[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting possible playoff "SNAFU"

BeeR

If you play in a league where there are divisions then you need to place each team within its own division place first.

If 2 of the 3 teams are in the same division then you need to figure out which of those 2 have the higher place in that division

Then once that is figured out you compare that other team against the top team in that division and see who won H2H

Then once the winner of that battle gets in to the playoffs you figure out the remaining 2 teams H2H and see who gets in.

Only 1 team can advance to the playoffs at a time. then you go back to step 1 and start over to figure out the next team

If all 3 teams are in the same division and the H2H are tied and division are tied then go to pts scored

If all 3 teams are in different divisions and no team swept the other team then you go straight to pts because division record doesn't matter.

And that my friends is WHMWS

All three teams have played each other. The 1st H2H tiebreaker is in effect unless H2H records are ties, in which case you proceed down the tiebreaker priority list.

MM is 1-1 H2H

BOB is 2-1 H2H

R is 1-2 H2H

BOB gets the playoff spot.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Depends on what precisely is written in the league's rules, but if the rules simply say that the first tiebreaker is H2H, then there is some ambiguity as to how H2H gets applied - some, including you I guess, would say to go to H2H winning percentage, while others, including the NFL, would say H2H only applies where there is a clean sweep involved, and the team that did the clean sweep (or was swept) has to have played every other team in the tiebreaker.

Absent specific clarification in beer's rules, I don't think you can automatically default to H2H winning percentage as the way to apply the H2H tiebreaker.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Depends on what precisely is written in the league's rules, but if the rules simply say that the first tiebreaker is H2H, then there is some ambiguity as to how H2H gets applied - some, including you I guess, would say to go to H2H winning percentage, while others, including the NFL, would say H2H only applies where there is a clean sweep involved, and the team that did the clean sweep (or was swept) has to have played every other team in the tiebreaker.

Bolded was the old NFL rule for all instances, still applies for the wildcard spots only.

Current rule for division winner is: "1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs)."

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Had to correct my error. :wacko:

Edited by Big John

FYI, the H2H is not an overall W/L thing. That would be pointless IMO. You look at each pairing to see who beat out who (the idea being I beat you so I get in ahead of you) - but in this case each beat and lose to the other in some way or other.

Yes this is like freaking BCS :wacko:

FYI, the H2H is not an overall W/L thing. That would be pointless IMO. You look at each pairing to see who beat out who (the idea being I beat you so I get in ahead of you) - but in this case each beat and lose to the other in some way or other.

Yes this is like freaking BCS :D

OK.....but Beer......you guys have to write your rules the way you mean them then. Muto is right.....in most leagues, you break the tie within the division first.....then move on to break other ties. Unless you are going for a wildcard spots.....then you should probably have a different set of tiebreaks. But you didn't write them that way.

By the way you had your rules in your post......I believe BB has it right. If your first tiebreak, even for wildcards, is H2H...you look at all three and take their winning percentage against each other. Doesn't matter that two are in one division and played each other twice. What DOES matter is that everyone in the league played all other teams at least ONCE. If that's not the case......you can never have a wildcard tiebreaker as a H2H between more than 2 teams.

Some 16 team leagues don't play all teams in any given year...but probably play all teams within their conference, thus limiting their wildcard spots as so many PER conference. So you would never be deciding between two teams in different conferences for ONE WC slot. You didn't really give us that much detail.....so based on what you DID give us, I think the following becomes valid:

If TWO of these teams get a playoff berth.......your first H2H between all 3 gives BOB the win @ 2-1. BOB is in.....take him out of the equation and now look at H2H between MM and R. MM beat R 1-0. The way I see it....BOB and R get the two wildcard slots. :wacko: