[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone try solar hot water? Pros, or Cons of it?

millerx

I had a rep from FAFCO come by the house and give me a presentation and some information that show potentially huge savings on energy bills. Besides the "saving the environment crap", is there truly any substantial savings to be made? He did bring up a good point about when the cap-n-trade goes and jacks up everyone's energy builds , it would have virtually no effect on me... which would be nice!

Knowing that this board is filled with a broad range of expertise, experience and intelligence, I thought I see what the people on it had to say....

So whatcha got?

Edited by millerx

Just do the math. Look at your water heater to see what it's estimated cost to run per year is. Most 40 gallon natural gas are about $250 per year.

What's the cost of the solar heating system and it's lifespan? Based on FAFCO's web site, it will save you 50% in costs in heating your water. So you save about $125 per year.