[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weddings held on holiday weekends

Czarina

I think most who have destination weddings understand that some/a lot of people just can't make it.

Pretty much my take, too. I have passed on numerous out-of-town weddings that I otherwise might have attended had they been close to home. The one's I have attended, I thought it was excellent they were over a 3-day weekend, so i could get more bang for my travel buck. If I am driving 4+ hours, or flying, adding the extra $150 for another night in my hotel only fractionally adds to the cost of the trip.

I wonder if a lot of couples purposely have a "Carribean Wedding", knowing most of their invitees are not coming and just gonna send them $100? Not a bad idea...marginal friends/relatives you don't want there anyway likely won't make the trip, but feel obligated to send a gift since you did indeed invite them. Clever scam.

My wife and I got married in Florida on Labor Day because most of the guest had to travel to get there. My wife and I lived in Los Angeles, while her parents lived in Tampa and my family was in Delaware/Philly/New York area. We felt as if we needed to do it over a long weekend so more people would/could attend, plus we needed to do it on a Sunday night.

I got a comment from two people close to me how they felt that a holiday weekend was an inappropriate time to do a wedding. Funny enough, one of the individuals who made the comment also was bitching a year earlier how so many people didn't come to their wedding on a Sunday night of a non-holiday weekend. Go figure...

Edited by TDFFFreak

Now THAT is inappropriate. People should keep their mouths shut about someone else's wedding.

Go or don't go, but don't poop on someone else's big day.

I agree that it was inappropriate, but...

I should clarify: 1) it was said a a few weeks after the wedding 2) I found out through another individual that he had said something to 3) it was my best man. :wacko:

It was a small bump in the road of friendship. He's done way more good than little "bad" things such as this, but needless to say he lost credibilty on this when he was complaining about people not showing up at his wedding.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Funny enough, one of the individuals who made the comment also was bitching a year earlier how so many people didn't come to their wedding on a Sunday night of a non-holiday weekend. Go figure...

Was it during football season?

Pretty much my take, too. I have passed on numerous out-of-town weddings that I otherwise might have attended had they been close to home. The one's I have attended, I thought it was excellent they were over a 3-day weekend, so i could get more bang for my travel buck. If I am driving 4+ hours, or flying, adding the extra $150 for another night in my hotel only fractionally adds to the cost of the trip.

I wonder if a lot of couples purposely have a "Carribean Wedding", knowing most of their invitees are not coming and just gonna send them $100? Not a bad idea...marginal friends/relatives you don't want there anyway likely won't make the trip, but feel obligated to send a gift since you did indeed invite them. Clever scam.

Minus the scam portion, I think the out of town deal is often done precisely because they're trying to avoid a huge wedding. It's so damned political as to where you draw the line. Being from a town where freaking everyone knew each other, the more socially inclined can be put in a tough spot. So I think the fair thing to do is have it in Hawaii or something and be obviously very, very understanding if someone can't make it.

In terms of the original question, yes, there's plenty more annoying than a wedding on a holiday weekend for many of the reasons given. Now, I don't know why someone would have their wedding in, say a beach area on July 4th.

Weddings held on holiday weekends, Is there anything more obnoxious?

I guess dying on a holiday weekend would be pretty obnoxious.

Well, it's at least pretty darn depressing.

Now, now, don't be giving me grief about this, or say that I'm insensitive, etc.

My family history has had this go on.

Carry on, group.

Actually, on a serious note...

Maybe the couple is trying to save some bucks here. I remember when picking a wedding date, Sundays and Fridays were cheaper than Saturdays - even on most Holiday weekends.

My personal preference is NOT to hold weddings on holiday weekends. Although it might provide travel ease for some, I have often felt it presumptuous that it would be imposing the couple's plans on others. That being said, I have never voiced that to any such couples and have always had a rip-roaring time at their weddings!

We have to travel to a wedding planned for July 3. I'd prefer to offer to send a gift in the amount of what it's going to cost me for a freaking hotel room for one night right before July 4th. Argh.

A guy I grew up with and kept in communication with for all these years (he's not necissarily a friend as I used to beat him up when we were younger) and is a good friend to my best friend is getting married on the 4th of July at 8:00pm and then the reception is immediately afterward...what's he think we are all supposed to tell our kids? He's nuts, he'll get a gift and like it. I already RSVP'd that we can't make it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but July 4th is on a Saturday this year is it not? Is the Friday or Monday an actual observed holiday that I'm not aware of?

4th of July is the holiday on that day itself. If it is on a weekend like this year, a day off work will normally be given on the nearest weekday, so that would be Friday this year.

Edited by Big John

Two years ago, one of my good friends had his wedding the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the logic being that many out of towners would be back in town for the holiday. Being in the wedding, I had to leave my family Turkey Day (which was out of town) early on Friday to be back for the rehersal. The wedding was good and well attended, but I would've preferred not to have my Thanksgiving interrupted.