[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dumb, dumb, dumb - Texans take Cushing

Ziachild007

:wacko:

General manager Rick Smith

(on if they considered drafting a running back) “Yes, we did. Another thing that we said is that we’re going to let the process run itself. If there are players that are available when we have opportunities to select, we’re going to take them. That opportunity at that position never really materialized for us today, and we didn’t (draft a running back). Another thing I’ve said a lot is that there is a number of ways to add players to our team, and certainly free agency and the draft are the two major ways to do that. We had hoped that we could have gotten a back out of the draft this weekend. But I also said the other day that we didn’t really feel like we had to come out of this draft with anything, because I think there are other ways that we can solve that issue. We just felt like where we picked today, when we had those opportunities, we had good players at other positions that were a better value and those are the guys that we took.”

I like what Kubiak and Rick Smith have done in the oast, but thats just a load of crap.

And some more:

Head coach Gary Kubiak

“I agree with Rick. What we set out to do on both sides of the ball, we got those things accomplished as far as where we were looking for the impact-type players. One of the things that I’m very pleased with is all these kids that we’re looking at here… a lot of good careers. Not a lot of one year-type players. There are guys in here that have had good college careers, very productive careers, and those guys have been the guys that have really panned out for us and played extremely well. So we’re expecting this group to come in and lend a hand just the same.”

Barwin had exactly one year at DE. :wacko:

:wacko:

I like what Kubiak and Rick Smith have done in the oast, but thats just a load of crap.

I agree with you. I have liked what Kubiak and Rick Smith have done in the past, but this year's draft has me scratching my head. I really think they got "too cute" with their picks: "Oh, I like this guy, but there's a good chance he'll be there in the next round, so let's get another TE."

Edited by rhino

And some more:

Barwin had exactly one year at DE. :wacko:

Now, that's funny. Sounds like HOU is doing some damage-control. Also, it sounds like they let the draft happen to them, instead of pushing their will on the draft. Ugh.

Me and Zia were IM'ing back and forth the last few rounds and I think we both wanted Rashad Jennings. We were both scratching our heads when they went TE x2. I know O.Daniels has a contract issue but thats kinda :wacko:

Gotta' think that one of those TEs takes Mark Bruener's spot as the blocking TE, and the others become projects elsewhere -- HB's?

2 TEs?! And no RB yet?! I hope they don't screw up on the RB. There's one RB I'm keeping my eyes on.

This is interesting on Casey:

Kubiak said that the Texans plan to try Casey at tight end, fullback, long snapper and on special teams. He also has the ability to play quarterback in a “Wildcat” offense.

• 8 months later...
Ummmm...........yeah Cushing!!!! :wacko:

Cushing was a beast this year and I am glad we have another playmaker on defense. But with that being said, I still think Diles and Adibi are starting quality players and we could have just as easily went with a CB or RB. I like the upside of guys like Glover Quin and Arian Foster, but feel those two positions still need to be addressed next year.

Cushing was a beast this year and I am glad we have another playmaker on defense. But with that being said, I still think Diles and Adibi are starting quality players and we could have just as easily went with a CB or RB. I like the upside of guys like Glover Quin and Arian Foster, but feel those two positions still need to be addressed next year.

Thing is, it's hard enough to make great draft picks, why make it harder on yourself by limiting your options to "positions of need"? I think that is the single biggest mistake GMs make and it hampers many teams. I think teams need to just simply rank the players in terms of what their chances of being great in the NFL are and go by that, regardless of who they have at that position. There are minor exceptions, to be sure, but not really.

We lure ourselves into the position of need mentality because we make the mistake of assuming that 1st and 2nd round picks are destined to be starters, when most really aren't. So we treat the draft like a shopping list when it's really more like a lottery.

Thing is, it's hard enough to make great draft picks, why make it harder on yourself by limiting your options to "positions of need"? I think that is the single biggest mistake GMs make and it hampers many teams. I think teams need to just simply rank the players in terms of what their chances of being great in the NFL are and go by that, regardless of who they have at that position. There are minor exceptions, to be sure, but not really.

We lure ourselves into the position of need mentality because we make the mistake of assuming that 1st and 2nd round picks are destined to be starters, when most really aren't. So we treat the draft like a shopping list when it's really more like a lottery.

Good info here! :wacko: