[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Executive Pay

Perchoutofwater

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what else I can do here. I've already linked directly to the federal government websites defining the FERS pension benefit, how the annuity is calculated, and so on. I guess maybe I can link it one more time:

Your basic annuity is computed based on your length of service and "high-3" average pay. The high-3 average pay includes locality pay and annual premiums for standby duty and availability if applicable. Other pay such as differentials, overtime, allowances and others are not included.

Generally, your benefit is calculated according to this formula:

1% of your high-3 average pay

times

years of creditable service

If you retire at age 62 or later with at least 20 years of service, a factor of 1.1% is used rather than 1%.

To determine your length of service for computation, add all of your periods of creditable service, then eliminate from the total any fractional part of a month (less than 30 days).

Depending on the category of retirement benefits you receive, your benefit may be reduced as described in the Retirement Options section. For example, the total could be reduced if you elect to retire at the minimum retirement age before completing 30 years of service.

that is a defined benefit. it's a lot smaller than it was for employees under the CSRS, where it was uroutinely over half the employees high-3 salary. that, I assume, is because when they made the switch from CSRS to FERS, they started doing matching TSP (401k) contributions up to 5%. so the emphasis shifted away from the defined benefit pension portion of retirement planning toward the individual account (TSP) portion. but there is still a clear, substantial defined benefit pension under FERS. it is generally equal to 1% of the average of your highest 3 yearly salaries, multiplied by your years of service. so, a FERS employee who retires after 30 years of service, and the average of his last 3 yearly salaries was $100,000....this employee will receive a $30,000 per year FERS annuity benefit. a pension. in addition to whatever he gets from SS and drawing out of his TSP, he gets a defined benefit pension. this is clearly and explicitly spelled out in all of the links I've posted. I challenge you to provide the slightest scintilla of evidence suggesting otherwise.

'2/25/09 9:16am[/b]' post='2782578']

I'm not sure what else I can do here. I've already linked directly to the federal government websites defining the FERS pension benefit, how the annuity is calculated, and so on. I guess maybe I can link it one more time:

that is a defined benefit. it's a lot smaller than it was for employees under the CSRS, where it was uroutinely over half the employees high-3 salary. that, I assume, is because when they made the switch from CSRS to FERS, they started doing matching TSP (401k) contributions up to 5%. so the emphasis shifted away from the defined benefit pension portion of retirement planning toward the individual account (TSP) portion. but there is still a clear, substantial defined benefit pension under FERS. it is generally equal to 1% of the average of your highest 3 yearly salaries, multiplied by your years of service. so, a FERS employee who retires after 30 years of service, and the average of his last 3 yearly salaries was $100,000....this employee will receive a $30,000 per year FERS annuity benefit. a pension. in addition to whatever he gets from SS and drawing out of his TSP, he gets a defined benefit pension. this is clearly and explicitly spelled out in all of the links I've posted. I challenge you to provide the slightest scintilla of evidence suggesting otherwise.

I bet he's still looking. :wacko: