[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Funeral processions

detlef

funny, but I don't think anyone does a funeral procession just for the sake of driving around and imposing their cult on your very tender sensibilities. I think they do it because the funeral service is in one place, the burial is in another, and they want to get people from one place to another without anybody getting lost or being distracted by driving.

Well, besides that not explaining why they shut down both lanes of the freeway, you do realize that funerals are not the only events where people from out of town need to get from one place to another. Why don't we shut down the streets all the time?

However, I do think the procession is precisely what I am claiming it to be, somebody's idea of how to honor the dead rather than simply a handy way to get people from one place to another. In particular, the church's way of honoring the dead. Didn't they used to carry the body of important members of the kingdom through the village with people marching behind on the way to the pyre? Was that so out of villagers wouldn't have to bust out their Garmins?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you complain about disrespectful customers daily yet dont want to show any respect for the deceased AND their families.

:wacko:

Oh my word. First off, I complain, yes. I complain about stupid customers because they cause me undo hassle. Because they unknowingly might be actually ruining the very industry that they're complaining about and creating a situation where nobody but massive chains may be able to survive. I laugh at silly request. I could give two craps about customers "disrespecting me". I do care when they're disrespectful to other customers, mind you, but that is not the issue.

Now on to your pathetic, knee-jerk, if I had a freaking clue I wouldn't know what to do with it point. How do you feel about TD celebrations? Do you think the guy should just hand the ball over to the ref, or do you think he should run a lap around the field showing the ball to everyone and holding up the game? If you take issue with a guy runs around the stadium holding up the game, are you failing to show him the proper respect?

Now, of course, your uncle passing is far more important than a TD. All the more reason to show some f'ing class and not expect everyone to stop what they're doing even if they had no idea the guy ever existed.

I mean, why should we just stop what we're doing if we happen to be on the freeway that you want to co-opt. Seems like a pretty random ceremony. Why not just take a constant moment of silence for every person everywhere who just died?

What about parades and block parties ? there are other non necessary things that sometimes shut down travel routes. Are they all bad ?

Don't get me started on parades

As for downtown festivals and such? Is that what you're talking about? That is a community use of public lands that brings vitality and exposure to the area and helps local businesses. No problems at all.

If you're talking about actual block parties? Where a bunch of families in the burbs shut down their street? Where everyone who might actually drive down that road is likely at the aforementioned party? I'm cool with that as well.

Why don't you mention the fact that in North Carolina, it is the law that you MUST stop and pay respects to the dead when going down the street. Here in Virginny, where we hate the living as much as the dead, we just fly by them in the left lane and cut off the procession to make the right into Burger King. The bass turds.

Change the law in yer ass backwards Bible toting people dying without thought to my well being state. While you're at it...Tarheels and Blue Devils suck.

Are you sure that it was a RELIGION that decided (much to the dismay of your more intelligent view of things) that funeral processions should hold up important people like you? Are you sure it wasn't the funeral industry that worked this out. Just asking.

So when someone in your family dies, you will use your vacation time to go to the funeral, right? You wouldn't want the disinterested important people in your company to take the hit from your selfish lack of productivity for whatever cult activity you attend?

Geebus, lighten up Francis.

You know, the propeller on your beanie would probably look like enough a funeral procession flag from a distance. Why don't you take it off your head and stick in on the roof of your car, and enjoy the freedom on the roads!

Edited by Bengal Mania

Don't get me started on parades

As for downtown festivals and such? Is that what you're talking about? That is a community use of public lands that brings vitality and exposure to the area and helps local businesses. No problems at all.

If you're talking about actual block parties? Where a bunch of families in the burbs shut down their street? Where everyone who might actually drive down that road is likely at the aforementioned party? I'm cool with that as well.

Thats a reach.......out

Are you sure that it was a RELIGION that decided (much to the dismay of your more intelligent view of things) that funeral processions should hold up important people like you? Are you sure it wasn't the funeral industry that worked this out. Just asking.

So when someone in your family dies, you will use your vacation time to go to the funeral, right? You wouldn't want the disinterested important people in your company to take the hit from your selfish lack of productivity for whatever cult activity you attend?

Geebus, lighten up Francis.

