[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Couture v Lesnar

Furd

wurd furd - there are gonna be some epic matchups in the next year or so - I think Nog is kinda getting effed in this whole deal, but since he is doing TUF - I guess he will have to wait his turn. I think Lesnar has the skills to take Randy out- just has to fight smart.

This weekends card looks great - Chuck, Rich - and Hendo is gonna have his hands full - one of my guys from TUF, Matt Brown is on the undercard as well -

can't wait

I would think Couture would be the last guy in the world that Lesnar would want to fight.

I disagree big time.

Lesnar has everything to gain/nothing to lose here. If he loses, he lost to one of the all-time greats in Couture. It's better he lose to Randy than someone on his march toward the title -- which would just knock him down the ladder & prolong the opportunity toward a title shot.

If he wins, he shocks the world and is Heavyweight Champ in his 3rd (?) fight. Not to mention he and Randy are going to make a poopyload of change for this fight. I'd be shocked if it weren't the most bought PPV in UFC history.

I would think Couture would be the last guy in the world that Lesnar would want to fight.

I disagree big time.

Lesnar has everything to gain/nothing to lose here. If he loses, he lost to one of the all-time greats in Couture. It's better he lose to Randy than someone on his march toward the title -- which would just knock him down the ladder & prolong the opportunity toward a title shot.

If he wins, he shocks the world and is Heavyweight Champ in his 3rd (?) fight. Not to mention he and Randy are going to make a poopyload of change for this fight. I'd be shocked if it weren't the most bought PPV in UFC history.

Really? If he loses he drops to 1-2 and starts to look like an even bigger circus act. Lesner's entire game is knocking someone down then going to the lay and pray for the entire fight... Not he, nor Fedor, nor anyone is going to simply hold Couture down. I see Couture winning because, well, he's Randy Freaking Couture. That's what he does.

It makes sense for Dana White as far as PPV buys now, but it's horrible for the long term, regardless of the outcome... If Brock upsets Couture then the proposed Couture Vs. Fedor Emilianenko fight will be pretty much dead in the water, and would be a disappointing ending to one of the all time greats. If Couture wins this, I then see Nog for the undisputed HW championship, then the mega fight Couture/Fedor.

I'm one of the MMA fans that think that Brock has a long way to go and running him out against one of the all time greats could hurt his hype/draw. You have to respect Dana White for having the sac to put one of his new cash cows up against one of the greatest ever in the sport... Meanwhile, clowns like Kimbo Slice simply get to beat up on cans.

I think Nog is kinda getting effed in this whole deal, but since he is doing TUF - I guess he will have to wait his turn. I think Lesnar has the skills to take Randy out- just has to fight smart.

This weekends card looks great - Chuck, Rich - and Hendo is gonna have his hands full - one of my guys from TUF, Matt Brown is on the undercard as well -

can't wait

Not to worry, Nog will dismantle Mir then Couture or Lesner. Lesner has the talent, but has yet to refine his skills enough for Randy Couture. Anything Brock does, Couture will have seen it many, many times before. I have a felling the old man will be giving Brock fits.

And I'm ready for this weekend. I've got Chuck by knockout with the right hook.

Hendo by whatever he wants, and in my upset of the night, Ultimate nice guy Matt Hamil taking out Ultimate good guy Rich Franklin.

Really? If he loses he drops to 1-2 and starts to look like an even bigger circus act. Lesner's entire game is knocking someone down then going to the lay and pray for the entire fight... Not he, nor Fedor, nor anyone is going to simply hold Couture down. I see Couture winning because, well, he's Randy Freaking Couture. That's what he does.

It makes sense for Dana White as far as PPV buys now, but it's horrible for the long term, regardless of the outcome... If Brock upsets Couture then the proposed Couture Vs. Fedor Emilianenko fight will be pretty much dead in the water, and would be a disappointing ending to one of the all time greats. If Couture wins this, I then see Nog for the undisputed HW championship, then the mega fight Couture/Fedor.

I'm one of the MMA fans that think that Brock has a long way to go and running him out against one of the all time greats could hurt his hype/draw. You have to respect Dana White for having the sac to put one of his new cash cows up against one of the greatest ever in the sport... Meanwhile, clowns like Kimbo Slice simply get to beat up on cans.

I just don't think losing to perhaps the greatest in the sports history in Couture makes him a circus act. Lesnar's got a tremendous future in the sport -- only way he wouldn't is if he quit -- which is possible. Lesnar's gameplan is really no different than say Rashad Evans (who has quickly shot up the ranks.....believe me, I can't stand to watch his bouts, but he just wins).

Fedor/Couture I don't think will happen due to contract issues. Couture will be 46-47 when it'd even be possible to happen.

