[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

us automakers pardoned

dmarc117

disagree completely. some past government bailouts I could get on board with. like if there's one specific kind of crisis in one little sector threating to tank the whole economy (like the liquidity crisis in the credit markets), OK, I can see government action to prevent it. when the major airlines were all broke in the aftermath of 9-11, OK, I can see why it's in the country's interests for the government to prevent them all from going under. but the auto industry has been slowly killing itself for DECADES, with bad business decisions, bad marketing, really bad labor deals, and so on. they have gotten where they are by a consistent, unrelenting suckiness in almost every aspect of business. they aren't being drowned by some unforeseeable tsunami of events, they have simply been methodically destroyed by superior competition in the marketplace. bailing them out accomplishes very little toward the health of the overall economy.

im not arguing that the auto industry is garbage and terribly run. it is at this time that we cant afford to have possibly another 500k to 1mil people out of work. any other time, i say punt em. but this economy might not recover from a massive layoff of auto workers and their suppliers.

im not arguing that the auto industry is garbage and terribly run. it is at this time that we cant afford to have possibly another 500k to 1mil people out of work. any other time, i say punt em. but this economy might not recover from a massive layoff of auto workers and their suppliers.

with that money they could "create" half a million jobs building bridges or roads. I'd be on board with that. but instead they are bailing out overpaid jobs making a crappy product nobody wants to buy.

with that money they could "create" half a million jobs building bridges or roads. I'd be on board with that. but instead they are bailing out overpaid jobs making a crappy product nobody wants to buy.

agree. but that would take time. if gm didnt get bailed out, there were chances it goes under within weeks. im no fan of unions, bust em. but that needs to be done in an orderly fashion with the economy in its fragile state.

making a crappy product nobody wants to buy.

I don't think it's necessarily the income side of the equation...more the expense side that is the problem with The Big 3.

For the first 11 months of 2008, in spite of gas price spikes and a challenging economy:

1. Ford F-Series pickup. 473,000 units

2. Chevy Silverado pickup. 431,000 units

3. Toyota Camry. 411,000 units

4. Honda Civic. 352,000 units

5. Honda Accord. 350,000 units

6. Toyota Corolla. 328,000 units

7. Nissan Altima. 252,000 units

8. Chevy Impala. 244,000 units

9. Dodge Ram pickup. 222,000 units.

10. Ford Focus. 184,000