[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Big Ticket-MVP

borge007

Outshined:

Ursa Majoris

If we get through, I'm glad it's the Lakers rather than SA.

I heard a good stat today. The home team wins 83% of game sevens. [/QB]But they didn't say how often the home team is the BETTER team. It's probably at least 83% of the time. When they aren't, like Lakers over Kings two years ago, the road team wins.

Last update: May 18, 2004 at 5:21 AM

Peeler suspended; KG fined $7,500

Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune

May 18, 2004WNOT0518

Using replays from at least five different camera angles, NBA officials ruled that Sacramento guard Anthony Peeler was the instigator in an altercation with Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett on Sunday, handing out a two-game suspension for Peeler and a $7,500 fine for Garnett.

Peeler, who was ejected from Sacramento's Game 6 victory after elbowing Garnett in the jaw, will miss Wednesday's Game 7 at Target Center.

Peeler claimed Garnett elbowed him two plays earlier, but NBA senior vice president Stu Jackson said Monday night that he felt Peeler ignited the incident by elbowing Garnett in the stomach.

"Certainly the first elbow was the prelude to the second incident where he threw an elbow to his head," Jackson said on a conference call. "He got two games for the totality of what he did, which was to elbow Garnett in the midsection on one play and then strike him in the head on another play. The blow was at a level in severity that it deserved a two-game suspension."

Jackson said Garnett demonstrated "a great deal of restraint" in not retaliating. The league assessed Garnett a fine because he elbowed Peeler in the chest in response to Peeler's first elbow.

As for how the incident will affect Game 7, Jackson said he did not feel the need to warn the teams to watch themselves, something he did in the Wolves' first-round matchup against Denver.

"Up until this incident, I thought the series was not unlike the other series that are being played," Jackson said. "Teams are playing extremely hard and aggressive and with a lot of competitiveness. There's been no reason to address the teams the way we did in the Denver-Minnesota series. It hasn't been that type of series."

smash smash smash smash

Pehler stated both of them should have been ejected. Maybe that was his plan, hoping he would have retaliated and been suspended to.

Swiss Cheezhead:

Neither KG nor Duncan has given a very impressive performance in the conference semifinals.

That said, I'm actually a big KG fan. I think he has the ability to dominate a game more than Duncan. Plus, this year's numbers speak for themselves.

I agree, KG better play like an MVP Wednesday

Originally posted by Azazello1313:

better bring your handgernad

handgernad is spelled hand grenade there Az. wink I thought at first you were talk'in about some sort of torture device for the nuts. big_shoc

As for KG, he was a classless punk-ass b*tch to spout off the way he did..... frigg'in nickelhead was talk'in out his ass & should be repremanded somehow.... apology or not.

The best response was from Vlade Divac, who grew up in Serbia & LIVED the war with the Croats for years.

"No comment, he doesn't know a thing about war."...... rolls eyes & walks away.

You two never been fired up to the point of saying something you shouldn't? I read what he said and never thought twice about it. Here's a different take, from a serving marine.

Garnett's jaw was recovered enough Monday for him to joke about the cadre of weapons he planned to bring to tonight's "war:" a pump shotgun, Uzis, M-16s, 9-millimeters, grenades and a missile launcher.

Selected people decided to become indignant -- rather than chuckle -- at these comments, to the point Garnett was forced to issue an apology to military personnel and their families after Tuesday's practice.

I called CWO3 James R. Reusse, my son and a Marine, to assess how greatly he was offended by Garnett's attempt at humor. He soon will be embarking on his third deployment to the Persian Gulf, dating to Desert Storm.

Garnett's quote was read to him and he said: "That's it . . . some people are upset about that?

"I have to say, I can't believe we have so many dedicated Marines serving in Iraq who grew up in Minnesota, considering what a wimpy, offended-by-everything state it has become.

"If my Timberwolves weren't going into that game wanting to blow away the Kings, that's what would upset me."

CWO3 Reusse paused, then demonstrated his absence from these parts has not cost him his standing as a Minnesota sports fan by adding:

"If the Vikings had that same attitude for a big game as Garnett, we wouldn't still be waiting for them to win a Super Bowl."

Link

Originally posted by Ursa Majoris:

You two never been fired up to the point of saying something you shouldn't? I read what he said and never thought twice about it. Here's a different take, from a serving marine.

just thought it was a classless comment, that's it. And yes, I've said plenty of crap I regret alot of it here. wink

BTW..... thought you had tix to the game. shrug your post looks to be about gametime. thinking

Down Goes Frazia:

well Ursa.... I gotta give yer boy his props. Even though he stuck his foot in his mouth the other day....... that sumbiatch delivered the goods tonight. thumbs_u   

outstanding performance......31-21-5 & 5 in a game 7.... absolutely dominating. smash 

We're on Central, so we left in plenty of time. It only takes 10 minutes to get to the arena. Just got back an hour ago. Oh man, my ears are still ringing. I thought we had it in the bag with 3 minutes to go, but the T-Wolves just never let you sit back in your seat. 83-80, with Weber's 3 pointer clanging the rim at the end. The place went nuts, then me and Mrs Ursa headed for the foyer and bought tix for all four games in the conference finals.

