[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do The Math

The Wolf

A buddy of mine just emailed this to me. Not sure where it came from so I cannot give proper credit. let's just say I am not smart enough to think of something like this:

I don't know who started this but I wish they were running for

office!

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to all

Americans as a "Dividend".

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000

bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+

Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man,

woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults

18 and up.

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals t

o a hefty "$425,000.00"

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a "Dividend"

Of course, it would NOT be tax free. So let's assume a tax rate

of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes. That

sends $25.5 Billion right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their

pocket. A husband and wife have $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your

family?

Pay off your mortgage - "housing crisis solved"

Repay college loans - "a great boost to new grads"

Put away money for college - "it'll be there"

Save it in a bank - "create money to loan to entrepreneurs"

Buy a new car - "create jobs"

Invest in the market - "capital drives growth"

Pay for your parent's medical insurance =E 2 "health care

improves"

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the

folks who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other

company. If we're going to re-di stribute wealth let's really

do it...instead of trickling out.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out

every adult U S Citizen 18+

As for AIG - liquidate it and Sell off its parts.

Sell off the real estate. Let the private sector bargain

hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and "AIG doesn't" we were

not invited to the last 10 years of "party time" bonuses.

And remember, The this plan only really costs $59.5 Billion

because $25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle

Sam.

A buddy of mine just emailed this to me. Not sure where it came from so I cannot give proper credit. let's just say I am not smart enough to think of something like this:

I don't know who started this but I wish they were running for

office!

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to all

Americans as a "Dividend".

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000

bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+

Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man,

woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults

18 and up.

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals t

o a hefty "$425,000.00"

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a "Dividend"

Of course, it would NOT be tax free. So let's assume a tax rate

of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes. That

sends $25.5 Billion right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their

pocket. A husband and wife have $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your

family?

Pay off your mortgage - "housing crisis solved"

Repay college loans - "a great boost to new grads"

Put away money for college - "it'll be there"

Save it in a bank - "create money to loan to entrepreneurs"

Buy a new car - "create jobs"

Invest in the market - "capital drives growth"

Pay for your parent's medical insurance =E 2 "health care

improves"

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the

folks who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other

company. If we're going to re-di stribute wealth let's really

do it...instead of trickling out.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out

every adult U S Citizen 18+

As for AIG - liquidate it and Sell off its parts.

Sell off the real estate. Let the private sector bargain

hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and "AIG doesn't" we were

not invited to the last 10 years of "party time" bonuses.

And remember, The this plan only really costs $59.5 Billion

because $25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle

Sam.

Exactly, do the real math.

Exactly, do the real math.

It is an interesting concept, but of course, not everything would stay equal...there is no way that nearly $300K is put into every adult's pocket and housing prices remain where they are, as people could pay cash. There is no way that most of this money would be put in the bank to be saved, as most people would choose to spend. Prices, housing costs, price of cars, the price of food, education, etc...it would all increase.

It is an interesting concept, but of course, not everything would stay equal...there is no way that nearly $300K is put into every adult's pocket and housing prices remain where they are, as people could pay cash. There is no way that most of this money would be put in the bank to be saved, as most people would choose to spend. Prices, housing costs, price of cars, the price of food, education, etc...it would all increase.

And that the doing the math yourself shows the actual number being $425 (before taxes).

Edited by Big John

And that the doing the math yourself shows the actual number being $425 (before taxes).

85,000,000,000.00/200,000,000.00 = 425,000

Am I missing something? Did this 5 times on my calculator and I get 425,000.00

Edited by The Wolf

85,000,000,000.00/200,000,000.00 = 425,000

Am I missing something? Did this 5 times on my calculator and I get 425,000.00

Take out the cents and last 6 zeroes in dollars from both (divide each by 1,000,000) to get 85,000 / 200 (same ratio) - That calculates to $425.

Edited by Big John

And somebody asked why I assumed the majority of Americans don't understand the bailout package and the credit crisis...

Wolf not understanding his email = I don't understand the bailout.