You know, the propeller on your beanie would probably look like enough a funeral procession flag from a distance. Why don't you take it off your head and stick in on the roof of your car, and enjoy the freedom on the roads!

Are you so sure that the church's influence on society has as little to do with the funeral industry as you imply?

If someone's company wants to provide paid leave to allow people to grieve for their departed, that's a fine perk and not entirely unlike sick leave or personal days. Grief and depression are no less serious than the flu and people need to be able to deal with such things. If you take my distaste with parading dead bodies around streets to mean that people should be ambivalent about the death of their loved ones, then you, sir, are the one that needs to lighten up. Either that or you need to actually learn to read.

Oz is at it again.

Well, now you've finally got it right. Yes, this time, I'm on my high horse. For not the first time, I might add.

Let us not confuse this, however, with the thread where I very accurately pointed out that you were a crying, hypocritical little punk ass who was accusing everyone of doing precisely what you were pretty much the only one guilty of.

That, my alpha piss ant would be the difference, wouldn't it.

1) Are you so sure that the church's influence on society has as little to do with the funeral industry as you imply?

2) If someone's company wants to provide paid leave to allow people to grieve for their departed, that's a fine perk and not entirely unlike sick leave or personal days. Grief and depression are no less serious than the flu and people need to be able to deal with such things. If you take my distaste with parading dead bodies around streets to mean that people should be ambivalent about the death of their loved ones, then you, sir, are the one that needs to lighten up. Either that or you need to actually learn to read.

1) I don't know, I was asking. Very well may be the reason. Your tangent into religion's influence on your commute just made me wonder.

2) I never saw a funeral PARADE (as in parading dead bodies). I"ve never had candy thrown to me, or got to watch cheerleaders or guys in fez's riding figure eights on tricycles. If you are implying that getting an opportunity for such a parade is not something worth stopping traffic for, then I don't know what planet you're from.

I have only seen funeral PROCESSIONS, which is merely a line of cars getting from one part of the days events to another. (I admit the procession includes one car with a dead body in it. The fact that that car always gets to be in front of the procession must be a perk for the dead bestowed by religion. I'm with you though, why not let the dead guy bring up the rear, what does he care?).

While we're on the subject of actual parades, meaning real parades, why the hell do they get to stop traffic until the whole damned parade gets around the corner? F'n religion!

Edited by Bengal Mania

Why don't you mention the fact that in North Carolina, it is the law that you MUST stop and pay respects to the dead when going down the street. Here in Virginny, where we hate the living as much as the dead, we just fly by them in the left lane and cut off the procession to make the right into Burger King. The bass turds.

Change the law in yer ass backwards Bible toting people dying without thought to my well being state. While you're at it...Tarheels and Blue Devils suck.

I thought we only hated NON REDSKIN fans? :wacko:

Sounds like a local kid really got screwed by the whole freeway debacle...

You want compassion?

Stanlish, a factory worker and poet, was to meet Causley in the alley behind her parent’s Durham residence at precisely 4:15 so they could run away together. She was to be on a 5:30 flight to Singapore as her father, a surgeon, had taken a job overseas and the entire family was moving there.

That’s when fate dealt the two lovers a cruel blow. Stanlish blew a tire on Interstate 85 but was able to repair the damage and likely would have made his rendezvous were it not for getting caught behind a funeral procession that took up both lanes of Southbound Hwy 147, holding up many cars for a five mile stretch of road.

“I was late by 2 minutes! Even with the other delays, I would have made it on time and Sherry and I would be together right now. Now she’s forced to live with those evil people.”

According to Stanlish, both of Causley’s parents were abusive and cruel.

“Once they grounded her for 3 months, making her scrub the floors everyday with a toothbrush because she broke a plate while washing dishes. These were cruel people and I just wanted to make a better life for her.”

“It’s just heartbreaking. We loved each other and now I may never see her again. It would have been hard work, but we knew our love would see us through.”

Here's the whole story

Sounds like a local kid really got screwed by the whole freeway debacle...

You want compassion?

Here's the whole story

I'm converted! (Ooops, sorry I used the religious term)

Print me a bumper sticker that reads "The Road to Heaven is only ONE LANE WIDE! Move over Uncle Fred!" and I'll gladly display it on my car.