[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speaking of mocks...

BS Miscreant

Julius Jones going way too late IMO and appear to be absolute steals in the 3rd/4th.

Deangelo Williams is the biggest value I keep seeing. I think he has a legit shot at a really big year.

I'm curious because I've been wondering about him. What's the word coming out of Seattle that would inspire this sort of confidence? Seriously, looking for some local knowledge here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious because I've been wondering about him. What's the word coming out of Seattle that would inspire this sort of confidence? Seriously, looking for some local knowledge here.

Right now Holmgren is saying that Jones is a co-starter at the RB position with Maurice Morris. In training camp Jones has even lined up in the slot to catch passes. Jones is very positive about how he will finally be fully utilized as a player. Many people following Seattle's training camp have said they expect Jones to carry the majority of the load as the season progresses. The Seahawks O-line should be improved over last year with the addition of Wahle.

Hearing nothing but great things about Jones. Runs hard, looks quick, gets up in the hole in a hurry. Holmgren actually kind of sounded "giddy" when asked about the RB situation on local sportsradio friday. The local writers and sports radio jocks that have been at practice all week have been unanimously praising Jones. All the players that have been interviewed have been crediting new line coach Mike Solari with adjusting the attitude of the O-Line, which is definitely needed for Jones to have any success. I was able to get out and watch practice on thursday, but the backs didn't do a whole lot other than some of the 7-on-7 passing drills. They did special teams in the afternoon and Jones wasn't even on the field.

It is only a hunch of course, but I really think Jones is going to surprise this year. I don't think he is as bad of a runner as he gets credit for, and I think this O-line is going to improve quite a bit. I just think he is a perfect fit for this offense, as I've said before. The most important thing a back can do in this offense is hit the hole quickly. The way the Seahawks spread the field, there are opportunities on the quicker running plays for a back to get to the 2nd and 3rd level, if he can get his butt through the hole before it closes. I think this is one of Jones' biggest strenghts. I'm not saying this is going to be a top 5 rushing offense, but it should be at least average this year and not ridiculously pathetic like last year.

I'm not as high on drafting Jones as Seahawks21 is; but not because he doesn't bring up valid points. Another thing to consider in PPR leagues is before SA went into 1-dimesional mode in 2004, Holmgren had always heavily utilized RBs in the passing game. SA had seasons of 44, 59, and 42 catches after replacing Watters (who also caught a ton). There has been a lot of 'buzz' (for whatever that is worth) from the coaching staff about getting JJ heavily involved in the passing game.

There are valid reasons to question JJ's value in 4th/5th rounds.

- Maurice Morris. Frankly, I think the talk about Morris being a co-starter is just that....talk. He has had numerous opportunities the last 2 years and proved he is nothing more than a complimentary type player. But, he still looks to take away some carries.

- TJ Duckett possibly being a goal-line vulture

- Leanord Weaver. He became FB by default when Mack Strong was injured. He is a better runner and catcher than a lead blocker. I'm still kind of mystified why he didn't get more opportunities to run last year.

- Justin Forsett. Although originally thought of as a throw away pick, he has been one of the surprises of camp early on. Still think he has an uphill battle and probably ends up on the practice squad. But his progress is worth monitoring when trying to determine JJ's value.

In my mind JJ is one of the many RB's I'm considering drafting after seeing guys like Jamal Lewis and McGahee going early 3rd.

Edited by bushwacked