I think we actually match up better against the Lakers than Sacramento. Flip the Coach used all our four centers against Shaq in the regular season to bang him around and make him shoot FTs. Maybe it'll work again, but whatever happens, the monkey is off our backs now.

Flip the Coach

I gotta little history with Flip,really like him & have met him on a number of occasions thumbs_u I grew up in LaCrosse and had season tix to the CBA Catbirds back in the 80's..... center court first row...... that was a big deal for us back then.The team and coaching staff were very accessable to fans & media as the league was starving for attention AND attendence. He ended up winning 2 CBA championships in LaCrosse. It was his stepping stone to bigger & better things. :cool:

Down Goes Frazia:

Flip the Coach

I gotta little history with Flip,really like him & have met him on a number of occasions thumbs_u I grew up in LaCrosse and had season tix to the CBA Catbirds back in the 80's..... center court first row...... that was a big deal for us back then.The team and coaching staff were very accessable to fans & media as the league was starving for attention AND attendence. He ended up winning 2 CBA championships in LaCrosse. It was his stepping stone to bigger & better things. :cool:

He's a nice guy and the T-Wolves are a class organization, top to bottom. It's a long story, but there was a f-up with my 10 game ticket pack for next season which I'd already bought, so I went down the Target Center Tuesday to sort it out. They fixed it immediately, gave me two lower level tix to game 7 eek! and a T-Wolves shirt that apparently retails for over $150!! I wore it tonight.

Way to keep this fan happy! thumbs_u thumbs_u thumbs_u

Down Goes Frazia:

handgernad is spelled hand grenade there Az. wink    I thought at first you were talk'in about some sort of torture device for the nuts. big_shoc

lol

apparently, you missed the thread where "handgernad" became a huddle joke. i think it musta been a moneymakers word, originally.

i really thought both teams played sh*tty tonight. garnett was the only player on either team worth a d@mn. wolves were trying to give the game away, but the kings werent even good enough to have it handed over...which is sorta symbolic of the whole series.

i'm thinking the lakers series will be lucky to make it 5 games. brow

Ursa Majoris:

You two never been fired up to the point of saying something you shouldn't?  I read what he said and never thought twice about it. 

didnt think twice about it, either. just demonstrates what a f'ing moron the guy is, and reminds you why he had to come straight to the NBA in the first place. couldnt even get like a 700 (combined!) on the SAT, or whatever. i admire the guy as a ballplayer, but they really ought to do anything in their power to keep him from speaking in front of the media or the public.

Azazello1313:

Ursa Majoris:

You two never been fired up to the point of saying something you shouldn't?  I read what he said and never thought twice about it. 

didnt think twice about it, either. just demonstrates what a f'ing moron the guy is, and reminds you why he had to come straight to the NBA in the first place. couldnt even get like a 700 (combined!) on the SAT, or whatever. i admire the guy as a ballplayer, but they really ought to do anything in their power to keep him from speaking in front of the media or the public. You evidently haven't met KG, nor do you know much about him. SATs aren't the be all and end all for measuring intelligence, as I believe you yourself have pointed out or agreed with elsewhere on these boards. KG is actually quite a good public speaker, not in the sense of Abe Lincoln (!) but at least he's humorous and self-effacing.

BTW, his charity work is phenomenal, but he won't talk about it and keeps it intensely private. He doesn't behave like the stereotypical sports athlete Natalie Portman, no DUIs, no wife-beatings, yet non-Minnesotans still love to have a pop at him.

Ho-hum. yawn

KG really showed me something last night. When everyone else on the team seemed to be trying to give the game away he refused to let it happen. I heard a lot of talk after game 6 about how he is too soft to win in the playoffs, he can't take over a game when he needs to, etc. Just goes to show that most sports columnists are just talking out of their ass.

45 min - 32 pts - 21 rebs - 5 blocks - 4 steals

Beyond the stats he made clutch plays down the stretch when it was apparent to everyone he was running on fumes. I don't think KG has anything left to prove.

Azazello1313:

Down Goes Frazia:

handgernad is spelled hand grenade there Az.    wink  I thought at first you were talk'in about some sort of torture device for the nuts.    big_shoc   

lol

apparently, you missed the thread where "handgernad" became a huddle joke. i think it musta been a moneymakers word, originally.

Check Sacrebleu's sig line. He's French, he's gay, and he's an intellectual hangernad.

Azazello1313:

Ursa Majoris:

didnt think twice about it, either. just demonstrates what a f'ing moron the guy is, and reminds you why he had to come straight to the NBA in the first place. couldnt even get like a 700 (combined!) on the SAT, or whatever. i admire the guy as a ballplayer, but they really ought to do anything in their power to keep him from speaking in front of the media or the public. Do you really have something against KG or are you just pissed off at kids coming out of high school entering the NBA?

I don't know about his SAT score, but Garnett has consistently impressed me with how well-spoken he is during interviews. He's straightforward and he usually refrains from giving the cookie-cutter answers. Also, he doesn't butcher the English language like most NBA players.

If you start using standardized academic testing to measure your like or dislike for pro basketball players, you won't be much of an NBA fan.