[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Projections for the Rest of the Season

muck

...last one of the year...so, here goes nothing...

Playoff Teams -- remember, I project w/l percentage (which means that teams get partial wins and partial losses based on the probability that one team will win a game) and put the highest percetages get in the playoffs (I do not pay attention to tie-breakers):

14-2 TEN

12-4 PIT

11-5 NE

8-8 DEN

11-5 IND

11-5 BAL

13-3 NYG

12-4 CAR

10-6 CHI

9-7 ARI

11-5 ATL

10-6 TB

2009 NFL Draft Order:

DET

STL

KC

CIN

CLE

OAK

SEA

JAX

GB

SF

BUF

HOU

SD

NO

WAS

PHI

MIN

DAL

NYJ

MIA

Power Ranking (just launched this last week, fyi):

100.0 PIT

99.2 TEN

98.0 NYG

92.1 CAR

90.5 BAL

90.1 IND

85.1 NE

85.1 ATL

82.2 MIA

80.1 TB

79.7 MIN

79.7 DAL

79.3 PHI

77.6 CHI

76.0 NYJ

74.7 ARI

70.6 NO

70.2 WAS

70.2 DEN

69.7 SD

68.9 HOU

62.3 BUF

60.2 GB

58.1 JAX

57.3 SF

54.8 CLE

54.8 CIN

51.1 OAK

49.0 SEA

42.3 KC

39.4 STL

28.6 DET

Projected Winners (135-89 through week 16; didn't pick week one):

NE beats BUF

MIA beats NYJ

PIT beats CLE

BAL beats JAX

CIN beats KC

TEN beats IND

CHI beats HOU

SD beats DEN (which, I know, due to tie-breakers would put them in the playoffs, not DEN as shown above ... it's all in the 'partial wins/losses' that are a function of the way I project games)

TB beats OAK

NYG beats MIN

WAS beats SF

PHI beats DAL

GB beats DET

CAR beats NO

ATL beats STL

ARI beats SEA

Umm this whole system looks flawed lol. How does NE make the playoffs if the Dolphins beat the Jets?

How is Pitt ranked 1 in your power rankings if Tennessee just beat them?

You gotta understand - Muck's figures are not calculating who plays each other. In other words, it's not individualized - it's based purely on the numbers. This is very good analysis if you know how to use it. You shouldn't knock the guy for attempting such in-depth analysis. How about you present something of value instead of knocking a guy for providing such detail?

You gotta understand - Muck's figures are not calculating who plays each other. In other words, it's not individualized - it's based purely on the numbers. This is very good analysis if you know how to use it. You shouldn't knock the guy for attempting such in-depth analysis. How about you present something of value instead of knocking a guy for providing such detail?

lol I'm not knocking his system, I've read it every week and found it pretty interesting. I just was just asking a simple question and hoping for a simple answer.

Umm this whole system looks flawed lol. How does NE make the playoffs if the Dolphins beat the Jets?

As I've said all along, I project an "end of year winning percentage", which results in fractional wins and losses ... and, as I've done all season long, the teams with the best W/L percentage 'make the playoffs' ... and ... as I've said all along, by projecting an end of year winning percentage, there are no ties, therefore no tie-breakers.

Obviously, it's different in the NFL.

Hence my disclaimer about how SD projects to beat DEN (I have it at about a 55% chance of SD winning the game), but as a result, SD only gets credit for 0.55 wins and gets credit for 0.45 losses ... and since DEN is already 1.00 games in front of SD, SD projects to have a lower winning percentage (7.55 wins and 8.45 losses for SD vs. 8.45 wins and 7.55 losses for DEN).

...same thing (generally) applies to the whole NE/MIA/NYJ/BAL tie-breaker thing...

How is Pitt ranked 1 in your power rankings if Tennessee just beat them?

Because PIT has outperformed their strength of schedule more than TEN has...even after having just lost to TEN. That said, TEN did close the game a bunch w/ the victory, and after this coming week's games, they could flip spots, depending on how each team does this week and how the teams they've already played perform.

Specifically, lets say that every team that PIT played that TEN did not won ... and every team that TEN played that PIT did not lost ... that makes PIT's historic strength-of-schedule higher, which will increase their Power Rank (vs. the rest of the NFL).

The top "power" team has their score set to 100.0 and all other teams are a percentage of their score.

So, SF is twice as strong as DET, for example ... and PIT is 10% stronger than IND.

And, KC shows up as a stronger team that STL because they've played tougher competition...etc...

So, for PIT to have a higher power ranking than TEN even though they've won two fewer games, that PITs schedule has been substantially more difficult than TENs has been... Specifically, TEN's average opponents' W/: % is only 0.452 where as PIT's is 0.595. Since TEN's W/L % is 0.867, they outperformed expectations (which is 1 - 0.452, or 0.548) by 0.319 ... and PIT's W/L % of 0.733 outperformed expectations (1 - 0.595 = 0.405) by 0.328 ... so, PIT is a stronger team per this rather rudimentary analysis.

Also, note that I've not figured out how to translate this into a margin of victory (if at all), but there may be something there ... or, maybe not ... Regardless, I won't have any time for that analysis any time soon.

Edited by muck