[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Laptop help

alexgaddis

So one of my co-workers has a 3 year old Acer laptop that turns on but nothing appears on the screen. She will give it to me for free if I want to fix it. Best Buy told her it probably needed a new motherboard but they didn't want to pay for the complete diagnosis. Is this worth looking into further? It did cost her $1600 three years ago...

So one of my co-workers has a 3 year old Acer laptop that turns on but nothing appears on the screen. She will give it to me for free if I want to fix it. Best Buy told her it probably needed a new motherboard but they didn't want to pay for the complete diagnosis. Is this worth looking into further? It did cost her $1600 three years ago...

Is the screen dead? as in, do you eventually hear the windows sound of booting up but don't see anything? it is quite common for the wries to the lcd to fray over time and cause the screen to go out. might be a place to look.

Is the screen dead? as in, do you eventually hear the windows sound of booting up but don't see anything? it is quite common for the wries to the lcd to fray over time and cause the screen to go out. might be a place to look.

Exactly my thought. If you feel like poking around inside it, you should be able to tell if the cable connecting the screen to the motherboard is fubar or not.

yes, I just asked her and this is exactly what happens...

Can you see anything if you point a flashlight at it or angle your view? Have you hooked it up to a monitor? (this is the first thing i would do)

Have you hooked it up to a monitor? (this is the first thing i would do)

Exactly, then toggle the monitor key that switches back and forth between the LCD and the monitor and see if something comes up on the monitor.

GET IT.

At the very least, you can use it with an external monitor.

It is either the inverter or the LCD. Inverters can be bought for $15-40 on ebay for that model most likely, if that doesn't fix it, then you can buy the LCD, they range from $75-$200. www.blisscomputers.net