I really love the move by White. I don't think you get Couture back w/o this HUGE $$ fight with Lesnar. Lesnar's a huge draw right now. And I think you have to live in the present. A couple more losses and he's not going to be the draw he is now. Potential will draw $$. If Lesnar wins this fight, he moves to the top of the $$ making chain next to Silva in the UFC (one that needs one right now with Ortiz gone/Liddel, Hughes, Couture aging/Rampage gone nuts).

Outside of Griffin/Silva, I can't think of many guys that are going to draw big in the UFC. Maybe throw Penn in that discussion, I view him as a great fighter but not one that's a great draw.

-----------------------------

I'm really looking forward to the Matt Hammil fight.

I just don't think losing to perhaps the greatest in the sports history in Couture makes him a circus act. Lesnar's got a tremendous future in the sport -- only way he wouldn't is if he quit -- which is possible. Lesnar's gameplan is really no different than say Rashad Evans (who has quickly shot up the ranks.....believe me, I can't stand to watch his bouts, but he just wins).

Fedor/Couture I don't think will happen due to contract issues. Couture will be 46-47 when it'd even be possible to happen.

I really love the move by White. I don't think you get Couture back w/o this HUGE $$ fight with Lesnar. Lesnar's a huge draw right now. And I think you have to live in the present. A couple more losses and he's not going to be the draw he is now. Potential will draw $$. If Lesnar wins this fight, he moves to the top of the $$ making chain next to Silva in the UFC (one that needs one right now with Ortiz gone/Liddel, Hughes, Couture aging/Rampage gone nuts).

Outside of Griffin/Silva, I can't think of many guys that are going to draw big in the UFC. Maybe throw Penn in that discussion, I view him as a great fighter but not one that's a great draw.

Him losing will hurt his PPV buys as he's 1-2 and will have the die-hards saying he's a circus act. I see him when already is a circus act due to his WWE background and his punkass actions in the Herring fight... He does have a lot of upside in the sport, but he's got to be able to do more than lay and pray, and who knows what his chin is like. Those are things we'll find out in the next year or two. Rashad Evans has had plenty of fights, Lesnar has had two, and lost one of them.

Dana White publicly said when Affliction folds he's going to pay Fedor. He said it's going to happen, so I'll take his word for it, and what difference does it matter if Couture is 46 or 47 when the fight happens? I don't see him just suddenly dropping off.

And as far as the Money making guys, GSP brings in ratings, especially to the Canadian market.

Even if Brock pulls one out, he'll be murdered by Nog.

seriously dood?? Randy is 16-8 and has not fought anyone good since Chuck beat his ass in 05 and 06 - Randy is popular, but let's get real here- he is more of an ambassador and figurehead of MMA than "the greatest in the sport" . At 45 he is overrated and even the inexperienced Lesnar has a decent shot at him- Fedor and Nog will murder him and AA and Cro Cop would take him as well IMO

Lesnar is such a HUGH draw Dana is giving him these fighrts before he has earned them bc of his PPV draw in a weak heavyweight division for the time being. He has talent and a nice future, but the guy is 1-1 so time will tell

Griffin/Silva?? don't see that fight ever happening - the biggest upcoming fights will be Chuck/Griffin and Penn/GSP (looking like it may happen) maybe Penn? he is arguably the most liked and popular fighter in the game

if Spider does go up to LHW - well, then a Chuck/Spider fight would be off the charts IMO

seriously dood?? Randy is 16-8 and has not fought anyone good since Chuck beat his ass in 05 and 06 - Randy is popular, but let's get real here- he is more of an ambassador and figurehead of MMA than "the greatest in the sport" . At 45 he is overrated and even the inexperienced Lesnar has a decent shot at him- Fedor and Nog will murder him and AA and Cro Cop would take him as well IMO

Lesnar is such a HUGH draw Dana is giving him these fighrts before he has earned them bc of his PPV draw in a weak heavyweight division for the time being. He has talent and a nice future, but the guy is 1-1 so time will tell

Griffin/Silva?? don't see that fight ever happening - the biggest upcoming fights will be Chuck/Griffin and Penn/GSP (looking like it may happen) maybe Penn? he is arguably the most liked and popular fighter in the game

if Spider does go up to LHW - well, then a Chuck/Spider fight would be off the charts IMO

Your calling Couture overrated? :D Couture's far from overrated. He's one of the most accomplished fighters in MMA history and his biggest asset is his ability to game plan for an opponent and execute the game plan (see Sylvia). Lesnar's an imposing figure with a ton of potential but there's no doubt that he will be outclassed in the ring by Couture. Fedor and Nog might beat him but Cro Cop ... give me a break! :wacko:

Edited by theprofessor

I disagree big time.

I am just now starting to get into the UFC and MMA in general, so forgive my newbishness. I have followed Brocks wresting (both "pro" and college) and also his attempt at the NFL. I also saw his match against MIr as well. Hes a big strong dude with some hard as punches, but I don't get how he gets to fight for the title with only 2 fights total and one of them beign a loss. Can one of you vets splain to me how they determine who gets what fights? Is it pretty much just DW's call?

