[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Madoff victim list

polksalet

Right below that one was a great saying I've never heard.

When the tide goes out you get to see who's peeing in the ocean.

Anyone know where I can find a good write up on exactly what this guy did? I've heard the term Ponzi Scheme before but dont know what it is.

Anyone know where I can find a good write up on exactly what this guy did? I've heard the term Ponzi Scheme before but dont know what it is.

Ponzi Scheme (Wikipedia)

you basically use new investors money to pay out those that have been invested for sometime.

OKay. but how does this make Bernie any money? Just skimming off the top?

could be. most ponzi schemes dont start off as such. usually they are viable businesses that for some reason have a problem and cant meet a pay out or redemption. to cover their tracks they must attract new money to pay out those that are expecting money back. thus the cycle starts and before ya know it, your in over your head. been invested in one, not fun.

Edited by dmarc117

"...as for the whiney-ass former rich, see you at work Monday. Grab a broom and clean up a little before I get in..."

The comments section is quite enlightening.

They had a lady of some magazine on the news last night that lost everything that had to ride the subway to work for the first time ever. She had always taken taxis or town cars. :wacko:

Sucks to be you, little rich lady.

Anyone promising a steady 10-12% return (especially nowadays) is a criminal.

Anyone promising a steady 10-12% return (especially nowadays) is a criminal.

Promise? Yes. Criminal. Regardless of promise / guaranty.

Target? Not at all. I target that sort of return (actually, I target 8-16%), and while there is a chance I won't hit 8% this year, it should be close. Many investors are making money this year, but, then again, these types of investments are not predicated on the stock market going up.

... I feel like a broken record ...

I've been telling the tailgate for years to diversify into investments that may not do as well in a big up year but should do ok in bad years ... to really REALLY diversify ...

For example, I could do a new investment RIGHT NOW that would, under nearly every possible scenario, generate a minimum of an 8% / yr return to investors for the next two to three years. But, I can promise you that it is not a function of hoping that Obama builds a road, or that GE goes up, or, or, or ... Basically, as long as the financial system is solvent and no nuclear weapon is dropped on the middle of Ohio, we should make decent money.

:wacko:

Promise? Yes. Criminal. Regardless of promise / guaranty.

Target? Not at all. I target that sort of return (actually, I target 8-16%), and while there is a chance I won't hit 8% this year, it should be close. Many investors are making money this year, but, then again, these types of investments are not predicated on the stock market going up.

... I feel like a broken record ...

I've been telling the tailgate for years to diversify into investments that may not do as well in a big up year but should do ok in bad years ... to really REALLY diversify ...

For example, I could do a new investment RIGHT NOW that would, under nearly every possible scenario, generate a minimum of an 8% / yr return to investors for the next two to three years. But, I can promise you that it is not a function of hoping that Obama builds a road, or that GE goes up, or, or, or ... Basically, as long as the financial system is solvent and no nuclear weapon is dropped on the middle of Ohio, we should make decent money.

:D

A buddy of mine spent 2007 learning about the market from books. He started his own hedge fund this July and is doing great. One of his transactions involved putting in three grand and overnight (literally overnight) it made $50k. :wacko:

I have no idea how it all works but in effect he's running a betting shop.