[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Directv HD DVR

H8tank

Well it appears Tivo won't have a Directv compatible HD DVR until next year sometime. I experimented with an SD Directv dvr a couple years ago, it was terrible. Slow, clunky, they had to send us 4 diff ones as they kept breaking, so I sent it back and bought a 2nd Tivo. Tivo's are the BOMB.

However, to get HD programming, I need an HD tuner, and of course I have to have a DVR so my only choice, as I understand it is to get Directv's HR23 or similar.

This assumption correct? Anyone have one? How are they?

Well it appears Tivo won't have a Directv compatible HD DVR until next year sometime. I experimented with an SD Directv dvr a couple years ago, it was terrible. Slow, clunky, they had to send us 4 diff ones as they kept breaking, so I sent it back and bought a 2nd Tivo. Tivo's are the BOMB.

However, to get HD programming, I need an HD tuner, and of course I have to have a DVR so my only choice, as I understand it is to get Directv's HR23 or similar.

I just got one two weeks ago. I'm new to the whole DVR thing (no, really) because when I got my Tivo back a few years ago they needed a land-phone line for activation. When they suggested I take it to a friend's house, I simply took it back to the store.

Long way around: I like the HD-DVR but wouldn't know the difference between 'clunky' and 'elegant' for these things. It hasn't broken yet, but as I said I've only had it two weeks. The pic coming out of it is the shiz though, no doubt about that.

I have had a HD-DVR - HR22-100 for a few months now and haven't had any problems with it, it did replace an older model that did have problems after a year or so. From what I was told we would have more problems with the dish then the receiver but we haven't had any problems there either.

i've had the HR20-100 for almost two years. i thought i would miss tivo, but i don't. the interface is pretty good, much better than time warner's. the biggest complaint i have is that once every two months or so, the DVR will stop responding to commands (it will stay locked on a channel, unable to change channels or pull up the menu, pause, rewind, etc). usually this occurs after a software update. you have to hit the reset button, and it takes the machine about 10 minutes to reboot. i've had tivo, cable DVRs and directv DVRs, and i have to say that while i like tivo the best, the directv machine is still pretty good.

Got one back in Nov.... No problems. I connected a wireless bridge to it so I can use DirecTV "On Demand" service. Decent....

Yup. I have one of mine connected to my network. I don't use the On Demand stuff too often, but it's nice to have.

i've had the HR20-100 for almost two years. i thought i would miss tivo, but i don't. the interface is pretty good, much better than time warner's. the biggest complaint i have is that once every two months or so, the DVR will stop responding to commands (it will stay locked on a channel, unable to change channels or pull up the menu, pause, rewind, etc). usually this occurs after a software update. you have to hit the reset button, and it takes the machine about 10 minutes to reboot. i've had tivo, cable DVRs and directv DVRs, and i have to say that while i like tivo the best, the directv machine is still pretty good.

I've had the HR20 for almost two years as well. But I've not had this experience.

I've been impressed with Directv across the board, including the DVR options. On occasion I get a scramble, but physically, the machines are fine.