[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Church will pay the Mortgage of two Parishioners

MikesVikes

If I was going to that church, I would be PO'd if somebody had their mortgage taken care of and they didn't need it. If this was based on need than I know that churches like to help people out. But this random drawing thing is something I don't like. I can imagine some rich dude getting his mortgage paid for and nobody is better for it. At least the Parishioners are not being "forced" (as in bank bailouts) to have the church pay their mortgage since they can clearly have the right to not enter their name in the pool.

link

Hibbing church to pay mortgage of 2 parishioners

Associated Press

Posted: 03/10/2009 12:01:00 AM CDT

One Hibbing church is looking to show God's grace by paying the mortgage or rent of two parishioners who attend services on Easter Sunday.

First Assembly of God will pick at random two parishioners to receive up to $800 a month in mortgage or rent payments for the rest of 2009.

At the beginning of each Easter Sunday service ushers will pass around a form for people to sign their names. The names will be drawn at the end of each of the two services.

The Rev. David Oler says the church's regular attendees are spreading word about the giveaway to their co-workers, neighbors and others in the community.

Oler says he thought up the idea in October as a way to give his congregation a picture of God's grace, which is the church's Easter theme.

Edited by MikesVikes

Oler says he thought up the idea in October as a way to give his congregation a picture of God's grace, which is the church's Easter theme.

That may be, but he's also using a raffle as a way to drum up business. I don't have any problems with that, just be honest and call it what it is.

One Hibbing church is looking to show God's grace by paying the mortgage or rent of two parishioners who attend services on Easter Sunday.

If it is God's grace shouldn't God pay it directly?

Cripes, my f'n hometown does it again. :D

Hey everyone, go to church, throw an extra buck or 2 in the collection plate, and we'll pay someone's mortgage rather than helping the community as a whole.

And people wonder why I would never move back there. :wacko: