[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me decide on a TV

Chief Dick

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CD -

We went out looking at TVs yesterday too. They had some very nice prices on the 40" Samsungs. Believe it or not, Sears had a couple TVs at good prices too, and if you register through Fat Wallet, you can get 4% back.

We were really drawn to the Sony W class LCDs last night. They had a 46" on sale at CC for $1299. It's more than we were going to spend but it's 120Hz and 1080p as well. The 50" Panasonic plasma hanging right above it was nice too.

My head hurts.

CD -

We went out looking at TVs yesterday too. They had some very nice prices on the 40" Samsungs. Believe it or not, Sears had a couple TVs at good prices too, and if you register through Fat Wallet, you can get 4% back.

We were really drawn to the Sony W class LCDs last night. They had a 46" on sale at CC for $1299. It's more than we were going to spend but it's 120Hz and 1080p as well. The 50" Panasonic plasma hanging right above it was nice too.

My head hurts.

Yeah, I looked at Sears this morning. They had a good deal there also.

And I went to Best Buy last night. Never again. Too much noise and chaos. Impossible to truly shop for a TV there. TV's are on the walls, but the damn placards are about halfway up the wall and you can barely read them. I will not buy there.

Trying to decide between a couple of 50" 1080p Plasma sets.

The Samsung is at $1,299 and the Panasonic is at $1,699.

I like the picture quality of the Panasonic better but they keep telling me that you can calibrate the different sets to make them look better at home. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. :wacko:

Re: Cables, any advice on IR Repeater Kits?

I'm researching and am looking at this or this.

I use this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2799800

and this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2049642

to control my familyroom tv to watch in the kitchen. Granted I have older models (At least 3 years+ old) They work pretty well, as long as no one is walking thru the field of the signal. FWIW...the main unit is about 25' away from the kitchen and 2 walls. I only have it set up for the cable box and TV, not the DVD or PS3.

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :D

Have found a couple deals locally that rival the Wal-Mart deal, so I'm going shopping again today. The more research I do, the worse it gets trying to decide.

Now I'm wondering if I should go LCD or Plasma. I've settled on Samsung as the brand. I'm concerned about the refresh rate of the LCD's only being 60hz in this price range, and since the majority of what we watch is sports, I'm concerned about seeing a blurred image during fast content.

So now the question is: Plasma or LCD?

My wife last night:

"Are you going to buy the thing or not?" :D

:DWe are very much in the same boat. My wife usually tells me I buy too fast - not this time.

Now looking at a Sharp LCD and a Panny Plamsa at Costco. :wacko:

Update:

Everything was going great this morning. Getting ready to head to the store. Wife gets on Travelocity.

Round trip tickets to Honolulu (my brother lives there): $378. Total price for the family to go in January: $1300.

So we may be doing that instead of the TV this year. I will get to see my brother for a couple of weeks.

Damn her. :wacko::D

Update:

Everything was going great this morning. Getting ready to head to the store. Wife gets on Travelocity.

Round trip tickets to Honolulu (my brother lives there): $378. Total price for the family to go in January: $1300.

So we may be doing that instead of the TV this year. I will get to see my brother for a couple of weeks.

Damn her. :wacko::D

Pay him half that to come and see you, then buy your TV! :D

C'mon, man....we spent a lot of time helping you here, and now we'll have to do it all over again in a few months???? :D:D

Pay him half that to come and see you, then buy your TV! :D

C'mon, man....we spent a lot of time helping you here, and now we'll have to do it all over again in a few months???? :wacko::D

I think I'm still on for the TV. Told my wife I would take her to Hawaii if I can still get my TV.

She's good with that, but only because she really wants to go down there. And at that price, we have to go. We will never see that price again for flights.

I think I'm still on for the TV. Told my wife I would take her to Hawaii if I can still get my TV.

She's good with that, but only because she really wants to go down there. And at that price, we have to go. We will never see that price again for flights.

Understand my friend! BUT...I make the decisions in my house, dammit! :D:D Then I ask the wife if it's OK. :wacko: Hey...they own the property if you get my drift. :D

Understand my friend! BUT...I make the decisions in my house, dammit! :D:D Then I ask the wife if it's OK. :wacko: Hey...they own the property if you get my drift. :D

Don't you fret. I now have hand.

I will get the tv: except the stakes jumped up a bit with the Hawaii leverage. I may be able to turn this into a 46" or a 50".

Edited by Chief Dick

:wacko:

It will be this year. I figure I can beat her down by mid January by reminding her daily I gave up my TV so she could have a nice vacation.

Uh huh... right. We will believe it when we see it. :D (We are all waiting with bated breath.)

Seriously... take your time and get the one you really want. Panasonic or Samsung, I don't think you can go wrong either way.