[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you get your ammo?

Perchoutofwater

Ammo is getting harder and harder to find. Prices have been jacked up by 80% or more since November. Where are you getting yours? I've been getting most of mine at a local gun shop, but they seem to be out of most of the popular calibers. I also get it at Gander Mountain, if you go the right day, you might find something that will fit your gun, but one day it will be dregs the next time you go out there it might be some real high dollar premium stuff, there is not selection. I actually went to Wal-Mart for the first time in years last night looking for .45 acp. I've all but given up on finding any .45LC. I can still find 454 pretty regularly, I guess people just don't shoot a whole lot of it, and I can see why.

Anywhere in particular that you go to get your Ammo? I'm not looking for high dollar stuff, just stuff to plink with. Heck, last weekend I had to go to three stores to find a brick of .22 LR. Also, any of the cheap stuff that is particularly bad? I've hear bad stuff about Wolf, anything else to avoid?

I reload. For stuff it's not worth it I'll usually buy 2K or so at a whack (7.62X39) from gun shows. Get there early on the first day and look for deals, then go in the last couple hours of the last day looking for someone with something they don't want to take home.

Also, reloading is something you could teach your kids and once your comfy that they'll do it right, pay them for it. A good progressive (Dillon is the absolute best, though pricey) and they really can't screw it up.

Also, reloading is something you could teach your kids and once your comfy that they'll do it right, pay them for it. A good progressive (Dillon is the absolute best, though pricey) and they really can't screw it up.

I've got an acquaintance that reloads, that I've talked to about going over and watching him, and maybe trying to do some my self on his press. I really want to be taught by someone that knows what they are doing instead of just learning from reading a book. I'd hate to skip a line or something.

I've got an acquaintance that reloads, that I've talked to about going over and watching him, and maybe trying to do some my self on his press. I really want to be taught by someone that knows what they are doing instead of just learning from reading a book. I'd hate to skip a line or something.

That's not a bad idea, but I would still recommend the books. Modern Reloading by Richard Lee is the best on the subject, IMO, and I've read five or six of them. Also, start with a single stage to get the feel of it. And you'll always want a single stage for any "accuracy loads" that you don't shoot more than 20-30 of at a time. That .45 Colt/.454 Casull is a good starting load (like .38/.357 or .44spl/.44Mag). Straight-walled case and lots of room for error. Load 50 at a time and you can get used to doing each step. You never want to do it in front of the TV or any real distractions, but even single stage I can knock out a couple hundred .38's in an hour if I don't have to trim the cases. Once you're comfy with the process, start on the progressive. YMMV, but that was my experience.

The NRA runs a reloading course. Maybe worth looking at.

I'm pretty much foraging for ammo now - looking in any likely spots and buying when I find what I want.

Reloading is a good option right now - the reloading supply shelves are still pretty well stocked here, where factory ammo shelves are bare. Reloading won't save a ton of money like it used to, as supplies have gone up in step with factory ammo.

A local shop did a radio advertisement a few weeks ago announcing they had 2 million rounds of .223 in stock. It lasted 10 days. :wacko:

In my neck of the woods, there is ammo to be had if your willing to pay the price. Walmart is so much cheaper on handgun ammo it's crazy, ie $15.00 for 45ACP vs $26.00 @ the Big 5 type stores. Ammo doesn't last more than an hour or two, due to the price difference.

I usually go to Wally World 2x a week for other things, and now check the ammo case every time. If I'm going, I also coincide my trip with their normal delivery schedule. It's crazy, I know, but I'm cheap that way. I find my self slowly increasing the amount that I'm willing to pay.

Went to Wally World, Gander Mtn, and Academy at lunch today. Wally World is pretty much out of everything. Their ammo shelves are literally 90% or more empty. Wally World does not carry 45 Colt either. I went to Gander, and they had 4 boxes of PMC Silver .45amc but wanted $43 a box for it. They also had two boxes of Winchester Cowboy Colts for $41 each. I passed. Academy was out of .45 acp, but I was able to buy 5 boxes of Cowboy Colt 45 for $26.00, which made me really happy.