[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB to target

marcheese

In my 16 team league, I'm looking to get good value with late picks for my RB.

Basically my question is, outside of the top 35 or so RB, which RB after that will give me pretty good value, or has a good chance to see quite a bit of playing time as the season carries on?

My league also includes kick and punt return yards, so an RB that will put up those numbers I would also like to potentially target.

Non-PPR.

These are going to be my starting RBs to be honest haha. We start 2QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE and 1 flex. This late, there's no real "high risk" player. I plan on taking 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds. Based on Big Country's VBD, I did that for my league as well.

I've compared the results to last years draft and I've realized that RB are being way overvalued so I figured I'd stock up on QB/WR until the value is worthwhile.

For example, last year, 11RB were taken in the first round, while according to the analysis, only 6 were in the top 16 according to VBD.

Am I looking too much into VBD?

You may indeed be looking too much into the VBD. It's not necessarily how RB scoring compares to all positions within your league (though that is a factor), but where you get a scoring advantage by position over your league. Since RB's are typically the least deep position, having stud RB's represents a big advantage over other teams, particularly in a 16 team league. Thus, your league mates are likely taking the proper course of action drafting RB's in early rounds.

I would strongly recommend drafting a top RB over QBs early.

Leon Washington leaps to mind ...

Darren Sproles might be worth a spot given your return points ...

If LJ falters, Jamaal Charles may be a steal ...

In that league, with the return points, he'll likely go a lot higher than normal. 16 team league? I'd be shocked if he made it past the 6th round.

Am I looking too much into VBD?

The critical part of VBD is the application of it to your league's tendencies. What that means is, when your pick comes up, let's say you are only considering RB or QB for the next two picks. While QB may be the highest available position VBDwise, you expect a much larger drop in value at RB between your picks. This is a situation where you would take the lower valued RB first, expecting to lose less value by waiting on QB. This is obviously a generality and does not represent actual advice to your current situation, but it is a step you must take during the draft to properly apply the VBD principles.

In your case, it will come down to what sort of value do you think those late round RBs can get you vs. maybe taking a QB and an RB in the first few rounds and then one of each a bit later.

Of course, your analysis of your league tendencies and what you expect owners to do may still lead you to go with two QBs early on, I jus wanted to be sure you were clear on the method of application of the analyses.

Hey Lord Opie, I'm new to the Huddle this year, can you explain the spreadsheet you whipped out?

Looks like the ADP from FFC. The columns to the right look like pick ADP, then min and max picks.

ADP is another powerful tool, especially when used in conjunction with VBD and a little awareness of league tendencies.

How about in Cleveland, James Harrison? I have heard that Mangini wants to use him in a Leon WAshington type role, and he has always done well with his limited opportunities.

Maybe someone to look at a little later?

I assume you mean Jerome Harrison, not James.