[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is soccer bashing still cool?

bconngemini

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am considering dropping it. Its just not worth liking a sport that causes you to be called a fag.

That is about the worst excuse for dropping something that I have ever heard. Who give a flying F what other people think? Screw 'em. I like what I like, listen to what I want to listen to, read what I want to read, and watch what I want to watch without taking one persons view into consideration about what I may be or not be. I'm me..... F 'em if they can't take a joke.

That is about the worst excuse for dropping something that I have ever heard. Who give a flying F what other people think? Screw 'em. I like what I like, listen to what I want to listen to, read what I want to read, and watch what I want to watch without taking one persons view into consideration about what I may be or not be. I'm me..... F 'em if they can't take a joke.

Were you born in a foreign country? If you were its easier for you because you can call upon ethnic ties as as excuse. I'm a red blooded american though...its tough to become a fan when everyone around you hates it and you get ridiculed for bringing it up :wacko:

Maybe I should try following rugby, but thats even more difficult that following soccer. I don';t think they ever broadcast that here.

Rugby has more blood and broken bones than any of our sports, yet we don't watch it. Boxing has been declining in popularity for decades to being almost irrelevant here, although its more violent than any mainstream sport. And from what I've seen so far, soccer is much more violent than baseball. But then again soccer players do pretend to be injured and dive for penalties...maybe that's why we hate it?

Rugby is a gentleman's sport. Less blood and broken bones. You only get hit if you have the ball and then the perfect tackle in Rugby takes the runner to the ground quickly so the ball has to be released. You don't hit someone around the neck to take their head off because the play never ends. Give me 15 minutes in front of a TV with Rugby on it and I could convince any huddler that it is a fun, exciting game. I don't think that's the case with Soccer.

Rugby is a gentleman's sport. Less blood and broken bones. You only get hit if you have the ball and then the perfect tackle in Rugby takes the runner to the ground quickly so the ball has to be released. You don't hit someone around the neck to take their head off because the play never ends. Give me 15 minutes in front of a TV with Rugby on it and I could convince any huddler that it is a fun, exciting game. I don't think that's the case with Soccer.

From what I know, rugby has an even smaller fanbase than soccer in our country, despite not being hated like soccer. Do they even show rugby on TV?

Thanks, but you didn't answer my question. We hate soccer because "nothing ever happens"?

Most football games would have as much scoring as soccer if each touchdown was worth only 1 point. Here are all NFL games from 2006 with soccer style scoring where 1 touchdown = 1 point:

http://ideas.repec.org/zimm/experimental/nfl2006.html

Would we hate football if the NFL reported its scores as 3-1 instead of 21-7? A 1-0 baseball game is considered as a masterpiece and highly exciting, but a 1-0 soccer game is considered "really, really, really boring".

Is a sport in which NOTHING ever happens and there is NEVER any scoring something that appeals to all other people except us? Do they hate instant gratification? Why can't 95% of the people on this planet see soccer the same way we see it, as nothing and boring?

I personally find soccer very, very , very boring to watch but have the same opinion about baseball. I am still going to watch football even if they change the scoring because I understand the game and its intricacies and like the physicality of it. I could be convinced to watch soccer if they started hammering each other similar to rugby or Australian rules football.

Were you born in a foreign country? If you were its easier for you because you can call upon ethnic ties as as excuse. I'm a red blooded american though...its tough to become a fan when everyone around you hates it and you get ridiculed for bringing it up :wacko:

Maybe I should try following rugby, but thats even more difficult that following soccer. I don't think they ever broadcast that here.

No..I was not born in a foreign country. I was a "red blooded American" long before you were.

It will be a sad day when someone dictates to me what I can like and can't like. A very sad day indeed.

ESPN used to broadcast Australian Rules Football. (A form of rugby LOL) But yeah, you aren't going to get much rugby here. Shame...it's a good game.

I suppose you worry about liking curling too. Lord knows 98% of everyone here gets down on people that like curling. Same category as soccer.

I don't understand why you need external validation of something you enjoy. I guess it's too bad that you are finding it hard to share this thing that you enjoy with other people, but that shouldn't cause you to change how you feel about it. Actual homosexuals get called "gay" all the time, but they don't let that stop them from scuffing up their knees when the urge hits em. Right Chavez? Anyway, the lesson here is to embrace your lighter side, and to heck with all of those meanies.

I actually had a discussion about this with my colleagues over lunch one day when I was in Germany.

One person made the observation that Europeans' like of soccer and Americans' dislike of soccer stems from fundamental views about society. Europeans are much more likely to think that luck plays a roll in determining a person's place in their society, while Americans like to view their society as a meritocracy (where a person's place in society is a direct function of the person's deservedness through his or her own efforts). The person argued that luck plays an important role in soccer (meaning that an inferior team could end up beating a superior team fairly regularly just do to a single lucky bounce or referee's decision). (Note that I'm not talking about a situation in which a typically bad team plays the game of their lives and ends up winning--Americans like that sort of thing. I'm talking about cases in which a team gets completely outplayed, but still ends up winning due to one lucky fluke.) Europeans are willing to accept such outcomes because that is how they view life. But Americans are driven nuts by a system in which the more deserving team doesn't win much more often than not.

