[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new home PC

Savage Beatings

Quad-Core Processor, 6GB RAM :wacko:

maybe I'm out of date, but that's one hell of a machine for so little money.

This one is even better for $550.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...kard-_-83147027

ETA: Savage, if you look into one of these HP you will need to upgrade the video card and the power. I did that on one (thread around here somewhere) and it really works well. But you might be able to build a gaming PC or even find one pre-made for a better deal.

Look here:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Power_Video_XE/

Edited by Beaumont

If I'm not mistaken, catch is no support from microsoft, meaning you can't call them to troubleshoot problems but who does that anyway?

Microsoft has phone support? What a massive clusterfudge that must be. Can you imagine ever actually solving a problem through that route?

Microsoft has phone support? What a massive clusterfudge that must be. Can you imagine ever actually solving a problem through that route?

You can pay more to be routed to an actual Microsoft employee rather than sent to India. However, you can get to one faster by using their newsgroups.

I'll say it again - I love my Dells.

I bought a new Inspiron last fall for home and it has been great - even with Vista. Paid $1300 for a decked out Inspiron with Office Pro, Photoshop and a sweet 24" monitor.

For the average user, Dells are perfect. But for those computer nerds and those who want to maximize their dollar, building one is the best route. Some Dells are impossible to upgrade, they usually ship a power supply the is watt to watt what is needed in the system so when you go to even add a hard drive or a better graphics card, problems arise.

Building computers is my hobby, I like to do them and even started a business not too long ago doing it.

:wacko:

I disagree that the oarts in a Dell/HP are better parts. I build all my PCs because I put quality parts in them and do not trust Dell PCs in particular. They are known to use cheaper memory modules and their PSUs are not very good from my experience. Their graphic cards (upgrade) are decent but you are paying the same price if not more than you would at newegg.

If you use "quality parts" then you pay more for them. The way the computer supply chain works, it to first try and get contracts on inventory you haven't built. In those contracts will be a list of specs that the product has to meet. If a manufacturer has excess parts because of less demand, then good parts can wind up inexpensive through the distribution chain (BestBuy, web, etc.). But, if the parts cannot meet the specs required by the big guys, then they are sold in other ways, often winding up on sale somewhere. Sometimes these parts only miss by one spec, but sometimes they're just a poor design and they literally expect high warranty costs.

The HP and Dell PC's may optimize cheaper components selectively, but overall there's some basic specs the parts have to meet. The reputation of "It's a Dell" means something to them, so I guess the point is in overall risk, the basic specs will ensure a decent set of parts, and the price breaks on Windows software should make the OS cheaper. Also, if something does fail, it's easier to get it fixed than go through something bought in distribution. I've been building my own PC's for some time, remembering when I upgraded my VIC 20 to a 64, and remember how much faster my first XT turbo was at 10Mhz. Remember those days? Jumpers for everything and motherboards that cost upwards of $600? I'd rather just open the box now and let someone else turn the screws.

I did some research and built my own, bought all the components on Newegg and Ebay and ended up with a screaming fast PC for around $700 not including the monitor.

I did a modest amount of research, realized building my own was nowhere near worth the effort, and bought a customized PC from Dell for around $600 - INCLUDING the monitor. It isn't total top-end, but "screams" just fine, including playing the occasional game and I don't mean Pong (fairly current games) - and I haven't even installed a video card. Hell it came w/128MB.

$1000 PC is overkill/wasted money for probably 99% of all PC users out there.