[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Look out Microsoft and Apple

AtomicCEO

AmigaOS 4.1 is in pre-release beta

From its very inception, the Amiga has been about defying conventional wisdom. In the early 1980s, everyone knew that personal computers weren't powerful enough to multitask, but the Amiga proved the naysayers wrong. In the 1990s it was accepted that PCs couldn't possibly edit production-ready video, but the Amiga's Video Toaster add-on changed that and revolutionized the industry.

Sadly, these days the Amiga is no longer breaking new ground technologically. However, the platform continues to defy conventional wisdom by its stubborn refusal to fade into the digital night. Long after most people had given it up for dead, companies such as Hyperion Entertainment Inc. are hard at work improving and enhancing the operating system. I had a chance to look at a preview copy of the latest release, AmigaOS 4.1, and it is an impressive piece of work.

Did anyone use an Amiga back in the day? Commodore collapsed under stupidity when their Amiga product was still viable. I actually worked for a company that started making Amiga clones for 7 years (after they had adapted the hardware for other purposes).

But the machines were 32-bit multitasking multimedia computers in the late 80s, and it took everyone else 10 years to catch up. I've always liked them.

I would venture to guess that few people other than computer nerds and former computer nerds would know about Amiga.

WHAT ???

I had no idea. I had a friend who had one back in high school, and it was a sick games machine. Then I got into video production, and everyone who had at least a 5K budget for equipment had a Video Toaster for editing and effects. I just assumed everyone had at least heard of it.

Huh. I guess Commodore really did screw up the marketing of that product in the US.

AmigaOS 4.1 is in pre-release beta

Did anyone use an Amiga back in the day? Commodore collapsed under stupidity when their Amiga product was still viable. I actually worked for a company that started making Amiga clones for 7 years (after they had adapted the hardware for other purposes).

But the machines were 32-bit multitasking multimedia computers in the late 80s, and it took everyone else 10 years to catch up. I've always liked them.

The semi-crazy but very likable guy who lived in the front of the property when I was in school LOVED his Amiga. He wrote a program around 1990 which he called 'compare file" which is essentially the "Track Changes" feature in word today but didn't even exist back then. I remember him trying to sell it and everyeone was like "why would you need that?"

I remember the video toaster as well.

Interesting to watch in this day and age of open source.

WHAT ???

I had no idea. I had a friend who had one back in high school, and it was a sick games machine. Then I got into video production, and everyone who had at least a 5K budget for equipment had a Video Toaster for editing and effects. I just assumed everyone had at least heard of it.

Huh. I guess Commodore really did screw up the marketing of that product in the US.

I knew about it in gradeschool and middleschool....but forgot about it after awhile...