[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Printers: experiences, suggestions

BeeR

Looking at lower end printer, needs are pretty basic, but even cheaper ones are bundling fax ability in nowdays so figure I will get that. Beyond that I have no "musts" other than inexpensive.

So...what brand and why? I've had or known people who had (mostly) good experience w/Canons and their replacement cartridges are cheaper than most, but not seeing one w/fax for a lower end type price as yet. And any suggested places to buy these things online, eg Best Buy or Amazon or...

PS I thought there was a thread on this earlier but didn't see...

Edited by BeeR

I'll reiterate the negative sentiments about HP. I'm ready to chuck mine in the garbage. I've had software conflicts of all kinds. I wrote to their email support via the web (their website) and it got returned due to an invalid address. Seriously?

She has a nice HP printer that was an investment bought 2 years ago, I use an el cheapo Lexmark one that I was going to treat like a disposable one about 4 years ago. She uses mine now. Nuff said.

Its an all-in-one, but the mrs and I got a Canon MX850 a while back. I like it quite a bit. Only downside is that its big and heavy, but the price was good compared to other all-in-ones I looked at. Haven't tried the wi-fi yet. I think the MX860 is the latest model in the series.

d'oh and thanks, and thx for all replies

Sounds like Epson and HP are dicey.

Oh I'm looking at Inkjet I think as I would want to print pics. Hopefully ink won't dry out too fast since I don't print a lot :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

I've never had anything positive results from low-end HP laser printers. The one I have at the restaurant gets far more work than it's supposed to and does just fine. I think it's a 1006 which replaced the 1200 (the model I have at home that is at least 6 years old (but I think closer to 10 because I think we brought it with us when we moved from Cali).

Regardless of the maker, I've never had good luck with all-in-ones and I'm simply not wealthy enough to operate anything but a laser printer.

I went to get new color and black cartridges last week for my cheap (cost wise) Cannon Ink Jet. While at the store I saw a Cannon Ink Jet printer that comes with those two cartridges and printer (does photos too) for only $5 dollars more than it would cost me to buy just the color cartridge. If I bought both cartridges it would have cost me $16 more dollars than the new printer. Looks like I'm gonna go with disposable printers going forward...

FWIW, I like the Cannon's way more than HP. Epson is not so bad.

Edited by millerx

I went to get new color and black cartridges last week for my cheap (cost wise) Cannon Ink Jet. While at the store I saw a Cannon Ink Jet printer that comes with those two cartridges and printer (does photos too) for only $5 dollars more than it would cost me to buy just the color cartridge. If I bought both cartridges it would have cost me $16 more dollars than the new printer. Looks like I'm gonna go with disposable printers going forward...

I'm hearing a lot of this. wt*??