[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK...so we all have woodies over FF, but...

rocknrobn26

I use Thunderbird. It's a very functional email client. I don't really notice the difference from one to the next... Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird... breagh.

If you want to live on the edge, you could try Evolution. It's the Outlook killer for Linux that has recently been ported over to Windows.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I honestly think the best way to go with an email client these days is through Gmail.

A buddy convinced me to switch over, and I currently run four email addresses through one account; receive/send from each account, organize, etc...

+1. Used to run Outlook Express, a neat little app unlike it's big bloated brother but web based email is definitely the way to go.

I use Thunderbird.

I've used Outlook, Netscape Mail, Eudora, and Mac Mail too.

I tried gmail but I couldn't get it to organize emails like I prefer and it started looking like a rainbow because of all the tags. My business partner has a few accounts running through gmail but it never quotes your response when you email him and it gets aggravating.

Thunderbird seems to fit my preferences for what I like and how I like to organize emails.

ETA: I route my gmail through TB now.

Edited by twiley

Ok so I'm testing "Thunderbird", but when an email comes in, I get the sound, go to the "in box", and nothing. If I hit "Get Mail" it pops up. I don't understand. Why do I have to hit "Get Mail"??? Please let me know what I am doing wrong...if anything.

FWIW...I have done 3 tests and it's always the same...Sound, but nothing appears, Hit "Get mail" all is well. I don't want to hit "Get Mail"!!! It should be automatic! :wacko:

Hep Me...if you can. :D

Ok so I'm testing "Thunderbird", but when an email comes in, I get the sound, go to the "in box", and nothing. If I hit "Get Mail" it pops up. I don't understand. Why do I have to hit "Get Mail"??? Please let me know what I am doing wrong...if anything.

FWIW...I have done 3 tests and it's always the same...Sound, but nothing appears, Hit "Get mail" all is well. I don't want to hit "Get Mail"!!! It should be automatic! :wacko:

Hep Me...if you can. :D

Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings > Automatically Download New Messages.

Pretty much and set it to 1 min instead of the default 10 mins.

Edited by twiley

No problem. I've been using it both at work and at home for several years now. If you need a calendar/to do list function, the "Lighting" add on calendar is very nice and has come a long way since it's inception. My understanding is it will be integrated into the 3.0 version when it ever sees the light of day.

Edited by smithkt

No problem. I've been using it both at work and at home for several years now. If you need a calendar/to do list function, the "Lighting" add on calendar is very nice and has come a long way since it's inception. My understanding is it will be integrated into the 3.0 version when it ever sees the light of day.

Yup, got that and I'm gonna import my cal from Outlook.

So there is apparently now a way to run Gmail offline. That may help sweep some folks to Gmail as their client for all mail. I haven't tried it yet.

To enable it, load up gmail

Click on "Settings" at the top

Click on Labs

and enable "Offline".

Yeah, I run my gmail account through Thunderbird.

So far I luvz Thunderbird. Sorta like Outlook (2000) on steroids. Cool add ons. Just have to convince the "Facebook" mamma of the house it kicks ass on "Outlook Express". More to come..........

Edited by rocknrobn26

Downloaded Thunderbird and set it up to link to my Gmail account. It's now downloading 250 messages - into my inbox - that appear to be sent messages from as late as 2006. Not sure what's going on here, hoping it works out 'cuz I need folders.

Edit: Yeah, it's downloading all of my sent messages into my inbox. Gmail keeps all of your sent messages, and since you get so much space, they tell you to not even worry about deleting them out. I'm gonna have to hit up the Mozilla help forums to figure out how to stop this. It started with the first 250 messages, now it's downloading another 264. I have thousands of sent messages. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

Downloaded Thunderbird and set it up to link to my Gmail account. It's now downloading 250 messages - into my inbox - that appear to be sent messages from as late as 2006. Not sure what's going on here, hoping it works out 'cuz I need folders.

Edit: Yeah, it's downloading all of my sent messages into my inbox. Gmail keeps all of your sent messages, and since you get so much space, they tell you to not even worry about deleting them out. I'm gonna have to hit up the Mozilla help forums to figure out how to stop this. It started with the first 250 messages, now it's downloading another 264. I have thousands of sent messages. :wacko:

I'm testing it on a laptop, that didn't have that many sent items. I also purged out about 900 from Outlook a few days ago on my main PC and only have ~90 left on my main system. Not sure what will happen, but in your case can't you just create a "sent" folder, sort them out, select them, and move them to that folder?

I'm testing it on a laptop, that didn't have that many sent items. I also purged out about 900 from Outlook a few days ago on my main PC and only have ~90 left on my main system. Not sure what will happen, but in your case can't you just create a "sent" folder, sort them out, select them, and move them to that folder?

I guess I probably could do that. But we're talking about a thousand-plus messages here. :wacko: Stuff that was stored on Gmail, not locally on my computer, ya know?

I guess I probably could do that. But we're talking about a thousand-plus messages here. :wacko: Stuff that was stored on Gmail, not locally on my computer, ya know?

There was a setting you should have clicked on that would have only downloaded new messages.