Besides "the banks say they need money so let's send 700 bil to them" can you explain how you know this will fix it? Especially when the plan is put forth by people you haven't trusted for year (Bushco) and allows them to control that chunk of change after they leave essentially. Suddnely you trust these people because...your 401k is donde almost 20%.

That's all I have from you.

Please, really, explain it to me.

Wolf not understanding his email = I don't understand the bailout.

Besides "the banks say they need money so let's send 700 bil to them" can you explain how you know this will fix it? Especially when the plan is put forth by people you haven't trusted for year (Bushco) and allows them to control that chunk of change after they leave essentially. Suddnely you trust these people because...your 401k is donde almost 20%.

That's all I have from you.

Please, really, explain it to me.

This has nothing to do with my 401K. This has everything to do with the fact that our entire economy is reliant on credit. Everything runs on credit. I don't claim to have a very indepth knowledge of this topic at all. I don't know if this is "the right bill". I just know we need to do something to loosen the credit markets or we are facing some very bad times.

But, in many ways you are right. Why should we trust anybody in our government or the financial sector to fix the problem. They did cause it. But if they don't fix it, who will? Explain that to me. There's a part of me that wants to jump in with the attitude that we shouldn't do a thing and let the chips fall where they may. My gut tells me that would be a mistake. But what do I know? Probably not much. Carry on.

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do math because some people out there in our nation don't have calculators, and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should... our education over here in the U.S should help the U.S or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.

I didn't know CBS released another Sarah Palin interview segment...

This has nothing to do with my 401K. This has everything to do with the fact that our entire economy is reliant on credit. Everything runs on credit. I don't claim to have a very indepth knowledge of this topic at all. I don't know if this is "the right bill". I just know we need to do something to loosen the credit markets or we are facing some very bad times.

But, in many ways you are right. Why should we trust anybody in our government or the financial sector to fix the problem. They did cause it. But if they don't fix it, who will? Explain that to me. There's a part of me that wants to jump in with the attitude that we shouldn't do a thing and let the chips fall where they may. My gut tells me that would be a mistake. But what do I know? Probably not much. Carry on.

See, I'm not going to pretend to know any more than you but I don't think giving out 700bil to the people who created this mess represents a step in the right direction. Guess what? They're money grubbers. They don't have our best interests at heart, only theirs. See: the lack of will to cut CEOs off from their bailouts just defer them.

In the meantime, over the past week all of the conjecture has done what? AN up and down on the market. And you know what else appears to be happening? The folks who didn't sink their $ into this crap are starting to come out and purchase bargains. In other words, the market is working . It might not be working as well as we like it to but it's working. You might not like the "we might have tough times ahead" buit since there are no promises that the 700bil is going to fix it I'd just as soon save the 700bil for really tough times.

You know what I haven't heard yet that I will be 100% satisfied without? Who the f0k is going to jail? I expect execs all the way down to loaners and loanees who created fraudulent paperwork to receive prison time. It f0king better happen. Part of the reason is for simply more correction: I want a house and I'll happily scoop one up from some fraudulent a-hole. More market at work.

This reminds me of the "gas prices are high and we need to tap the Strategic Oil Reserve" whiny chit from earlier this summer. People are prone to hyperbole and panic thus creating more problems and perpetuating the imagined ones they created in the first place.

Edited by Pope Flick

Is that a government issued calculator?

I am throwing this calculator away...the first time I tried it, I did what BJ did: 85,000/200 = 425. Then I did the full amount, and got 425,000. That's prolly what the person who wrote this did.

Hey...I did mention up front that I am not smart enough to come up with this...

Note to self: check the math before posting and looking like a fool...

Edited by The Wolf

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do math because some people out there in our nation don't have calculators, and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should... our education over here in the U.S should help the U.S or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.

:wacko: well played...

could have used a few more "such as's"

you must have an old calculator that has a character limit?

Nope...it has 12 characters...amazing how this didn't work. I thought the numbers looked funny and should have questioned them before posting.

I am just an idiot. :wacko: