[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fed Ex Puts hold on Plane Order

Perchoutofwater

Per the Fox Business channel (nothing on the net yet, that I could find) FedEx has put a hold on an order for 30 planes pending the outcome of the Card Check vote. If Card Check passes, it wil cancel the order all together.

On a related note, the EPA has put a hold on hundreds of strip mining projects, to study the impact on local streams.

That is what I call stimulus.

So is the answer to an economic disaster caused largely due to the fact that people were running around doing crap they shouldn't have been unchecked by any oversight to eliminate all oversight because oversight is bad for business?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of nanny state policy but I'm finding it somewhat amusing that the right has taken this stance about how now is not the time to make sure businesses are acting responsibly. Believe me, I really wish that we could just let things take care of themselves but, well, right now we're reaping what we sewed.

Edited by detlef

So is the answer to an economic disaster caused largely due to the fact that people were running around doing crap they shouldn't have been unchecked by any oversight to eliminate all oversight because oversight is bad for business?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of nanny state policy but I'm finding it somewhat amusing that the right has taken this stance about how now is not the time to make sure businesses are acting responsibly. Believe me, I really wish that we could just let things take care of themselves but, well, right now we're reaping what we sewed.

Most companies were taking care of business and doing what they were told to do by the government, namely get more people into homes. Had the government not "suggested" that banks start lending to people they hadn't in the past, and relaxing standards for loans a great deal of this mess could have been avoided.

Not sure what the Cehck Card issues has to do with the stimulus plan, Perch. Two completely separate items.

Interesting to note: what Fedex appears to be saying is that if the Check Card plan goes forward, they expect many of their jobs to be unionized....which is exactly what I have been preaching in the other threads bout this.

Unionization will be the dagger in the heart of business growth.

Here's some regulators for you;

What makes this all the more painfully ironic is that it is precisely those members of Congress who have had the most to do with creating the risks that led to the current economic crisis who are making the most noise against others, and summoning people before their committee to be browbeaten and humiliated on nationwide television.

No one pushed harder than Barney Frank to force banks and other financial institutions to reduce their mortgage-lending standards in order to meet government-set goals for more home ownership. Those lower mortgage-lending standards are at the heart of the increased riskiness of the mortgage market and of the collapse of Wall Street securities based on those risky mortgages.

Sen. Christopher Dodd has played the same role in the Senate as Barney Frank played in the House of Representatives. Now both are summoning government employees and the officials of financial institutions before their committees to be lambasted in front of the media.

Dodd and Frank know that the best defense is a good offense. Both know how hard it would be to defend their own roles in the housing debacle, so they go on the offensive against others who are in no position to reply in kind, given the vindictive powers of Congress.

This political theater is in one sense cheap beyond words. In another sense, it is costly beyond words.

Not sure what the Cehck Card issues has to do with the stimulus plan, Perch. Two completely separate items.

I'm just saying if we are going to spend a trillion dollars for so called stimulus, why are we going to turn around and do something that will put the brakes on business?

I'm just saying if we are going to spend a trillion dollars for so called stimulus, why are we going to turn around and do something that will put the brakes on business?

Again, should it be open season to do whatever the hell we want just because the economy is in the tank?

First off, your link states it's a threat to hold off orders, just to be technically correct. Secondly, I'm not going to defend Card Check, as I have no idea what it is;.

Thirdly, would it be above FedEX to play hardball and use the current circumstances for leverage? Is it in the realm of possibility they are using the this to plant a politically expedient threat? :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

Thirdly, would it be above FedEX to play hardball and use the current circumstances for leverage? Is it in the realm of possibility they are using the this to plant a politically expedient threat? :wacko:

Possibly, but I think they are really scared of what this bill wold do to them, and don't want to put themselves on the line for that kind of money when the whim of congress could so drastically affect them. I think they are being prudent.

Like when the GOP tried to railroad every oil-drilling plan they had in the name of patriotism after 9/11? Or when they tried to label anyone who stopped to wonder if Bush was an f'ing idiot (which, btw, should have been anyone with half a brain and was paying attention) as un-American just because some nutjobs from a country that we were in bed with flew some planes into the twin towers?

