[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Red Wings sign Robert Lang

Furd

Freakin' dude could never finish as a Penguin. :mad:

He sure is having a helluva a season though.

Anyone see any correlation between the Wings/Avs in hockey and the Yankmees in baseball? It kind of seems that in baseball the Yanks get whoever they want, and in hockey it's the Avs and the Wings. Hasek, Blake, Hull, Kasparaitis, Selanne, Kariya, Chelios, just to name a few in the last few years.

Any comments/thoughts?

There is a correlation. But since the Yankees have won more often, and, (probably more of a reason) hockey isn't as big a deal in this country, the hatred and jealousy that there is for the Yankees isn't the same. And those that would complain about the Red Wings would (correctly) be reminded about the New York Rangers, to prove that payroll doesn't mean success, just as those that complain about the Yankees are reminded of the success of the Marlins, A's & Twins, and lack of success of the Mets, Dodgers and others.

One of the similarities with the Yankees and Wings is the success of their homegrown players which allows them to invest in marquee players who put them over the top. For the Yanks it's Jeter, Posada, etc. - you know the names. The Wings have Datsyuk and Zetterberg - and look at the year Kris Draper is having. If you rely simply on big FA signings, you don't have the core to bring it all together. This doesn't deny the impact of big FA players, though. The deep pockets definitely help.

I wonder how much of this is going to change when the new CBA is finished? I also wonder if strict parity like the NFL has achieved is actually prefereable. shrug

It'll be very interesting to see. Hopefully, the lockout won't be too long, but I think it will be. The thing with hockey & baseball... is the minor leagues. In both sports, teams trade veterans for prospects, so they can be part of the re-building future. I don't know how any trades like this can happen under any sort of cap situation.