[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cash for clunkers

dmarc117

This article: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/....clunkers_cash/

Shows a chart that says a light truck / SUV gets $3500 for 2 mpg better gas mileage. It has to get 5 mpg better to get the 4500. I think it should be 5mpg to get anything. Let me know if I'm reading that wrong or if that is incorrect. Just seems like I can trade a medium SUV in for basically a new version of the same thing and take $3500 from the government (all without really saving any appreciable amount of gas).

I haven't read the article, but I have read the info on the dot-gov website. The numbers are 4 and 10, I'm quite certain.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/....clunkers_cash/

Shows a chart that says a light truck / SUV gets $3500 for 2 mpg better gas mileage. It has to get 5 mpg better to get the 4500. I think it should be 5mpg to get anything. Let me know if I'm reading that wrong or if that is incorrect. Just seems like I can trade a medium SUV in for basically a new version of the same thing and take $3500 from the government (all without really saving any appreciable amount of gas).

actually, you're right. here's the rule verbatim from the cars.gov site:

For example, in a transaction involving a trade-in vehicle that is a passenger

automobile, a category 1 truck, or a category 2 truck and a new vehicle that is a passenger

automobile, each meeting the eligibility criteria discussed in the last section, if the new

vehicle has a combined fuel economy that is 4 to 9 miles per gallon higher than the tradein

vehicle, the credit is $3,500. If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy that is at

least 10 miles per gallon higher than the trade-in vehicle, the credit is $4,500.

If the transaction involves a trade-in vehicle that is a passenger automobile, a

category 1 truck, or a category 2 truck and a new vehicle that is a category 1 truck each

meeting the eligibility criteria, a gain of 2 to 4 miles per gallon results in a credit of

$3,500; a gain of at least 5 miles per gallon results in a credit of $4,500.

In the case of a new category 2 or category 3 truck, the trade-in vehicle categories

are different. For a new category 2 truck, the trade-in vehicle must be a category 2 or a

category 3 truck. If the transaction involves two category 2 trucks each meeting the

eligibility criteria, a gain of 1 mile per gallon results in a credit of $3,500; a gain of at

least 2 miles per gallon results in a credit of $4,500. A category 3 truck that is traded in

for a new category 2 truck is entitled to a $3,500 credit, without fuel economy restriction.

(Category 3 trucks are not rated for fuel economy by EPA.) A category 3 truck that is

traded in for another category 3 truck is entitled to a $3,500 credit if the new vehicle is

“smaller or similar in size.”

wow, this really rewards people who have been driving gas guzzling SUVs around. even those that want to trade their old one for a new hummer that gets 18 mpg. trade in your old hummer that gets 16 mpg for a new one that gets 18 mpg, and the government gives you a handout for helping to save the planet. trade in your 30 mpg tercel for a 50 mpg honda insight, you get bupkiss. have a hard time seeing the logic there. :wacko:

It removes the car from the used car system as well as the scrap parts system.

If I am wrong let me know.

I saw this detail on CBS News last night. The engine is the only part that is not eligible for resale. They had a story of a NJ scrap yard that was systematically removing all kinds of parts before the frame goes to be shredded for recycled steel. The engines were shown in a big dumpster. I'm not sure where they go from there.

The administration that promised transparancy is slow playing the release of results data for the cash for clunkers give away. From what little data that has been ferreted out, only 6 of the top 10 cars (I've heard only 1 of the top 5) is "American made". However "American made" cars do lead in one category, all of the top 10 models being turned in as clunkers are "American made".

ETA: I wonder if they are going to try to slow play the release of the full report until after the senate votes on round 2.

I think Yahoo is just jealous other beats seem to have the info. This article is on the front page of today's USA Today Money Section

157 thousand is plenty of info to see what's happening here.

Cash-for-clunkers leaves car lots looking markedly empty

TOP 10 SELLING VEHICLES

The cash-for-clunkers program is creating some fuel-efficient sales winners. Top sellers with the first 157,000 trade-ins registered:

1. Ford Focus

2. Toyota Corolla

3. Honda Civic

4. Toyota Prius

5. Toyota Camry

6. Ford Escape

7. Hyundai Elantra

8.Dodge Caliber

9. Honda Fit

10.Chevrolet Cobalt

Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

Some auto dealers are running short of new cars even as the Senate is poised to join the House in adding $2 billion to the government's cash-for-clunkers program, which could sell another 500,000 vehicles.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he had the votes to put $2 billion more into the program that gives up to $4,500 in rebates for trading in old gas guzzlers for newer fuel-efficient cars. Roughly 250,000 buyers have erased the original $1 billion for trade-ins, and the program ends Friday unless the Senate acts.

Dealers say they're running low on some models, especially small ones sought after in the clunkers program. The brightening economy and automakers' production cuts also have kept inventories tight.

"I'd buy another 300 Civics tonight," says Brian Benstock, general manager of Paragon Honda and Acura in Woodside, N.Y. Dealer Adam Lee says he would normally have 150 new cars on the lot at his family's Lee Toyota in Topsham, Maine. On Tuesday, he had 14.

Dealers and automakers say inventories aren't at critical levels yet because new shipments keep coming. But short supply is raising concerns because of the strong demand for the clunkers program, which is officially called the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS. How Detroit automakers' inventory is affected:

•Chrysler. The small Jeep Patriot is now down to a seven-day supply, says spokeswoman Kathy Graham. It's not just the smallest models. There is only a 15-day supply of its Dodge Caravan minivans. After weeks of factory shutdowns, Chrysler now has a 40-day auto supply, 68% less than last year.

•Ford Motor. Ford had 21,000 Focuses in stock as July ended, down from 38,000 in June. Pete Greiner, a dealer in Casper, Wyo., would love a few. "The Focus and Fusion lines have been depleted to nothing," he says. "We can't find a (Mercury) Mariner or Ford Escape," two small SUVs. "They're all gone."

•General Motors.GM says its inventory levels are now at historic lows, and it's seeing spot shortages of different configurations of its full-size pickups, Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Coming into the CARS program late last month, small cars were slow sellers, figures from J.D. Power and Associates show. Civics were taking an average of 73 days to sell. Toyota's Corolla languished an average 55 days, and Ford's Focus took 134 days.

Contributing: The Associated Press

Share this story: