[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Great Depression

Sugar Magnolia

The Clinton and Bush administrations both promoted home ownership and strong-armed firms into giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them. The companies went along with it, knowing they'd be bailed out.

Yep, all those huge multinational banks were dragged kicking and screaming into the mortgage bubble.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, the Community Reinvestment Act from the mid-1990s was not widely welcomed by the bankers at the time...and, again, IIRC, it was a leading source of the current mortgage / housing issues...the "headwaters" of sorts.

IIRC, the Community Reinvestment Act from the mid-1990s was not widely welcomed by the bankers at the time...and, again, IIRC, it was a leading source of the current mortgage / housing issues...the "headwaters" of sorts.

IMO, trying to pin the current situation on the CRA is misguided as most of the subprime loans were not made by banks that had any obligation (such that there even was any) to the CRA.

(Edited to add: But I think we are really going to hear a lot of people try to blame the crisis on the CRA for a few reasons (1) some people don't want to admit/accept that markets can fail on their own (2) some people like to blame government policies for problems, especially policies that might be viewed as "do-gooder" policies (3) for purely political reasons some people will want to blame a policy that was mostly intended to help minority families because it will help them with the implication that a minority who suddenly came into a position of power would expand such policies even at the expense of the overall economy (I can't say what particular minority I might be implying here for fear that it would cause this thread to get deleted).)

Edited by wiegie

IMO, trying to pin the current situation on the CRA is misguided as most of the subprime loans were not made by banks that had any obligation (such that there even was any) to the CRA.

Could be. Again, I'm not claiming to have a view on this...just thought I'd bring it up. I haven't had a chance to read much about this in the press due to other committments, and the CRA just sorta popped in my head as being a possible culprit.

(Edited to add: But I think we are really going to hear a lot of people try to blame the crisis on the CRA for a few reasons (1) some people don't want to admit/accept that markets can fail on their own (2) some people like to blame government policies for problems, especially policies that might be viewed as "do-gooder" policies (3) for purely political reasons some people will want to blame a policy that was mostly intended to help minority families because it will help them with the implication that a minority who suddenly came into a position of power would expand such policies even at the expense of the overall economy (I can't say what particular minority I might be implying here for fear that it would cause this thread to get deleted).)

1) Good point. They can fail all by themselves.

2) True. "Do-gooder" policies can be easy targets ... just like "corporate welfare" policies get blamed.

3) Dangerous path ... for the sake of all the good dialog in this thread, PLEASE (to everyone else reading it) do not comment on this particular part of this post. Don't need to get the thread gun out. :wacko:

There was a bunch of pressure from congress to industry to extend the "American Dream" of home ownership to broader cross sections of the citizenry. I know that GWB talked about this a bunch in his first term. I believe that Clinton did as well.

So, IIRC, Congress mandated some things for banks to do, and then, with the new rules, banks (and others) figured out how to make a bunch of money using these new rules ... and for years, Congress didn't do much with oversight of the rules or enforcing the rules ... and companies continued making money and taking even more concentrated types of hard to understand risks ...

I wonder how Lou Ranieri feels about all of this?

fwiw, I'm starting to have my doubts about this whole bailout plan

So, printing up a trillion dollars and handing it out to all these failing companies is going to cause massive inflation, right?

What's the safe play here... keep my money in the market so it inflates with the dollar, or get the hell out and wait for the loud boom?

I looked last night, and my 401K and IRA don't seem to have a gold option.

You can invest your IRA in gold (even gold bullion). You may have to get a different custodian (i.e., you may not be able to keep it at TD Ameritrade, or wherever).