[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice

Jackass

So granted i only caught the 2nd half of this interview this morning on a sports talk show, but Jerry Rice came across as a 100% Megan Foxbag. Now I suppose it's possible they really pi$$ed him off b/f i started to listen, but after i tuned in, they asked him about extending the NFL season and he replies "I don't play football anymore, i'm not the commissioner. I thought i was here to talk about my appearance on "Rules of Engagement" (some sitcom w/ David Spade apparently)". Then, after the hosts were like tell me about the show, he goes on about the episode for a couple minutes (as if anyone cares, really), then is asked some question about who plays his girlfriend on the show. So i guess he doesn't like that question, so he pretends that the call is breaking up (while it's perfectly clear what he's saying), and then just hangs up. It was rather unbelievable.

Edited by Jackass

This is not intended to defend Rice per se, but considering the stunning amount of ways pro athletes routinely act barely human, I guess I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this.

I hear you. A lot worse things are going on. just changed my opinion of him as my impression of him was that he was a classy guy.

I hear you. A lot worse things are going on. just changed my opinion of him as my impression of him was that he was a classy guy.

I doubt we can ever truly assess how "classy" these guys are. All we know is that he worked his ass off, took care of business, and didn't make an ass of himself. That's usually enough to earn the "classy" label. We don't hold the bar very high. If a pro athlete manages to do anything remotely impressive after their career, like start a successful business, they're canonized. As if somehow managing to parlay a bunch of cash and the adoration of a community into a solid business is some great feat.

So, maybe Rice isn't any more classy than the next guy. I've been interviewed on several occasions and typically when you're being interviewed it's pretty clear what you're going to talk about. Basically, they want it to go smoothly because 99% of the interviews out there aren't hard core journalism about something controversial. It's a puff piece. None the less, the idiots always end up asking you crap that you hadn't prepared for and it can be rather irritating. In my case, because I'm not an HOFer that's set for life, I bite my tongue and play along. Not because I'm "classy", because I'm not in a position where I can afford to cop an attitude.

On the other hand, if I'm Jerry Rice, and I agreed to come on the air specifically because my agent told me they'd hype my new show, and the interview is half over and dude's not getting there yet, maybe I remind them to get on point.

I've been saying this for years & no one ever pays attention. I've heard stories from people who have met him & said he was an arrogant jerk even back in college.

I met him in when I was in Jr. High, got to spend an hour or so with him at his hotel in PHX and he was an absolute class act. It was only his 2nd year in the league I believe so maybe things changed, and we were kids so that may have contributed as well, but he went out of his way to meet my brother and I. My mom had asked if he would just sign an autograph for us as he was a passenger on her flight, he suggested we come by and meet him in person. One of the more memorable experiences I had as a kid, especially being a 49er fan.

I met him in when I was in Jr. High, got to spend an hour or so with him at his hotel in PHX and he was an absolute class act. It was only his 2nd year in the league I believe so maybe things changed, and we were kids so that may have contributed as well, but he went out of his way to meet my brother and I. My mom had asked if he would just sign an autograph for us as he was a passenger on her flight, he suggested we come by and meet him in person. One of the more memorable experiences I had as a kid, especially being a 49er fan.

Sounds like you "got" while the getting was good.

In 1990, my sister was working at a hotel the 49ers were staying at before the game at Green Bay. Her son's birthday was coming up so a few of the Niner players signed the card for him, and Rice was one of them.

This is not intended to defend Rice per se, but considering the stunning amount of ways pro athletes routinely act barely human, I guess I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this.
We don't hold the bar very high.

:applause:

Sadly both these remarks are spot on.

The Largent thing is unbelievable. Did he really pull that BS? I thought I heard Largent was actually a role model to him.

I saw Rice play one time in Buffalo with the 49ers, they lost. I thought it was going to be awesome and I am glad I had the chance. However, I have never seen a player complain to officials more than him. It really made me think less of him.

Could have been an isolated instance but I didn't like it.