[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where are the Roy Williams lovers?

Meat Face

Roy's a good guy and all, but I just wanted to repeat my warning to UNC fans. . .Do not, I repeat, do NOT get your hopes up about winning a championship just because you have a "name" coach. Roy just ain't gonna do it for you. Accept this now and you can save yourself lots of future frustration. I speak as a wise KU alum.

Disclaimer: I have to admit I was slightly joyed to see UNC lose to Texas.

The first thing I thought when the Hawks hired Self was that he would win the national championship before Roy. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next few years, especially with the whole country opened up for Self to recruit, and not just the west where Roy liked to go.

Its a legetimate possibility that Kansas could win the national championship this year, and honestly, I think Roy would be happy for them.

I know that you were frustrated with roy as a kansas fan, Meat Face, but you have to understand why the tar heel nation was so happy to have him. It wasn't that we thought he was the almighty, or that he would immediately take us to the final four. UNC hoops was in bad shape, and national championship or not, Roy has the knowledge and experience to run a program of unc's stature.

It was inevitable that the program would decline after Dean Smith retired, but because of the way that it went down, with Dean pushing bill gutheridge as the head coach, there was a delayed reaction. Dean left gutheridge with a stellar team; Vince carter, Antawn Jamison, Shammond Williams...but bill couldn't recruit, didn't recruit, and after 3 years of success, gutheridge stripped the cabinet dry and left us with no talent whatsoever.

Then, when roy declined the job, the nightmare really began. There were all kinds of names thrown around for the job, and frankly, Matt Doherty was way down on the list. The AD here at Carolina ain't the sharpest tack in the corkboard, and somehow found a way to screw up several good options. (Larry Brown, George Karl (the bucks wouldn't let him talk to UNC) Dean, thought Rick Majerus would be a good choice, but Dickie Baddour, the AD, wanted to keep it "in the family."

Enter Doherty with 1 year of HC experience. Doherty's tenure was fraught with scandal and player revolt, all of which UNC hoops prides itself on keeping at bay. Every day in the papers there was a new rumor or gossip mongering. It was a nightmare.

When Roy arrived in Chapel Hill, he had instant credibility. Credibility with the players, with the fans, with the refs (very important when you play in a league against Coach K, who works the refs better than any coach in college hoops) and credibility with the press. In short, he may never win a national championship, he may never win an ACC title, he may never even win 20 games in a season, but he will give UNC a program with integrity, a program that the tar heel nation can be proud of.

Sorry I hit the wrong key.

The same was said about many great coaches like Boeheim(sp) last year. How many did Dean Smith win? Getting to Final Four is considered by many a major win.

Give Williams a few years. He can get more talented athletes in Carolina than he could in Kansas IMO.

randall:

Sorry I hit the wrong key.

You can edit the post by hitting the paper-and-pencil icon on the top of the post. The editing function also gives you the option of deleting the post, so since you messed up the post and made a new post, I would advise deleting the "mistake" post.