[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Driveway Pavers

BiggieFries

I have a small issue I need some help with. My driveway is made of concrete pavers that look like these: Hover Over The "Bent Creek" Colors

Anyway, there are small oil stains on a number of the pavers from when my father came down and borrowed my cousin's rusted out sh*tbox that apparently leaked oil. I've been trying to clean it up with some degreaser from Home Depot for over a week with no luck. I even asked the opinion of a professional pressure cleaner that was working on my neighbor's house. He basically said I'm screwed.

So, I thought about possibly repainting/staining the pavers. Any opinions on this? Will this work or is it just a waste of time and money? I'd also like to reseal these pavers, but obviously I can't do that until I get those oil stains out (which it seems I can't).

So what say you? Is there any hope for my driveway? Can I just repaint over the oil stains or will it be easier for me to replace the stained bricks?

TIA

I worked for a company that manufactures sealers for interlocking pavingstones. A couple of things for you:

1. In terms of oil stain removal, check out:

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/

This is a citrus based extractor that works wonders...safe to use and very effective. One word of caution - it also tends to clean dirt/discoloring/staining around the oil, sometimes creating a lighter area where the oil stain used to be. As with all of these products, always test a sample area first.

2. In terms of sealing pavers, check out:

www.surebond.com

and click on Hardscape. This is a full line of sealers to enhance and protect pavers. Re-painting or staining pavers isn't really an option - it will not look good. The products are meant to enhance the natural appearance of the stone, which is generally why people select them in the first place (as opposed to poured slab, etc.) As you noted, sealing the pavers can only be done after the surface is how you want it to look, i.e. any stains on the surface prior to sealing will only be enhanced once the product is applied.

Feel free to PM me if you need some more info.

This works pretty well. There is another product I believe is called Re-crete or something like that that would work great, but I can't find it on the net. I'll PM you the name and number of a guy I know that can get you some.

I mis-read this at first thinking the title was Driveway Prayers... mine is: God, please push them all out of my way, or I will. Amen.

:D

i've been amazed at what the pressure water machines can get rid of. if it's safe for the surface, i'd give that a shot for the halibut.

:wacko: The pressure washer, she does nothing! I've tried several times with the pressure washer by itself, the degreaser by itself, and a healthy mix of both. Nothing.

I worked for a company that manufactures sealers for interlocking pavingstones. A couple of things for you:

This is a citrus based extractor that works wonders...safe to use and very effective. One word of caution - it also tends to clean dirt/discoloring/staining around the oil, sometimes creating a lighter area where the oil stain used to be. As with all of these products, always test a sample area first.

www.surebond.com

and click on Hardscape. This is a full line of sealers to enhance and protect pavers. Re-painting or staining pavers isn't really an option - it will not look good. The products are meant to enhance the natural appearance of the stone, which is generally why people select them in the first place (as opposed to poured slab, etc.) As you noted, sealing the pavers can only be done after the surface is how you want it to look, i.e. any stains on the surface prior to sealing will only be enhanced once the product is applied.

This works pretty well. There is another product I believe is called Re-crete or something like that that would work great, but I can't find it on the net. I'll PM you the name and number of a guy I know that can get you some.

Thanks guys! I'll check those out. :D

Here's a dumb question from somebody who knows absolutely nothing about your problem:

Can you just remove the pavers and reinsert them upsids down?

I've done this with couch cushions many a time.

Physically yes, but the pavers are only stained/painted on one side. Might cause even more headaches with the color matching.

Edited by BiggieFries

www.surebond.com

GREAT info here!

And this looks worth a try too!

Physically yes, but the pavers are only stained/painted on one side. Might cause even more headaches with the color matching.

That wasn't a dumb question at all. By the looks from your link, your pavers have a nice gradient of color, so I'm not sure even color "matching" would be a headache. Especially if you know the manufacturer and they still make them. If you had all one flat color brick......then yes...big pain in the butt.

That wasn't a dumb question at all. By the looks from your link, your pavers have a nice gradient of color, so I'm not sure even color "matching" would be a headache. Especially if you know the manufacturer and they still make them. If you had all one flat color brick......then yes...big pain in the butt.

:wacko:

That's a good point. Perhaps we might have to try this then!

Oh.....and Fatman is RIGHT. Concrete "paint" (for outdoors I mean)......I don't care HOW clean your surface is a......PITA! :wacko:

It WILL peal and chip (there MAY be one out there that doesn't.....but I've never seen it) and you are setting yourself up for BIG headaches for years to come. It will be so bad that you'll dream of going back in time to the natural pavers and adoring the the oil stains.....LOL.

Now.....for garages and even basements.....that Epoxy paint.....the one with the flecks you thrown on.....pretty nice. And NatureStone.....really nice.....albeit expensive to have done.

Edited by SteelBunz