[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MacBook Purchase

Footballjoe

My son recently graduated from High School via Home Schooling. My wife and I are getting him a MacBook. He is into music, big time. Not only does he play but he writes and edits and whatever else those with musical talent do.

It is my understanding that the price of these macs are set by Apple and there are no sales. I went to a local Music store and Best Buy. I was planning on visiting the Apple Store tomorrow. Basically, the ones that are being considered are: below. The middle one seems to be the leader.

M# MB467LL/ A - $1600

2.4 GHz

2 GB

250 GB

M# MB466LL/A - $1300

2.0 GHz

2 GB

160 GB

M# MB402LL/B - $1000

2.1 Ghz

1 GB

120 GB

Does anyone have any of these? Can you make a recommendation? What about discounts? Best Buy wants $400 for a 3 yr extended warranty.

TIA

check out this site, http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php

they are trust worthy and will give good advice.

read thru the threads and get a ton of info also....

check apple.com for their apple care extended warranty. the service is awsome,

plus you can take the computer to an apple store and work stuff out/get fixes at

The Genius Bar....it's worth it....they'l replace it if they can't fix it.

been a Mac owner for many years and just bought a new iMac

edit: Mac doesn't discount their computers very often. they did a black friday sale

but that's about it....maybe save $100. Mac Warehouse, Mac Connection and places like that,

Apple resellers, often offer rebate discounts or free printers etc, but the prices are all about

the same. I bought from the Apple Store online. great service.

Edited by pig devilz

Hey,

I have a macbook from work. It's taken me a while to get used to it, but it's fine. The newer macs are "green" which costs a bit more. If you go to the apple store, you'll see that you can get the white mac book at a slightly lower, but less eco-friendly price. :wacko:

My nephew is wishing for a mac book as well as he too is into music. His guitar teacher recommended REASON software for his composing, to use with GarageBand, which comes on the Mac in the iLife package. Reason costs about $400 unfortunately. Yipes.

Hey,

I have a macbook from work. It's taken me a while to get used to it, but it's fine. The newer macs are "green" which costs a bit more. If you go to the apple store, you'll see that you can get the white mac book at a slightly lower, but less eco-friendly price. :wacko:

My nephew is wishing for a mac book as well as he too is into music. His guitar teacher recommended REASON software for his composing, to use with GarageBand, which comes on the Mac in the iLife package. Reason costs about $400 unfortunately. Yipes.

Reason is a fantastic application.

My son recently graduated from High School via Home Schooling. My wife and I are getting him a MacBook. He is into music, big time. Not only does he play but he writes and edits and whatever else those with musical talent do.

It is my understanding that the price of these macs are set by Apple and there are no sales. I went to a local Music store and Best Buy. I was planning on visiting the Apple Store tomorrow. Basically, the ones that are being considered are: below. The middle one seems to be the leader.

M# MB467LL/ A - $1600

2.4 GHz

2 GB

250 GB

M# MB466LL/A - $1300

2.0 GHz

2 GB

160 GB

M# MB402LL/B - $1000

2.1 Ghz

1 GB

120 GB

Does anyone have any of these? Can you make a recommendation? What about discounts? Best Buy wants $400 for a 3 yr extended warranty.

TIA

I have bought many macs over the years.

My best advice: Spend as much as you can stomach without climbing the curve too high. I mean....the $1600 is worth the extra $ in processor speed for what you will get in longevity. The extra HD space is nice, too. What you get out of a $2700 macbook pro is not worth the climb in $ for you.

The Ram is fine, for now. Over time, maybe for a birthday or something you can consider upgrading the RAM. More is better, of course, and more will have a significant effect on the speed and stability of the OS and programs. More RAM will also lend towards greater longevity.

That computer will last 4+ years without batting an eye. I have mac laptops still in use that are 7-8 years old and running tip-top

Another apple recommended purchase:

Most computer users take buying or otherwise obtaining antivirus software protection for granted as part of normal computer maintenance. However, users of Apple's Macs, while being greatly in the minority compared to PCs for years have most gone with no virus protection. Apple even supported this belief, through ads indicating that Macs don't get viruses. And while Apple's software security-related patching rate is among the worst in the industry, for years Apple was mostly right; its computers just didn't get targeted in great numbers by malicious users.

Recently, however, Mac has been building up a slightly larger market share, thanks to multiple months in the number 3 computer retailer spot. While PCs still greatly outnumber Macs, there are now many more Macs, and that spells trouble for Mac security. This growing problem is exacerbated by Apple's poor patching as was demonstrated at a recent hacker convention, in which an Apple machine was easily compromised a full day before Linux and Windows machines could be.

Now Apple has recognized this new problem and for the first time is recommending its users install antivirus software.

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple%20Tells%20U...rticle13562.htm

That computer will last 4+ years without batting an eye. I have mac laptops still in use that are 7-8 years old and running tip-top

for what it's worth, i have a G4 powerbook i bought in september 2003 that still runs great. i even spilled iced tea (the sugary kind made from the powdery mix) all over it two years ago and thought it was dead, but i was able to clean it myself and got it running again. not saying that you couldn't find a similarly dependable PC laptop, just that i agree with nick that apple builds these to last a long time.