[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a new home PC

Savage Beatings

Home PC died last week... will be looking for something new in the near future, but I don't know what to look for. Please help!

Budget: I'd like to keep it around $1,000 or less for everything if possilbe.

Needs: Mostly net surfing. We play lots of music on the computer. Some movies. Kids need to be able to do homework (basic stuff, word processing, spreadsheets, maybe some photo editing).

Wants: I would like to be able to do some gaming... have never really had a PC set up for it. Also, I currently have a Comcast cable modem, and I'd like to also be able to set up a wireless network so that I can eventually get the kids their own PC for their schoolwork using the same cable modem to connect to the internet.

Questions: What do I do for an OS (and software) knowing that Windows 7 is just around the corner? Is it even worth it to buy software right now that would have to be upgraded to Windows 7? Or is the latest Vista manifestation good enough to just load and keep around for a while? What are the pros and cons between buying new from a big box store, buying used from Craigslist, or finding someone to build me a custom PC? Given my budget, needs and wants, what are all of the components and specs that I should look for at a minimum?

:wacko:

If you want to play games on it & stay around $1000 then I would suggest building. It's actually pretty easy to do. The hardest part is making sure your hardware is compatible with each other, but it only takes a little research to find out.

Edited by rajncajn

If you want to play games on it & stay around $1000 then I would suggest building. It's actually pretty easy to do. The hardest part is making sure your hardware is compatible with each other, but it only takes a little research to find out.

I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to build it myself. But if I did... where would I even start? Is there like a PC Building Warehouse somewhere that you get all of your components from? :wacko:

I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to build it myself. But if I did... where would I even start? Is there like a PC Building Warehouse somewhere that you get all of your components from? :wacko:

If you want to build then Newegg is probably the most user friendly. If you're going to pay someone else to do it though then you might as well go Dell.

last two times I was in the market, after a bit of shopping and hemming and hawing, I just went to dell and got what I wanted for pretty darn close to the best price out there. I don't know what their tech support is like, since I've never used it. but the buying experience is easy, straightforward, and you get your machine fast. for my money, dell is the way to go.

last two times I was in the market, after a bit of shopping and hemming and hawing, I just went to dell and got what I wanted for pretty darn close to the best price out there. I don't know what their tech support is like, since I've never used it. but the buying experience is easy, straightforward, and you get your machine fast. for my money, dell is the way to go.

This is good advice. Dell computers are generally good. I'd buy one myself but I prefer to build them when I need them just to keep my hand in as mobos and such change spec over the years.

Dell home tech support isn't great, so I understand, but I've never used it. Access to the Tailgate is all that is usually required for tech support.

I'm of the build your own school of thought. Of course I have no idea how technically capable you are. Putting the pieces together really isn't that hard but a lot of people look at it like it's voodoo. Here is a link to a video step by step guide of how to build a computer. If you deal shop, you could get a tower built for far less than $1000 and still have money for a good monitor and then some. I've owned several Dells. They aren't bad. Some of the ones I've had (at least gaming Dell XPS systems) didn't do the best with getting heat out of the case. You get better quality parts if you buy your own particulars but that does take a little research. Anyway, check out the link so you have some idea of what building a PC takes. If it seems like too much or you really don't have time for a project than Dell is as good as any other place to go. Software wise I'm not sure what to tell you. Vista runs great on my desktop. Granted I don't have the 8 tons of crap lugging my system down like Dell will have preinstalled for you. So I've had other machines struggle pulling their own weight (I'd recommend 4 gigs of ram). Note that there is a linked article from the link that says how to build a kick ass gaming PC for under $800. Might be a way to go?

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/..._step_explained

Granted I don't have the 8 tons of crap lugging my system down like Dell will have preinstalled for you.

see, I thought that might be an issue too, but it really wasn't. you can de-select a lot of the default preinstall stuff while you're building the machine through their website. the two I got from them arrived pretty damn clean. pretty much a standard windows installation with some dell support stuff in the programs, some default dell backgrounds and a default dell IE homepage. hardly a bother at all.

see, I thought that might be an issue too, but it really wasn't. you can de-select a lot of the default preinstall stuff while you're building the machine through their website. the two I got from them arrived pretty damn clean. pretty much a standard windows installation with some dell support stuff in the programs, some default dell backgrounds and a default dell IE homepage. hardly a bother at all.

Regardless of how little is loaded or not, I always wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. It seems like a bother but it really isn't, just a little time on your part. Well worth it IMO, especially if you are wanting to uninstall software that comes with the box.

I have 12 Dells sitting in my office here, I'd build now that I have the time, but there is nothing wrong with going the Dell route.

I have 12 Dells sitting in my office here, I'd build now that I have the time, but there is nothing wrong with going the Dell route.

Let's just say I have inside knowledge of why buying an OEM PC (Dell and HP) will net you the best parts. Building a PC from scratch may be cool to the old schoolers, but the crud you buy on the internet sale rack with hugh rebates is there for a reason. Just trust me... the parts in the Dell/HP package deals are better parts, and the OS is a lot cheaper. Just go with small business and XP Pro. :wacko:

Let's just say I have inside knowledge of why buying an OEM PC (Dell and HP) will net you the best parts. Building a PC from scratch may be cool to the old schoolers, but the crud you buy on the internet sale rack with hugh rebates is there for a reason. Just trust me... the parts in the Dell/HP package deals are better parts, and the OS is a lot cheaper. Just go with small business and XP Pro. :wacko:

I disagree that the oarts in a Dell/HP are better parts. I build all my PCs because I put quality parts in them and do not trust Dell PCs in particular. They are known to use cheaper memory modules and their PSUs are not very good from my experience. Their graphic cards (upgrade) are decent but you are paying the same price if not more than you would at newegg.

I disagree that the oarts in a Dell/HP are better parts. I build all my PCs because I put quality parts in them and do not trust Dell PCs in particular. They are known to use cheaper memory modules and their PSUs are not very good from my experience. Their graphic cards (upgrade) are decent but you are paying the same price if not more than you would at newegg.

Not only that but the OS isn't more expensive if you buy the right one. MS have a 64 bit version of Vista aimed specifically at system builders which I got for (IIRC) well less than $100.

Not only that but the OS isn't more expensive if you buy the right one. MS have a 64 bit version of Vista aimed specifically at system builders which I got for (IIRC) well less than $100.

There was some catch with the system builder package that I can't remember. I actually got the upgrade version on sale for a pretty good price. With Vista there is (at least was) a loophole where you can install a 30 day trial version from the disk. So basically you install the trial version of the copy you have and then "upgrade" to the exact same version. It worked pretty slick and saved me $100 or so.

There was some catch with the system builder package that I can't remember. I actually got the upgrade version on sale for a pretty good price. With Vista there is (at least was) a loophole where you can install a 30 day trial version from the disk. So basically you install the trial version of the copy you have and then "upgrade" to the exact same version. It worked pretty slick and saved me $100 or so.

If I'm not mistaken, catch is no support from microsoft, meaning you can't call them to troubleshoot problems but who does that anyway?

I always purchase OEM System Build packages.

Edited by MrTed46

If I'm not mistaken, catch is no support from microsoft, meaning you can't call them to troubleshoot problems but who does that anyway?

I always purchase OEM System Build packages.

That is indeed the catch. That said, I see it more as a benefit - costs less at the price of giving up something you'd never in a million years use.