[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is absolutely pathetic......

SEC=UGA

From extreme makeover to extreme foreclosure?

Patricia and Milton Harper face foreclosure on their 'Extreme Makeover' home.

A Clayton County family that got the area's first luxury remodeling job from the television show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" now faces foreclosure, according to television news reports.

A foreclosure notice on the home in Lake City appeared last Friday, indicating that a $450,000 second mortgage the owners took out less than 15 months ago was in default, WSB-TV reported.

Patricia Harper, the homeowner, told WSB she and her husband had struck a deal with Chase Home Finance to rescue their "extreme" home and that there will be no foreclosure auction. Chase said they couldn't confirm that claim.

Harper told WSB they invested the loan proceeds in a construction business and the business hasn't been good. She didn't say how much of the money is left.

The home at 5489 Ahyoka Dr. has 5,500 square feet after the 2005 makeover, WGCL CBS46 reported.

Lake City mayor Willie Oswalt was among the volunteers who helped build Harper's home 3 1/2 years ago, and Beazer Homes was the main sponsor. The mayor told WSB he is baffled.

"Beazer gave them $100,000 cash, paid their mortgage off and they still can't make it," said Oswalt.

There should have been some stipulation that they couldn't borrow against the home.

Can these guys vote under your propsed plan??

There is a whole different thread that relates to your second question... But for your edification, I'd have to think about it...

I have always enjoyed the Extreme Makeover shows, I feel it is a great form of charity and try to support the sponsors as much as possible. I just can't believe that someone would make such a poor decision after having been given such an opportunity as no mortgage and 100K in cash...

Edited by SEC=UGA

They need an Extreme Intelligence Makeover show. Dumb people stay dumb no matter what you do for them.

How 'bout them Dawgs!

J/K Dawg fans. :wacko:

Edited by The Holy Roller

I have always enjoyed the Extreme Makeover shows, I feel it is a great form of charity and try to support the sponsors as much as possible. I just can't believe that someone would make such a poor decision after having been given such an opportunity as no mortgage and 100K in cash...

The show would be watchable if it focused more on construction than on crying. I can't watch it.

If someone gave me 100K, I'd probably start a business too. You can't live forever off 100K, and I'd want to make a major investment in myself. I'd either launch an electric car company, or a chain of Noodles and Tokyo Joes franchises. Mmmm... foood.

And... there's probably good odds that I'd go out of business, because I'm not a smart businessman.

Edited by AtomicCEO

The show would be watchable if it focused more on construction than on crying. I can't watch it.

If someone gave me 100K, I'd probably start a business too. You can't live forever off 100K, and I'd want to make a major investment in myself. I'd either launch an electric car company, or a chain of Noodles and Tokyo Joes franchises. Mmmm... foood.

And... there's probably good odds that I'd go out of business, because I'm not a smart businessman.

I do agree with you assertion regarding the crying...

I realize you can't live forever on 100K, I also realize that I'm not going to put my house on the blocks to start a business, I'll find another way to do it. With that 100K they could have received a loan from the SBA for quite a bit, this IMO would have been smarter than mortgaging your house.

I do agree with you assertion regarding the crying...

I realize you can't live forever on 100K, I also realize that I'm not going to put my house on the blocks to start a business, I'll find another way to do it. With that 100K they could have received a loan from the SBA for quite a bit, this IMO would have been smarter than mortgaging your house.

Can I ask you a question.....is the SBA a private financing group or a group funded by the state and or federal government?

Can I ask you a question.....is the SBA a private financing group or a group funded by the state and or federal government?

I believe Federal, not sure how much the state backs them. There is another thread for this argument, no?

That's really too bad... not for the idiots that once again got themselves into trouble, but for all of the people that took the time to volunteer to make a dream come true for a family in need.

Good info here, also.

That's really too bad... not for the idiots that once again got themselves into trouble, but for all of the people that took the time to volunteer to make a dream come true for a family in need.

Agreed. This kind of thing happens all the time though. To turn the proverb round, smart people and their money are rarely parted. Athletes, lottery winners, inheritors......the ability to retain and build on wealth is defined by intelligence.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Agreed. This kind of thing happens all the time though. To turn the proverb round, smart people and their money are rarely parted. Athletes, lottery winners, inheritors......the ability to retain and build on wealth is defined by intelligence.

No no! It's all luck! :wacko:

You can argue that borrowing against your home to start a business isn't sound logic (but I think that's a bit of an over sweeping claim). However, I do find it rather odd to hear conservatives claim that there should be some stipulation on how somebody can spend money that they won.

I mean, it's their money, right?

You can argue that borrowing against your home to start a business isn't sound logic (but I think that's a bit of an over sweeping claim). However, I do find it rather odd to hear conservatives claim that there should be some stipulation on how somebody can spend money that they won.

I don't have problems with people spending money they win however they want. Lottery, HGTV Dream house, etc... have at it.

In this case I see it more as charity and good will betrayed. Spend the 100k however you like but don't risk your home that people went out of their way and made sacrifice to provide you.

Good point.

But, since this is charitable work, I worry that this could inhibit others from being so kind in the future... I don't want to see other people penalized because some jack ass decided to "capitalize" on other's kindness.