[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pistol Question

Perchoutofwater

I have two questions, they are seperate. Chuck's thread on the 1911 got me to thinking. I've also got an interest in deer hunting with pistol. I would imagine that anything that would be large enough to take down a deer in a humane way would probably not be something that you would want to use as your regular shooter just because of the recoil, so I'd like to have the questions below answered seperately.

1. If you could have just one hand gun that is $1,500 or lower what would it be.

2. If you wanted to start hunting deer with a handgun what would you use?

I have two questions, they are seperate. Chuck's thread on the 1911 got me to thinking. I've also got an interest in deer hunting with pistol. I would imagine that anything that would be large enough to take down a deer in a humane way would probably not be something that you would want to use as your regular shooter just because of the recoil, so I'd like to have the questions below answered seperately.

1. If you could have just one hand gun that is $1,500 or lower what would it be. My .45

2. If you wanted to start hunting deer with a handgun what would you use?I don't see a need to hunt deer with a pistol but if I did it would still be my .45.

Something about this question makes me want to answer Ruger .44 Redhawk. I think I would never feel "under gunned", or have a malfunction at a critical moment.

The SIG 1911 I linked in the other thread would also be a possible choice. S&W makes some nice 8 shot capacity .357 revolvers as well...

What kind of ranges are you talking about Perch? I wouldn't trust a .45 auto over 25 yards or so for deer. My pick (and I have one and have taken deer with it) would be a Ruger super redhawk in either .44 mag or 454 Casull. I have the .44 mag with a pro-point red-dot on it and take critters out to 100 yards with it.

What kind of ranges are you talking about Perch? I wouldn't trust a .45 auto over 25 yards or so for deer. My pick (and I have one and have taken deer with it) would be a Ruger super redhawk in either .44 mag or 454 Casull. I have the .44 mag with a pro-point red-dot on it and take critters out to 100 yards with it.

100 yds at most, anything more than that, and I would want to use my rifle.

Sometimes I think you're my brotha from anotha motha. :wacko:

< $1500 - you can usually find a used Les Baer (1911) for under $1500 - hell of a pistol your grandson will be shooting long after you're gone.

For hunting: I have a Super Redhawk in .44 Mag. You can get it in bigger calibers like the .454 or .480 Ruger, but I don't see the need. You can get 300 grain hardcast loads from Buffalo Bore that'll be enough medicine for anything in north america. A real upside of this choice is that you can stoke it with .44 special loads and enjoy an afternoon of plinking with it. I've killed deer and a cow elk with mine - no problemo. I shoot rabbits at over 100 yards with mine and I'm no Elmer Keith. It's just an easy gun to shoot well.

Thought I would add: The .45 ACP does a fine job on deer at less than 20 yards.

I shot 1 deer with a 9mm at just under 20 yards and would not do it again. Clean shot, poor terminal performance.

Perch, I've seen the deer in Texas - use whatever you want. They don't look like they take much killin'. :wacko:

Thought I would add: The .45 ACP does a fine job on deer at less than 20 yards.

I shot 1 deer with a 9mm at just under 20 yards and would not do it again. Clean shot, poor terminal performance.

Perch, I've seen the deer in Texas - use whatever you want. They don't look like they take much killin'. :wacko:

It depends on which part of Texas you are hunting it. There are definitely some doggy deer out around Llano and Fredricksburg. I would mainly be using the pistol in east texas where there are not nearly as many deer, but the deer tend to be much larger. Out near Abeline I'll still be using my rifle, but here in East Texas it is heavily wooded (particularly one place I want to hunt) and I was thinking a pistol would be great for that, as the longest shot I'd get in that area is 100 yds or less.

• 1 month later...

Fired my New Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull today for the first time. It didn't come back and hit me in the face. It really wasn't bad at all. My only complaint it is tough getting the 454 spent brass out of the cylinder. The .45 brass comes right out, but the 454 is tough.