[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scam!

rocknrobn26

FWIW, caught one of their commercials yesterday (another one in their series with the folksy singer in random situation due to identity theft or something), and, at the end of it, the voice over does state that the free credit report offer is only valid with enrollment in the Triple Advantage program. Kinda thrown in briefly at the end like the side effects in the drug commercials. But, after reading this thread, I actually paid attention to the commercial to see if it mentioned it at all.

So you're saying that not only is rr going blind, but deaf too?

Real nice, Puddy!

I'm surprised to see the pile on for one of the more respected Huddlers. :wacko:

I appreciate the support, Mike, but no one is safe. No problem, but thanks for the backup. I will remember that. :D Been here to long to fret over it.

Go ahead and kick my ass! :D

It's a sad state of affairs when a respected organization recommends a rip off company like free credit report.

As soon as I saw ALL those commercials, I knew there was a hook. If they don't charge, they can't put 200 commercials on TV every day. NOTHING is free, except craig's list, and I wonder about that too. If they wanted to do a free credit report, they need your SS#, not a credit card number. Either way, that is info I never give out unless I am buying something on line. My SS# NEVER goes out on the net.

Live and learn RR....

It's a sad state of affairs when a respected organization recommends a rip off company like free credit report.

As soon as I saw ALL those commercials, I knew there was a hook. If they don't charge, they can't put 200 commercials on TV every day. NOTHING is free, except craig's list, and I wonder about that too. If they wanted to do a free credit report, they need your SS#, not a credit card number. Either way, that is info I never give out unless I am buying something on line. My SS# NEVER goes out on the net.

Live and learn RR....

Some points:

I don't watch commercials! I DVD EVERYTHING (Yes even the AM news) and if I'm watching live (rare) I ignore all coml's.

I may have ignored the warnings due to the commendations from the shows I was watching. I still think the site changed since I went there.

You'll never get a credit report on line if you don't put in your SS#. :D And I have no problem w/ that.

For the Fifth time... I only put my CC# for an extended access on Experian or other account!

Look at my previous posts w/ links to dissatisfied customers.

FTC nailed them in 2007. No fault of course :wacko: but they payed out $300K!

So I am the doddering old guy that can't see or hear or read, not to mention a pic of a guy that is supposed to be me that has been dead for 9 years.

FINE! If that is the image that I portray here, then I'll live with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this thread, but decided to check my credit score b/c I'm looking at a refi. Went to freecreditreport.com and immediately saw the disclaimer:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership.

Follow the double asterisk to see:

**Monitoring with Experian begins within 48 hours of enrollment in your free trial. Monitoring with Equifax and TransUnion takes approximately 4 days to begin, though in some cases cannot be initiated during your trial period. You may cancel your trial membership any time within 9 days of enrollment without charge.

So, I got my credit report and immediately called to cancel my free trial membership. Then, twenty minutes after their customer service center closes for the day, I get this email:

Dear Big F'n Dave,

We’re sorry to see you go! But we would like to thank you for choosing FreeCreditReport.com® as your credit monitoring provider.

This e-mail confirms that we have received your request to cancel your membership. We are currently processing your request, and this change will take effect on 4/25/2009.

No further monthly membership fees will be applied to your credit card.

April 25 is exactly nine days after my "enrollment," and their free grace period ends. These are indeed some sneaky mothertrockers. I'll be on the horn to Mumbai first thing in the f'n morning. :wacko:

I appreciate the support, Mike, but no one is safe. No problem, but thanks for the backup. I will remember that. :D Been here to long to fret over it.

Go ahead and kick my ass! :wacko:

Dont feel bad, they HAVE been deceptive in some of their representation, that is why they have paid thousands in class-action suits and changed their advertising.

On another note . . . nice to see another Dupage county resident!

I missed this thread, but decided to check my credit score b/c I'm looking at a refi. Went to freecreditreport.com and immediately saw the disclaimer:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership.

Follow the double asterisk to see:

**Monitoring with Experian begins within 48 hours of enrollment in your free trial. Monitoring with Equifax and TransUnion takes approximately 4 days to begin, though in some cases cannot be initiated during your trial period. You may cancel your trial membership any time within 9 days of enrollment without charge.

So, I got my credit report and immediately called to cancel my free trial membership. Then, twenty minutes after their customer service center closes for the day, I get this email:

Dear Big F'n Dave,

We’re sorry to see you go! But we would like to thank you for choosing FreeCreditReport.com® as your credit monitoring provider.

This e-mail confirms that we have received your request to cancel your membership. We are currently processing your request, and this change will take effect on 4/25/2009.

No further monthly membership fees will be applied to your credit card.

April 25 is exactly nine days after my "enrollment," and their free grace period ends. These are indeed some sneaky mothertrockers. I'll be on the horn to Mumbai first thing in the f'n morning. :wacko:

You'll still get the free trial period to find out if you want the service or not. Obviously you don't want it but they're giving you the entire free period to change your mind. "No further monthly membership fees will be applied to your credit card" sounds like it's been taken care of to me.