[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garden Talk

SheikYerbuti

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics and garden Det. :wacko: What size timbers did you use to build your frames? They didn't look treated but I guess you have to be careful in a veggie garden. Did you treat them with anything? I am going to expand my garden and I liked the looks of yours.

The new pressure treated stuff is pretty safe. When we put our original beds in back in '03, we were scared and used untreated 2x12s but they completely rotted out in no time. We researched and were assured by some other gardeners that there wasn't much to worry about and did use treated lumber. Mind you, this isn't the same stuff as I remember back in the day when it was dark green.

At any rate, these were 2x12s set in an overlapping manner so you'd screw into the flat side of one side in to the end of the adjacent and so on.

Oh and thanks everyone for the props! :D

The new pressure treated stuff is pretty safe. When we put our original beds in back in '03, we were scared and used untreated 2x12s but they completely rotted out in no time. We researched and were assured by some other gardeners that there wasn't much to worry about and did use treated lumber. Mind you, this isn't the same stuff as I remember back in the day when it was dark green.

At any rate, these were 2x12s set in an overlapping manner so you'd screw into the flat side of one side in to the end of the adjacent and so on.

Oh and thanks everyone for the props! :D

I've read the same thing. I have just finished building five 4'x12' beds using pressure treated 4"x4"s fastened together with rebar (Lowes is having a darn good sale here on these 4x4s) and some of the literature at the store stated that the treatment on the lumber is no where near as toxic as the good ole green wood days. Heck, this wood barely looks any different from the untreated.

And those beds of yours look terrific Det! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I just cant get an eggplant to take for the life of me. I have 5 eggplant plants. They all look healthy. They all bloom big purple flowers . Then the flowers either fall off or wither. I saw bees in there this week so I am hoping that helps . I saw one bee pop from flower to flower which was encouraging but I am pretty bummed about the eggplant so far

The rest of the garden is looking good but it looks to be a very late blooimg season ahead which I hope doesnt end up being too cold towards the end. The insane June rainfall here set everyone back. I have a nice amount of tomatos but a lot of tomato flowers for this time of year. They flowers are usually small tomatos by now that fatten up and ripen in august. We shall see

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last week I have been stopping at Lowes daily. They have been having a clearance on many of their plants. While a lot of them are annuals they have a lot of perenials. I have picked up a punch of perenials for $1, $2 and $3 each. This is a great price. I was planting them this morning. They might not look the greatest this year but next year they should be great. Took a break from planting and got me a snack of fresh tomatoes off the vine. :wacko:

Almost everyone I talk to in my area has hit disaster because of all the rain and not enough sun. We all have blight. I am fighting it with organic spray but I have had to pull a few plants. Most people around here just pulled their gardens. I have some big green tomatos that I am hoping ripen up before this thing spreads. The spray I have is supposed to contain it. I did sprout a few eggplant and a squash and some of the plants I put in the middle of my yard dont have the blight and are ripening up some good tomatos. My cukes are doing very well. Sad year for the Graden in northern NJ though . Everyone is so bummed.