[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poll: Who will our next conflict be with?

Cunning Runt

Who will our next conflict be with?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will our next conflict be with?

• North Korea
    • Iran
    • Other

Hey untateve,

I'm curious, do you think it was in appropriate to have dropped the bomb on Japan during WWII? 'Cause it seems pretty similar to what may be a potential decision in the future. Not that we're "at war" necessarily but along those lines.

Not advocating one position or another - just curious.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some of the warmongers in this thread, i'm curious...when do you ship out again?

I'm glad you said some. Sky spent a good part of his life serving our country. While I don't agree with his views I am not sure I have any right to question them.

I'm glad you said some. Sky spent a good part of his life serving our country. While I don't agree with his views I am not sure I have any right to question them.

Which is why I thought better and deleted it. It's also kind of a lame point to make, even though there is some small truth to it. It's pretty easy to be an armchair general and yammer on about killing other human beings and putting your own life on the line when you're on the sidelines.

Frankly, I don't think I'd have the stomach for it. Yes, I'm sure if someone attacked my home, family, etc that would be one thing. To suit up and take off half ways around the world and leave your family behind to fight for some political reason, usually, I just don't think I could do it.

For those that can make that kind of sacrifice, like Sky, I have tremendous respect and gratitude.

As far as just letting the nukes fall where they may, I hope those that advocate that approach can realize that not everybody on the ground is your enemy as others have pointed out with the innocents that get caught up in war. The WW2 question is an interesting one, at that point the estimate was it saved lives, but I myself would not want to be put in that position to play God somewhat.

Everyone who has ever fought for this country did so, in part, so that we could openly question each other and debate opposing view points. That truly is one of the things that sets us apart from many other countries.

Everyone who has ever fought for this country did so, in part, so that we could openly question each other and debate opposing view points. That truly is one of the things that sets us apart from many other countries.

I agree. I just am not sure I want to argue with a man who spent that much time defending my family and myself. I did not serve. I am guessing you didn't either. Not saying you are wrong just that I am not comfortable going there!

Which is why I thought better and deleted it. It's also kind of a lame point to make, even though there is some small truth to it. It's pretty easy to be an armchair general and yammer on about killing other human beings and putting your own life on the line when you're on the sidelines.

Frankly, I don't think I'd have the stomach for it. Yes, I'm sure if someone attacked my home, family, etc that would be one thing. To suit up and take off half ways around the world and leave your family behind to fight for some political reason, usually, I just don't think I could do it.

For those that can make that kind of sacrifice, like Sky, I have tremendous respect and gratitude.

As far as just letting the nukes fall where they may, I hope those that advocate that approach can realize that not everybody on the ground is your enemy as others have pointed out with the innocents that get caught up in war. The WW2 question is an interesting one, at that point the estimate was it saved lives, but I myself would not want to be put in that position to play God somewhat.

the problem is that people try to compare the conflict that we are in now with WWI and WWII...but I think we are fighting for something very different this time around...

Hey untateve,

I'm curious, do you think it was in appropriate to have dropped the bomb on Japan during WWII? 'Cause it seems pretty similar to what may be a potential decision in the future. Not that we're "at war" necessarily but along those lines.

Not advocating one position or another - just curious.

That's a hard question and to be honest, it's not something I've studied in any detail. It's my understanding that overall, it saved lives but I don't know for certain if that is accurate.

I also believe that there is a difference between being at war with a particular country and being "at war" with terrorists who are not a sovereign nation.

Thank you Sky. All veterans opinions can now go to the front of the line.

That's a hard question and to be honest, it's not something I've studied in any detail. It's my understanding that overall, it saved lives but I don't know for certain if that is accurate.

I also believe that there is a difference between being at war with a particular country and being "at war" with terrorists who are not a sovereign nation.

exactly...the war we are fighting is a difficult battle to win because you can't just pin a spot on the map and say "alright, lets attack here".....

you have to go off intelligence.....intelligence which has failed us time and time again in this battle....

so...how we feel about our country being at war right now and how it is being handled has no affect on someone like sky because he served our country in a different time...which appears to not reflect what we are going through now in the slightest....

I mean...how many soldiers have come back and were convinced that we were doing the wrong thing?....I know that during Vietnam, people protested the war, but I haven't heard of any soldiers coming back from there saying we were doing the wrong thing...

which is why they are called 'the greatest generation'

so...how we feel about our country being at war right now and how it is being handled has no affect on someone like sky because he served our country in a different time...which appears to not reflect what we are going through now in the slightest....

You are correct. It is a different kind of war.

I mean...how many soldiers have come back and were convinced that we were doing the wrong thing?....I know that during Vietnam, people protested the war, but I haven't heard of any soldiers coming back from there saying we were doing the wrong thing...

Oh, there were a few.

I was hoping so.

My war was nam.

My goal was to get home alive. Politics had little to do with it at the moment. The futillty and senselessness was evident which added to the sense of doing what you had to do to personally make it through in one piece. "My Country, Right or Wrong" was not on the forefront of any grunt's mind.