longer. Those days will never come again unfortunately.

Two things:

1. The USA may not be the powerhouse it once was from an export standpoint, but we are still a huge consumer of goods so countries could not afford not to trade with us on terms we could live with

and

2. We can still kick anybody's ass militarily

Doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

Pulling it off is not the same as "They flat out cannot live without us." Did you mean something else?

I mean their economies could not survive without us.

I certainly did not mean their citizens would curl up in the fetal position and die. Methinks you read my comment a bit too literally.

I thought you meant their economies...

Why would they do that? Because of the demand that we artificially generated at the expense of third-world labor?

Not sure what exactly you mean by your 2nd comment. Artificial demand at the expense of third world labor?

Not sure how this is relevant.

You're saying that "they" can't live without our demand, correct?

We buy goods and services around the world much less than we would because of our position of strength economically. If we told them to lower their prices even more, why would they do it? Cuz they're already producing it? Why wouldn't they just sell it all off to South America or Europe for the same price that we would demand or maybe even a little.

Why would they accept US dollars that would significantly drop in value and no longer be respected?

Would we give them our gold reserves? Would we produce something that they would be willing to exchange for?

I am saying that yes- their economies cannot survive withour our demand.

And are you serious - sell it SA or Europe? Like that would even come close to the demand we generate.

Look, I could be way off the mark, I understand that, but I do strongly believe we could pull it off without the doom and gloom some of you seem to think would befall us. For my part, I choose to believe what I believe and my part of the debate has concluded.

For anyone else... if we defaulted, what could we offer the world that they'd want? Are we producing any good or service in substantial enough quantities that they'd accept in lieu of our collapsed dollar? We would sell off our gold for Euros?

We could give them Alaska and Hawaii?

Seriously back on point ... yippee ...

China (and others) are financing their climb out of the dark ages by giving cheap loans to the US consumers who buy the crap that they make.

At some point, my hope is that these people will start to buy stuff made in or serviced by people in the US in greater numbers than we buy their crap so that we can repay the debts owed to them ... but ... if that day never comes, then, I believe that at some point we (the USA) will be forced to chose (i) pay our federal debts, including interest ... or ... (ii) fund medicare/medicaid/SS ... or ... (iii) pay all of both items but not really much of anything else ... or ... (iv) nationalize some huge and very profitable businesses ... or ... (v) limp along until we eventually implode economically.

Personally, I believe that we will solve the problems as they become raging fires and will never proactively look to deal with any of these problems before they are gigantic issues.