You mean like that?

I'm pretty sure drilling didn't have a negative affect on the economy, if anything it helped it recover somewhat from the dot.com bubble. I really don't recall any environmental disasters as a result of it either, do you? So you are comparing something that provided jobs, helped the economy, increased the supply of oil, and really had very little affect on the ecosystem to something that is going to put 1,000s if not 10,000s of jobs on hold?

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Possibly, but I think they are really scared of what this bill wold do to them, and don't want to put themselves on the line for that kind of money when the whim of congress could so drastically affect them. I think they are being prudent.

Why a public threat? If there is only one primary concern, why wouldn't they talk to legislators and the administration in private and promise them they will pull the orders if the legislation passes.

Edited by bushwacked

Why a public threat? If there is only one primary concern, why wouldn't they talk to legislators and the administration in private and promise them they will pull the orders if the legislation passes.

How do you know that they haven't tried to do it privately? They may see this as their only avenue. They may be afraid that the democrat controlled congress will not listen to any opposition on this and force it down our throats like they did the stimulus bill in one quick swoop, not even giving the American people time to see what is in it, or for that matter the people that are voting on it similar to the AIG bonuses in the bail out. Maybe they feel the they have to take it to the public. Look at what Obama is doing. I don't remember having a President come to the people so much to try to get them to come around to his way of thinking, how many press conferences has he had on the stimulus and bailouts. We get another one tonight.

I saw an interesting line about card-check in today's george will column...

A leading Democrat trying to abolish the right of workers to secret ballots in unionization elections is California's Rep. George Miller who, with 15 other Democrats, in 2001 admonished Mexico: "The secret ballot is absolutely necessary in order to ensure that workers are not intimidated into voting for a union they might not otherwise choose." Last year, Mexico's highest court unanimously affirmed for Mexicans the right that Democrats want to strip from Americans.

:wacko:

How do you know that they haven't tried to do it privately? They may see this as their only avenue. They may be afraid that the democrat controlled congress will not listen to any opposition on this and force it down our throats like they did the stimulus bill in one quick swoop, not even giving the American people time to see what is in it, or for that matter the people that are voting on it similar to the AIG bonuses in the bail out. Maybe they feel the they have to take it to the public. Look at what Obama is doing. I don't remember having a President come to the people so much to try to get them to come around to his way of thinking, how many press conferences has he had on the stimulus and bailouts. We get another one tonight.

Why a public threat instead of a public promise?

How do you know that they haven't tried to do it privately? They may see this as their only avenue. They may be afraid that the democrat controlled congress will not listen to any opposition on this and force it down our throats like they did the stimulus bill in one quick swoop, not even giving the American people time to see what is in it, or for that matter the people that are voting on it similar to the AIG bonuses in the bail out.

This isn't new...Card Check has been on Obama's list of to-do's for over a year.

I don't like it either, but lets be fair...America voted him in knowing it was on the agenda....nothing is being "forced down" anyone's throat.

here is the other thread on Unionization

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

This isn't new...Card Check has been on Obama's list of to-do's for over a year.

I don't like it either, but lets be fair...America voted him in knowing it was on the agenda....nothing is being "forced down" anyone's throat.

here is the other thread on Unionization

No, most voted him in thinking they were going to get a tax cut, or not have to pay any taxes, and possibly have their home and gas paid for. With the exception of business owners and union hacks I doubt very many people knew much if anything about card check when they voted for him.

No, most voted him in thinking they were going to get a tax cut, or not have to pay any taxes, and possibly have their home and gas paid for. With the exception of business owners and union hacks I doubt very many people knew much if anything about card check when they voted for him.

Just because the American public was generally ignorant to many of Obama's campaign stances, the fact remains he is following through on something he was very vocal about for the last couple years. This order of business is nothing new, and shame on those who were unaware of it because theyw ere too lazy to research exactly who they were voting for (or against).

What Obama should be doing is delaying the enactment of this policy until the economy is on its feet (or at least above water). This bill is like adding fuel to a raging fire.