[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ANY help would be appreciated!

SteelBunz

And yes.....lol......the bill is payed. :D

We've been getting some pixillating lately, but it seemed that it was only really bad on one of my favorite group of channels....A&E, Discovery channels, Bravo. It happened on all the other channels too, but on certain channels it rendered them totally unwatchable.

So...I did what they tell you to do...checked the connections, make sure there are no branches or leaves in the way, then used the little red reset button. I had checked signal strengths and they weren't great....mostly averaging 60s. But it would reset and come back on. Not too much better....but it DID come back on.

Yesterday, I changed the channel to A&E, then came into the office to check on a draft. The TV sounded too quiet....turned out it was "searching for a signal"......and searching.....and searching......for two frikken hours. So I reset. Nothing.....all ZEROS on the signal strength. So....I called DirecTV. NOT an experience I would recommend......LOL. After 20 minutes of going through the EXACT troubleshooting methods I'd just done myself (with no way to bypass to a CS person) and another 10 minutes listening to Ads with Peyton and the Sunday Ticket.....I finally got a live person.

She asked me all the same troubleshooting questions....DUH....I just went through that...twice! I'm trying to tell her......no....no one accidently cut a cable....I was JUST SITTING HERE. Then she started in on loosening bolts on the dish, making adjustments......then of course running back and forth to a TV to see if the signal was getting better. Are you kidding me? What about a service call??

Service call: $79.99 or....

$19.99 for the call now and a 1 year contract starting 3 months from now. Something like that.

WHAT? :wacko: I've been a loyal customer over 4 years with NO service calls (and bills payed on time)....and you want to charge me to come out and take a look at your own equipment? BullDoggie. I left cable (TimeWarner) 4 years ago because of Sunday Ticket and the nickle and diming to death TW was doing every time they added a channel. TW still hasn't made a deal with the BigTen network to carry it even though they own part of it. This will be the second year of that all going on.....I do get it on DirecTV, so I never pursued going back to TW or looking into Dish.

They basically said....we are sending you the signal.....if you aren't getting it, that's YOUR problem. :D

Anyone have a clue why my dish suddenly couldn't find a signal and can't find one this morning?

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Turned out lightning had gotten to the switch box under the house. I've got about 7 DTV connections in the house and there's a box under there that feeds the connections from your satellite dish. Also, the silver HD box had gone bad and they replaced it for free with the newer black box...that sucks because it doesn't have the antennae input for local HD. I do have the service contract, however, and yeah...it sucks to have to pay it monthly. None of it cost me a penny so it's worth it.

No cable out here in the sticks or DTV would be gone. I miss my On Demand :wacko:.

Edit: It slowly went bad and not just a big zap from the lightning. It degraded over a few days.

Edited by TimC

I pay for the service protection package. Whenever a box goes bad, I call them and they UPS me a new one.

Whenever I call they have me unplug the reciever from the wall for 20 seconds. For whatever reason, that has worked for me several times. I don't see where you tried that.

Well....I'm having a hard time trying to remember just WHEN all the bad reception started. We always had a little trouble during hard rains or storms. It freaks my one dog out, all those squeaking sounds as the signal is trying to right itself.

My dish is on a short pole in the ground. Not attached to the house. It's under a HUGH Oak tree, but the tree is pruned up very high and isn't interferring. But I also don't think the dish would be the first thing hit by lightning either.....LOL.

I pay for the service protection package. Whenever a box goes bad, I call them and they UPS me a new one.

Whenever I call they have me unplug the reciever from the wall for 20 seconds. For whatever reason, that has worked for me several times. I don't see where you tried that.

True....let me go try that now.

I have 3 boxes.....they all registered zeros......should I have to unplug them all?

Edited by SteelBunz

You know....I understand buyer beware.....lol......but the guy who installed our system was fairly new that day. One of his first days by himself. Nice guy but it took him about 2 hours longer than it should have.

That being said.....I'm sure no one even mentioned or offered a service contract or even explained that it would be necessary in the future.

Like the equipment was deemed to be mine from now on....and my responsibility. UGH.

Like I said.....I was used to TW....if you called....they'd come out.

Edited by SteelBunz

This is one of two problems:

The dish needs "tweaking" to get a better signal

Your splitter box is toast.

