[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hockey question

Guggs

I don't follow hockey, but when ESPN shows a team's record on the bottom of the screen etc. it says for example, 11-5-2-3, the first, second, and third numbers are probably wins, losses, ties, respectfully, but what does the last number represent? Thanks.

Yes, the 4th number is an OT loss;

Oddly enough, while previously each game had 2 points to be awarded (2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss), with the change in OT rules (they went from 5 men + 1 goalie to 4 men and a goalie), the NHL decided that if a team now loses in OT, they still get the point for the tie, although the winning team still notches 2 points. Makes no sense to me, but what do I know?

The intent with this format was to encourage teams to go for the win, knowing that they would still get a point if they lost. The idea was that teams would press more for the winning goal if they were assured of a minimum of one point. This, in conjunction with the move to 4-on-4, was to reduce the number of ties, to make fans happier. As far as I know, it has worked so far, although there are still a lot of ties.

I think they should make OTs 10 minutes instead of 5. If football games can be lengthened by 25% with an extra quarter for OT, why can't hockey lengthen their games by 16.66%. It's hard to get anything going in hockey in only 5 minutes. Go 4 on 4 for 10 minutes with 0 points to the losers IMHO.

• 1 month later...
GBsucks:

So, what kind of points do you get based upon those 4 numbers? You get 2 points for a win, 0 points for a loss, and 1 point for a tie? What about the 4th number, the number of losses in OT? Why have that number?

if you make it into OT and lose, you still get 1 point. the point is to encourage more aggressive play in OT (they also went to 4-on-4 during OT), as teams usually sat back and protected the tie. in my opinion, the rule (which they just implemented a few years back) has really worked. overtime is usually wide open now, chances going both ways, and you don't see nearly as many ties.