[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Day the Music Died

MikesVikes

Article in RS this week. Apparently Valens wasn't going to be on the plane and talked someone (can't remember who, but noone i'd heard of) into flipping a coin for the last spot on the plane. finally this other guy agreed to the coin flip and Lost, giving Valens the seat on the plane. Pretty incredible.

I think that was made up for the movie.

I beleive that is actually the true story ...pretty sure i saw it on a special on VH1

plus :wacko:

I know that the loss of SRV and John Lennon both hit me terribly hard. I don't know how I would have felt had it happened at the same time. I could honestly see though how some people felt their world come crashing down in that plane. RIP

it was reported as fact in the article with a quote from the guy.

I beleive that is actually the true story ...pretty sure i saw it on a special on VH1

plus :wacko:

I stand corrected.

The guy was Tommy Allsup for those that don't want to click.

I see my mistake. This is what was made up for the movie:

"Contrary to what is seen in biographical movies, that coin toss did not happen at the airport shortly before takeoff, nor did Buddy Holly toss it. The toss happened at the ballroom shortly before departure to the airport, and the coin was tossed by a DJ who was working the concert that night. Valens won a seat on the plane."

I think it would be like losing Cobain, Staley and Hoon on the same heroin overdose.

I remember the day Tupac died. I can't imagine if two of my other favorite artists had died that same day. The country must have been in absolute shock for a few days. I wonder though how quickly the news got around back then though. 17. Valens was 17. He couldn't have had more than a record or two, right? Okay, I can't think about that anymore.

Maybe Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin all at once could be close, but would still probably fall short.

Not a bad analogy.

There is no comparison in the rock world. These guys were headliners, every place they went.

It was "The Day that Music Died!"

Right about the lack of comparison (maybe), but the music most certainly didn't die.

I know that the loss of SRV and John Lennon both hit me terribly hard. I don't know how I would have felt had it happened at the same time. I could honestly see though how some people felt their world come crashing down in that plane. RIP

The rock music death that hit me the hardest was Ian Curtis of Joy Division. I heard the announcement on the radio minutes after the fact.

Sad...they were so young. :wacko:

The greatest thing about them is their music still sounds great today. They were playing some Buddy Holly on the radio this morning. Amazing stuff and still very relevant. These were people that almost every person since has attributed their roots to.