[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling garden lovers.....

Jimmy Neutron

I'm a little disappointed with my garden this year. My tomato plants went into shock when I transplanted them outside, and although they grew and I'm getting tomatoes, the plants stayed spindley and small this year. Not the yield I was hoping for.

My hot peppers look good. The first ones should be ready to pick in a week or two.

The strawberry patch was great. . .lots of strawberries, although it's already done flowering for over a month now. :D

Peas were a complete disaster. They're usually the easiest crop of them all, and I tried 3 times this year and couldn't get a single vine to grow. Next year I'm changing their location. I'm blaming lack of sun, which could be way off-base, but you gotta start somewhere. . . .:wacko:

Bean plants are good, but I didn't plant enough of them to get any significant beans (only 4 or 5 plants).

Oh well, there's always next year.

Did you check PH level of the soil? Sounds like you are missing some ingredients in the soil.

i'm just tearing up one side of our house to start our garden.... i'm a year away. :wacko: I do have a couple apple trees in the backyard that are about 4-6 weeks away.... washington apples are outstanding.

I need some advice here.......... I've got a spot (not real big as we live right in the city) about 10 ft. x 25 ft. that gets direct sunlight all day. The soil is not the best as we're very close to salt water...... alot of rocks & it's sandy soil.

what crops are easiest to grow in a situation like this ?

Fraz. You should mix in some Humus soil with your existing soil. Id throw down about 10 bags and mix it in. Sounds like you would do well with tomatoes and Cukes.

i'm just tearing up one side of our house to start our garden.... i'm a year away. :wacko: I do have a couple apple trees in the backyard that are about 4-6 weeks away.... washington apples are outstanding.

I need some advice here.......... I've got a spot (not real big as we live right in the city) about 10 ft. x 25 ft. that gets direct sunlight all day. The soil is not the best as we're very close to salt water...... alot of rocks & it's sandy soil.

what crops are easiest to grow in a situation like this ?

I would try a raised bed. Build some boxes about 8 foot square and 4-6 inches deep with no bottom. Fill it with compost and well as mixing it in the soil you have.

Did you check PH level of the soil? Sounds like you are missing some ingredients in the soil.

Is there an over the counter testing kit, or do I have to send a sample somewhere?

Is there an over the counter testing kit, or do I have to send a sample somewhere?

over the counter, hardware store or Lowe's, Home depots of the world. Under $5, think I paid $1.99 IIRC

Edited by Hat Trick