I don't think he was suggesting that Griffin and Silva are going to ever fight... I believe he was just stating that they (individually) are the two biggest draws. I could be wrong, though... just my take on it.

I don't claim to be an MMA expert by any means, but I have watched pretty much every televised MMA event in the past few years, and here are my thoughts:

Lesnar has tons of POTENTIAL, but he is still very raw. He was able to win his last fight with sheer power, but not much finesse. He learned just enough from the Mir fight to not get caught by another crafty veteran in Herring (although Herring does not have the submission skills of Mir). Nevertheless, it was a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, he acted like a complete azz during and after the fight, and needs to grow up. I think his emotions got the best of him, and he lost it for a minute... went back to his professional wrestler mentality. Made him look like a complete joke, IMO. The old saying "act like you've been there before" comes to mind... That's the thing... he HASN"T been there before. Never won a meaningful "fight" in his life that wasn't staged. Didn't know how to handle the emotion that comes with winning... possibly winning a fight that he himself wasn't even sure he would win.

I can't see Chuck fighting Silva, but if they did, I think he would be destroyed by him. On the other hand, nobody seems to give the Spider much of a challenge... maybe it will take a crafty veteran with heavy hands who is on the backside of his career (like Liddell) to beat Anderson Silva.

Couture is a 46 year old in a 36 year old's body. In my opinion, he hasn't lost much more than Chuck. Like others have mentioned, Couture's biggest strength is his ability to plan for his opponent, work his game plan, and take them out of theirs. The Gonzaga fight comes to mind... A lot of people thought Gonzaga was going to dominate Couture. It was the exact opposite. Made Gonzaga look like he'd never been in the octagon before.

I like both Arlovsky and Cro Cop, but I just don't get where you think either of them would handle Randy Couture?? Both still may have a few good fights left in the tank, but they've also both shown some weaknesses and seem to be on the downside of their careers as well.

Regardless, everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion, and I enjoy chatting with some of you fellow fans out there... Looking forward to tomorrow night... Franklin/Hamill should be interesting, and a couple of the other fights as well. Tim Boetsch has cement blocks for hands. I'm hoping we get to see him fight again. Also, the Tavares/Pellegrino fight might be good. That's my only complaint about these PPV cards... sometimes we miss the best fights of the night. For 50 bucks a pop, I don't see why we can't see an extra hour of undercard fights. :wacko:

If Chuck can knock out Couture twice, Lesnar will destroy him in a brawl.

Lesnar has alot of talent, but has to stay off the ground unless hes mounting someone and pounding his ass. Randy is too savvy for Lesnar to be careless.

GSP will whip Penn again if they meet.

And Chuck wins easily tomorrow night.

I want to see Chuck kick titos ass again. That was hilarious hearing Tito still not give Chuck props after the fight.

and Penn/GSP (looking like it may happen) maybe Penn?

Last weekend in January.

I am just now starting to get into the UFC and MMA in general, so forgive my newbishness. I have followed Brocks wresting (both "pro" and college) and also his attempt at the NFL. I also saw his match against MIr as well. Hes a big strong dude with some hard as punches, but I don't get how he gets to fight for the title with only 2 fights total and one of them beign a loss. Can one of you vets splain to me how they determine who gets what fights? Is it pretty much just DW's call?

It's all about PPV buys. Dana and his matchmaker always have the final say.

Lesnar has alot of talent, but has to stay off the ground unless hes mounting someone and pounding his ass. Randy is too savvy for Lesnar to be careless.

GSP will whip Penn again if they meet.

And Chuck wins easily tomorrow night.

I want to see Chuck kick titos ass again. That was hilarious hearing Tito still not give Chuck props after the fight.

Lesnar hasn't shown he can take a punch, nor has he ever stood up. You're assuming a lot here. Couture isn't going to go in with a brawling mentality so I doubt it comes to this.

GSP was losing to Penn before Penn broke ribs and lost a SPLIT decision. Penn will win.

Agree with you on Chuck though.

GSP will whip Penn again if they meet..

No way Couture lets it get to a brawl. Randy's too smart for that. Randy submits him or scores a unanimous decision.

I also don't see GSP beating Penn. BJ has the better ground game and his stand up is much improved and one of the best in the game right now. It would be one of the greatest matchups in UFC history.

Edited by theprofessor

Your calling Couture overrated? :D Couture's far from overrated. He's one of the most accomplished fighters in MMA history and his biggest asset is his ability to game plan for an opponent and execute the game plan (see Sylvia). Lesnar's an imposing figure with a ton of potential but there's no doubt that he will be outclassed in the ring by Couture. Fedor and Nog might beat him but Cro Cop ... give me a break! :wacko:

at this point in his career - that is exactly what I am saying- 45, with a record of 4-3 OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS, and 6-5 in his last 11 fights