No..I was not born in a foreign country. I was a "red blooded American" long before you were.

It will be a sad day when someone dictates to me what I can like and can't like. A very sad day indeed.

ESPN used to broadcast Australian Rules Football. (A form of rugby LOL) But yeah, you aren't going to get much rugby here. Shame...it's a good game.

I suppose you worry about liking curling too. Lord knows 98% of everyone here gets down on people that like curling. Same category as soccer.

I'm not saying others will dictate to me what I like. But a big part of an appeal of a sport is the "belongingness" and identity to a community that the sport makes you feel, a big point of sports is being able to discuss it with other people and feeling as if you are part of a community. How fun would baseball and football be if you were the only who liked them and every else hated it, and you had no one to talk to about them?

Don't know anything about curling, and I've never heard someone call curling sissy and gay and very,very, very boring. People generally never talk about it and there are no curling-bashing articles or TV reports. Why would anyone bash curling, its irrelevant in this world, just like sumo wrestling or say shuffleboard. Soccer on the other hand gets a smorgasbord of bashing.

I'm not saying others will dictate to me what I like. But a big part of an appeal of a sport is the "belongingness" and identity to a community that the sport makes you feel, a big point of sports is being able to discuss it with other people and feeling as if you are part of a community.

This is a chick, 100% guaranteed.

Well, I am cosidering dropping it. Its just not worth liking a sport that causes you to be called a fag.

I'm not saying others will dictate to me what I like. But a big part of an appeal of a sport is the "belongingness" and identity to a community that the sport makes you feel, a big point of sports is being able to discuss it with other people and feeling as if you are part of a community. How fun would baseball and football be if you were the only who liked them and every else hated it, and you had no one to talk to about them?

Don't know anything about curling, and I've never heard someone call curling sissy and gay and very,very, very boring. People generally never talk about it and there are no curling-bashing articles or TV reports. Why would anyone bash curling, its irrelevant in this world, just like sumo wrestling or say shuffleboard. Soccer on the other hand gets a smorgasbord of bashing.

Well sure you are letting others dictate what you like. Look at the top quote.

I have gone years....and even more years... without talking to anyone about soccer. I have no sense that I need to belong to a community just to like a sport. Every once in awhile I would hear someone say something and get into a decent conversation.... and not once did anyone that could overhear us jump in and give hate comments. They didn't even look at us like we were from Mars or somewhere like that. You like what you like because it is interesting to you....not so you can shoot the bull with a bunch of people. I know of a bar in Seattle that all they do is talk about soccer. Even have a direct feed from the UK for games. No one has torched that place yet and it's been there for years.

As far as curling bashing.... I think you just did by calling it irrelevant. Along with Sumo wrestling. You know that they show both on ESPN? Or at least they used to. During the last winter olympics all you saw here was curling bashing. No biggie.... they just don't get to see blood when curling is on. No car wrecks or wrenched necks. It's all cool.

Soccer has it's share of broken bones and blood being let...

And 99% of it happens in the stands.

Sorry, but any sport where the spectators riot on a regular basis is not cool.

"Hey, wanna to go a soccer game?"

"Sure! Sounds AWESOME!"

DOes that make the whole world overseas homosexual...why don't they see it as feminine like we do? I don't get how our opinion can be so opposite to the rest of humanity. Why can't everyone else except us understand that soccer is "very very homospectacular"????

because they are gay. duh. was this supposed to be a trick question? :D

I actually had a discussion about this with my colleagues over lunch one day when I was in Germany.

One person made the observation that Europeans' like of soccer and Americans' dislike of soccer stems from fundamental views about society. Europeans are much more likely to think that luck plays a roll in determining a person's place in their society, while Americans like to view their society as a meritocracy (where a person's place in society is a direct function of the person's deservedness through his or her own efforts). The person argued that luck plays an important role in soccer (meaning that an inferior team could end up beating a superior team fairly regularly just do to a single lucky bounce or referee's decision). (Note that I'm not talking about a situation in which a typically bad team plays the game of their lives and ends up winning--Americans like that sort of thing. I'm talking about cases in which a team gets completely outplayed, but still ends up winning due to one lucky fluke.) Europeans are willing to accept such outcomes because that is how they view life. But Americans are driven nuts by a system in which the more deserving team doesn't win much more often than not.

yeah, 'cause luck plays no part in football. :D your european "colleagues" (:wacko:) obviously take it in the butt and hate america.

because they are gay. duh. was this supposed to be a trick question? :D

yeah, 'cause luck plays no part in football. :D your european "colleagues" (:wacko:) obviously take it in the butt and hate america.

Using the word "colleague" is gay in it's own right. Why does Wiegie hate America?