The BEST way to check for the problem is either get a Satellite measuring kit, which is portable and you attach it to the LNB of the dish and it will give you a signal reading right there. Or if you have a small TV you can bring it to your dish and do a connect directly to the dish with your receiver and see the signal reading like that.

If your getting a reading with a direct connect then your switch box is fried. If you dont then you probably need to re-align the dish.

Edited by MrTed46

And the splitter box would be the little thingy on the side of the house where one cable becomes 3 or 4? Right?

That is correct. You can call Directv and have them send you one or you can buy one off ebay. I am assuming this box is fried.

Is the dish securly fastened? Could winds have moved it slightly?

Ted....I did go to DirecTV online and out to dishpointer.com to make sure of my Azimuth and elevation and tilt correct. The only other thing I need to check is plumb on the pole.....make sure it wasn't knocked a little. There seems to be a touch more play in it than I remember.

There is a fence around that garden....so a pretty BIG squirrel would have had to throw himself at the thing......LOL.

But the rest....as far as tweaking......seem to be right on.

Ted....I did go to DirecTV online and out to dishpointer.com to make sure of my Azimuth and elevation and tilt correct. The only other thing I need to check is plumb on the pole.....make sure it wasn't knocked a little. There seems to be a touch more play in it than I remember.

There is a fence around that garden....so a pretty BIG squirrel would have had to throw himself at the thing......LOL.

But the rest....as far as tweaking......seem to be right on.

Is the pole 100% level? If it is not the readings are meaningless (I used to install dishs)

Don't ask me why.....but I may actually have a splitter to try......LOL. My basement is like a hardware store. If I ever had an inkling or desire to get on EBAY.....I could probably sell everything in my basement and pay my mortgage off....LOL.

Don't ask me why.....but I may actually have a splitter to try......LOL. My basement is like a hardware store. If I ever had an inkling or desire to get on EBAY.....I could probably sell everything in my basement and pay my mortgage off....LOL.

Remember a normal F-type splitter will NOT work here. You need a specific satellite splitter (Directv or Dishnetwork)

Or if you have a small TV you can bring it to your dish and do a connect directly to the dish with your receiver and see the signal reading like that.

If your getting a reading with a direct connect then your switch box is fried. If you dont then you probably need to re-align the dish.

This should be your next troubleshooting step. If you get a signal at the dish it's the splitter. If not then you adjust the dish (and secure it better) with the TV right there and no need to run back and forth.

I set up a dish at football games and it's amazing the difference a little movement can make in signal strength. You should be able to get 90+ easily.

This is also what you can try (you might have this in your basement)

On the side of the switch where the wires go inside your home and directly to the receiver. Trace one of these wires and see where that wire goes. Now disconnect that wire from the box and disconnect ONE wire on the other side of the box (this wire will be leading to your dish).

Use on of these to connect it:

http://www.showmecables.com/showProducts.asp?category_id=338

They sell these at radioshak and places similar

Use that F connector to connect both wires (the wire leading to the dish and the wire leading to your receiver).

Now go to that receiver and do a check switch or check signal. You SHOULD have signal if your dish is ok. You will NOT have every channel but you should have some type of signal.

If you have signal stop right there and order a new switch box, If you do not have signal (I would try this individually with all 4 wires going to the dish) then its probably your dish that needs to be aligned.

Hope this helps.

That seems a lot more complicated than just hauling a tv out to the dish. Now if the dish were on the roof like mine....

Nah its very easy...just bypass the dish and connect the two wires with an f connector, as if there was a direct line from the dish to the receiver. Simple solution and no need to lug around anything.

Nah its very easy...just bypass the dish and connect the two wires with an f connector, as if there was a direct line from the dish to the receiver. Simple solution and no need to lug around anything.

Ok, that sounds easier than the way previously described :wacko:

Glad I read this thread too because I'll try that next time I have issues.

Unfortunately, it looks like you are going to be up against $80.00 with all of the work youare going to have to do.

Last summer I decided to save $50.00 and clean the pool filter myself. One screen feel off and it cost $150.00 to have someone come out and vaccum all the DE off the bottom of the pool plus another $50.00 to put the screen on properly.

This afternoon....I'll try taking the little TV and it's box outside to the splitter and direct connect.

As far as this "metal box" outside you guys keep talking about....I don't have one of those. The cable snakes from the dish....through my garden....up onto my house and into the splitter. So there isn't a lot that could be wrong here. It's either the dish position or the splitter. Right?