[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Budgeting software

millerx

I use an Excel spreadsheet. It's more of a schedule of monthly bills than a true budget. I get everything down to an amounts after recurring bills and savings and the leftover is X amount we can spend a week on everything else (groceries, gas, clothing, other out of pocket stuff). We really should budget that piece of it as well but we don't yet.

I use an Excel spreadsheet. It's more of a schedule of monthly bills than a true budget. I get everything down to an amounts after recurring bills and savings and the leftover is X amount we can spend a week on everything else (groceries, gas, clothing, other out of pocket stuff). We really should budget that piece of it as well but we don't yet.

I saw a "Debt Reduction Calculator for Excel 1.0" on download.com that's free. It sounds like it has some helpful tools to budget and find different techniques/ways for eliminating debt the quickest. You might want to take a look at that. I know I was, but wanted to check here first because of all the big brains that populate this site.

Anyone else?

Exactly what I have except I've priced gasoline, groceries and other fairly regular spending, etc so that the residue or leftover truly is disposable income.

I've recently been exploring web applications for home finance.

I settled on Buxfer.com because it allows me to manually add transactions through my phone when I spend money, and then download statements from my bank and reconcile them. I like to keep tight track of my accounts.

Most of the other web apps like mint.com, yodlee.com, and quicken's free web app will allow you to download transactions from the bank and tag them so you can track where your money is being spent. That's good for most people.

I don't go the free route, I forked over the cash for MS Money. I have for about 10 years now. It allows for pretty much real time updates of all my accounts, has a debt reduction planner (it actually nags at you if you don't use it) and some not half bad reports.

I've recently been exploring web applications for home finance.

I settled on Buxfer.com because it allows me to manually add transactions through my phone when I spend money, and then download statements from my bank and reconcile them. I like to keep tight track of my accounts.

Most of the other web apps like mint.com, yodlee.com, and quicken's free web app will allow you to download transactions from the bank and tag them so you can track where your money is being spent. That's good for most people.

You're cool with the security of these applications? Is Buxfer free?

Checkbook

You still use checks? That's what debit cards are for. Even when I have to write a check I do it electronically.