[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Circuit City shutting its doors

peepinmofo

Wasnt much of a surprise, but still...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_on_...city_bankruptcy

I just bought a car radio and got the warranty through them, so lets hope it doesnt break. Even if it does, they contract the warranty stuff out supposedly...

Sale starts tomorrow from what the article says, so get your TVs now even cheaper. :wacko:

Edited by peepinmofo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sale starts tomorrow from what the article says, so get your TVs now even cheaper. :wacko:

Couldn't find that in the article?? :D

If anyone has AMEX, use it to buy your items...AMEX automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty period, and is excellent to deal with when claims arise.

Membership has its privledges.

So in the last 10 years, Computer City, CompUSA and Circuit City have all gone to the wall.

That leaves Best Buy as the major technology player (but shedding a quarter of it's HQ staff) and a bunch of others selling TVs and stuff e.g. Ultimate Electronics, Walmart, Costco. Not so much choice now, is there?

At least we have MicroCenter here, where you can buy literally anything for computers. :wacko:

Couldn't find that in the article?? :wacko:

where?

Did you guys read the article? :D

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Bankrupt electronics retailer Circuit City Inc. said Friday it has asked for court approval to close its remaining 567 stores and sell all its merchandise.

The company said it has 30,000 employees.

In a filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Circuit City - the No. 2 electronics retailer after Best Buy - said it had reached an agreement with four companies to start the liquidation process.

The company said it the sale would begin Saturday and run until March 31, pending court approval.

So in the last 10 years, Computer City, CompUSA and Circuit City have all gone to the wall.

That leaves Best Buy as the major technology player (but shedding a quarter of it's HQ staff) and a bunch of others selling TVs and stuff e.g. Ultimate Electronics, Walmart, Costco. Not so much choice now, is there?

At least we have MicroCenter here, where you can buy literally anything for computers. :wacko:

Add Tweeter to that list.

I wonder how long Radio Shack will last. Even their sale prices are that good.

Add Tweeter to that list.

I wonder how long Radio Shack will last. Even their sale prices are that good.

I am shocked that Radio Shack is still in business. Every time I walk by one there is nobody in there.

I am shocked that Radio Shack is still in business. Every time I walk by one there is nobody in there.

radio shack has become a weird, useless abomination. last week I went into one a few blocks from my house because I needed a serial ata cable to connect a new hard drive I bought. so I walk in, the girl asks if she can help me, i tell her what I am looking for and her face is like :D. I say it's the cable that connects a hard drive to a mother board, she is like :wacko:. so she asks some other guy, he sorta seems to know what I'm looking for, but doesn't think they have them. so I look around for a minute or two and it is clear they have nothing of the sort. radio shack doesn't even have basic crap like this now? what exactly do they sell besides cell phones and a handful of basic A/V cables?

so then I figure I'll drive to best buy and get one, since I've already got the computer all apart and I don't really want to wait to have one mailed. I find the cable ok, then I get to the cashier and find out it's 20 bucks :D now I almost walk out without paying and without the cable, but I go ahead and pay, thinking what the hell, I've never bought one of these things by itself before, maybe the going rate is like 15-20 bucks and this is only a mild assraping ripoff. then I get home and do some searching and find out it's pretty easy to find them for like 3 bucks. :D

it's crap like this that explains why these damn stores are doing so badly. it's just not worth the brain damage when you can go online, find anything you need, get better information, and buy it for a fraction of the price.

radio shack has become a weird, useless abomination. last week I went into one a few blocks from my house because I needed a serial ata cable to connect a new hard drive I bought. so I walk in, the girl asks if she can help me, i tell her what I am looking for and her face is like :D. I say it's the cable that connects a hard drive to a mother board, she is like :wacko:. so she asks some other guy, he sorta seems to know what I'm looking for, but doesn't think they have them. so I look around for a minute or two and it is clear they have nothing of the sort. radio shack doesn't even have basic crap like this now? what exactly do they sell besides cell phones and a handful of basic A/V cables?

so then I figure I'll drive to best buy and get one, since I've already got the computer all apart and I don't really want to wait to have one mailed. I find the cable ok, then I get to the cashier and find out it's 20 bucks :D now I almost walk out without paying and without the cable, but I go ahead and pay, thinking what the hell, I've never bought one of these things by itself before, maybe the going rate is like 15-20 bucks and this is only a mild assraping ripoff. then I get home and do some searching and find out it's pretty easy to find them for like 3 bucks. :D

it's crap like this that explains why these damn stores are doing so badly. it's just not worth the brain damage when you can go online, find anything you need, get better information, and buy it for a fraction of the price.

PM me your address, and Ill send you a cable. Then go back to bestbuy and get your $20 back.

Agree completely. More and more people are finding this out. Some say the shipping increases the cost but so does the gasoline to go to the store, never mind the time spent in line and dealing with moranic sales staff.

PM me your address, and Ill send you a cable. Then go back to bestbuy and get your $20 back.

eh, thanks, but it's already open and installed, packaging trashed. I did seriously consider buying the same brand cable new in package off ebay for like 5 bucks and returning that with the receipt, but it's really just not worth the hassle. just drives home something I already knew...don't buy anything (but ESPECIALLY schit like that) from electronics stores.

I guess the extended warranty I bought for my Visio is gone too. F" a Circuit City. :wacko:

actually, the warranties are handled by a 3rd party company because of just such an event. When you get the extended warranty you are actually using some other company. You should be fine. Think of it as more insurance than warranty. They just pick up the cost.

Agree completely. More and more people are finding this out. Some say the shipping increases the cost but so does the gasoline to go to the store, never mind the time spent in line and dealing with moranic sales staff.

+whatever. If I know what I want and the store is 20-30 minutes away then I just order it online. There are all kinds of websites out there that give you online coupon codes for purchases too, I hardly ever pay full price online, let alone shipping costs :wacko:

I always go to Fry's Electronics. Its a toy store for grownups.

last year i went to fry's electronics to get an HDMI cable (it was for a friend who was too impatient to order one online). i go to the TV section, and, of course, they have all those overpriced monster cables for $100 and up. wandered over to the computer section and found a generic HDMI cable for about $15. but it was in an aisle that i'm sure no one ever goes to because it had all this other stuff that only techies would ever need.

eh, thanks, but it's already open and installed, packaging trashed. I did seriously consider buying the same brand cable new in package off ebay for like 5 bucks and returning that with the receipt, but it's really just not worth the hassle. just drives home something I already knew...don't buy anything (but ESPECIALLY schit like that) from electronics stores.

I am a research-aholic when it comes to buying stuff. Well, within reason. But, I'll be at an Electronic Frye's or some store like that and if I stumble on something I am interested in, I'll google it on my Blackberry and determine if the price difference is worth just getting it then and there. 9 times out of 10, it isn't.

I've gone into a Radio Shaq once in the last 10 years. The Shiekette and I were flying in less than a week and wanted to watch a movie on the plane. So I needed a 1/8" headphone jack splitter so we could both listen. Not enough time to get it online, so I went to Best Buy. It was $20. Exact same splitter at RS was $6. So that was handy. Still, I was the only guy in the store and the clerk looked like I was the only customer all week.

:wacko: