[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Terry Glenn Released

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys said Friday that they will waive veteran receiver Terry Glenn, who resisted signing an injury clause after missing most of last season with a right knee injury.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the decision on the first day of training camp wasn't about an offseason dispute with Glenn over an injury waiver that kept him off the practice field. Jones said he wanted to clear the way for younger receivers to compete for the job opposite leading receiver Terrell Owens.

Jones didn't rule out Glenn's return if the 34-year-old clears waivers and the younger receivers struggle in camp.

"As we go down the road, we'll see where we are," Jones said. "When we really got to looking at it, we would want to limit what Terry does in the preseason. Then we're probably, with our situation, wanting to create the incentive for the receivers we've got."

Glenn missed all but the final game of the regular season last year after two surgeries on his right knee.

He didn't want to sign a waiver and receive just $500,000 of his $1.74 million base salary if he re-injured the knee and couldn't play. As a result, the Cowboys wouldn't let him go through offseason workouts.

Glenn had told ESPN's Ed Werder earlier Friday that he'd accepted the concept of signing a split contract with the Cowboys, but that Jones remained undecided on whether to bring the veteran receiver back under those terms.

Under those terms, the oft-injured receiver would not have been paid his entire $1.7 million salary should he have reinjured his right knee.

"Hopefully, this gets worked out. Jerry holds the key," Glenn told Werder.

Glenn had consecutive 1,000-yard seasons for the Cowboys before his injury last year.

Messages left for Glenn's agent, James Gould, weren't immediately returned.

The leading candidate to start opposite Owens is Patrick Crayton. He was strong at times last year but had a critical drop in the Cowboys' playoff loss to the New York Giants.

Also missing from the first training camp practice were the Cowboys' two first-round draft picks, running back Felix Jones from Arkansas and cornerback Mike Jenkins from South Florida. Both players have the same agent, and the Cowboys were confident agreements would be in place soon.

Edited by Kansas State 2000

about time, that was getting ridiculous... but now what do we do? Joe Horn?

I think Crayton, Hurd and Austin will fill the holes...I am rooting for Austin to be opposite Owen in a 3 receiver sets...the guy can fly!!!

I think Crayton, Hurd and Austin will fill the holes...I am rooting for Austin to be opposite Owen in a 3 receiver sets...the guy can fly!!!

I think the Cowboys are among the best in the NFC, but they better pray that TO stays healthy and the #2 WR steps up enough to take some pressure off.

I think the Cowboys are among the best in the NFC, but they better pray that TO stays healthy and the #2 WR steps up enough to take some pressure off.

I think Dallas on paper is the best in the NFC, and I also agree that they are an injured TO away from being an above average team...

I think they need to make a move. Crayton ain't gonna cut it. Well, they can get by. But if they're looking to be a contender, they should get something going immediately.

Why? Glenn missed every game except one last season...It's not like they had him all last season or even for most of it. Why should his getting cut make any difference?? WR2 is the third option on this team and they did pretty well last season without Glenn.