[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Capital One

untateve

A few months ago I received a notice from Capital One that it was "suspending" one of my accounts because I hadn't used it in awhile (~18 months). No warning. I called them and they confirmed that "suspending" meant that they were closing my account. I explained that I didn't want to close it, due to a likely adverse effect on my FICO score, and that I would therefore use it regularly to keep the account open. They explained that this was not an option and suggested that I could reapply for another card. :wacko:

So I decide to e-mail them:

I understand that banks need to reduce their exposure and all, but I don't get why one would cut off a low risk guy with a pretty substantial history with them.

i had this happen to me too. in my case, my card was due to be shut down in the next 30 days. we are house-hunting, and since the card is 10 years old, i knew my FICO score would go down if the account was closed. when i called to ask about that, the customer service rep basically said if i charged something on the card (apparently i was still able to make charges on it), they wouldn't be able to close it because of the outstanding balance. so maybe you could try to charge something on the card, forcing them to keep it open.

I get a notice in the mail that my interest rate is going up from 9.9% to 17.9%. I call to cancel the card and ask the reason for this dramatic increase. I'm told that it is due to the "challenging" economic times.

Well duh! Figuring out how to spend the $3B they got from the gubmint IS challenging. Lord knows they aint about to piss it away on their employees or contractors who keep the machinery running.

Add Capital One to the list of evil empires.

And again, duh.

Anyone that works for a credit card company is going to Hell.

oh like another reason matters.

PS I didn't know a card being closed due to inactivity would lower your score. :wacko: Yeah financial responsibility sure should do that. POSs.

Edited by BeeR

PS I didn't know a card being closed due to inactivity would lower your score. :wacko: Yeah financial responsibility sure should do that. POSs.

part of your FICO score is based on the length of your credit history and your debt ceiling (in this case, your credit limit of all your cards added together). basically, the amount of time you've had each credit card is added up and then divided by the number of cards you have, giving you an average of how long you've had each card. if you've had a card a long time (and, presumably, its credit limit is pretty high), then, if that card were to get cancelled, the average would go down, as well as your debt ceiling, causing your FICO score to go down.