[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When is the right time to draft a qb

spreadfan

I'm in a performance league where the qbs get

1 pt per 25 passing yards

6pts for a TD

1 pt per 10 rush yards

2 bonus points for a 300 yard passing game.

-3 for interceptions and fumbles

When is the right time to draft a QB

1) Brady, Brees, Manning in the 2nd rd

2) Rodgers, Rivers , or Warner in the 3rd/4th

3) Romo, Mcnabb, or sleeper in the 5th or later

Depends on what the value is when you pick. 6 points for a passing TD is pretty rich, so a QB1 is more valuable in your league.

And a good idea is to track the fellow owners drafts as well, so you can determine their next move. This will help you project who may fall to at your next pick.

I have played in a 12 team league with the same QB scoring except no penalties for turnovers and slightly different bonus for over 300 yards. Yes guys like Brees, Brady and Peyton will probably be in the top 10 scoring but you really need to look at what you are passing up. There are a certain amount of true RB's and Elite WR's. If you are picking in the first half of the draft, dont go QB. Depending on league size, 7 - 12 in my draft is where we usually see a couple of elite WR's go and also someone always takes a QB here. I would rather load up on top rb's and/or wr's and hold off on QB to round 4 or later depending on who is left. There is just more depth at QB and most leagues only start 1.

Back when my league scoring was 3 point for a passing td with no penalty points for Int's, I always waited on the QB position figuring I could pick up a decent player later in the draft. Then our scoring changed to 6pt's for a passing td with a -2 point penalty for an Int. That changed the equation, and now you want a QB that throws for lots of yds. and td's with very few Int's. I have kept Brady since they changed the scoring a couple of years ago. When he doesn't get hurt he is a "difference maker" like DMD talks about. It certainly changes your drafting strategy when you take a QB early and you can end up chasing other positions down the line, but in this type of scoring system I think it is worth it. Just my opinion.

last year I went into the draft with Gore and Steve Smith. I drafted 5th and took Brees (Brady went #1 to a guy with Ports and Boldin). Our league is 1pt per 50, bonus at 300 and 400 yds, 4 pt per TD, -2 for INT....but 1pt per 5 completions. The comps make a big difference and the last couple years Brees and Brady and even Warner have jumped out way ahead of the 2nd tier. No Quarter is right you are chasing other positions but if you catch lightning in a bottle then you are set.

See mine on keeper issues http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=291460

i try to play the position for value and try not to reach, but it is tough. there is something to locking up that QB position with a top tier guy and then not worrying about it for 8-10 rounds. brady looks to be awful, awful tough this season and i can't see him lasting to the 3rd round. so if i'm up in the 3rd and he's there, i go for it. maybe, maybe i take brees in the 3rd if he's there and i'm really happy with my first 2 picks. outside of that, it's wait until the 4th as the earliest round to get serious, seeing what's out there. if there's a QB run, i get a good one before there gone. if not, i wait until the 5th, or even 6th if possible (doubtful) to grab one.

6pt's for a passing td with a -2 point penalty for an Int. That changed the equation, and now you want a QB that throws for lots of yds. and td's with very few Int's.

...you take a QB early and you can end up chasing other positions down the line, but in this type of scoring system I think it is worth it. Just my opinion.

I've been in the same re-draft league for 10 years with this scoring system. The top 2 or 3 QBs can easily score 100+ more points than than the 6th or 7th best, let alone the 11th or 12th best. Taking a QB in round one, usually late, has been a super bowl winning formula in at least 4 of the 10 years. Picking at 10-12 (I pick at 10 this year) I will definitely jump on Brees or Brady and then take the top WR in the second. It should be A. Johnson or C.Johnson.

When your QB scores 20+ each week with upside of 40+ in any game, rounding out the roster and getting Ws is a lot easier. If you look at your league stats, you'll probably see that drafting a QB in round 1 makes a lot of sense.

Good luck.

I've been in the same re-draft league for 10 years with this scoring system. The top 2 or 3 QBs can easily score 100+ more points than than the 6th or 7th best, let alone the 11th or 12th best. Taking a QB in round one, usually late, has been a super bowl winning formula in at least 4 of the 10 years. Picking at 10-12 (I pick at 10 this year) I will definitely jump on Brees or Brady and then take the top WR in the second. It should be A. Johnson or C.Johnson.

When your QB scores 20+ each week with upside of 40+ in any game, rounding out the roster and getting Ws is a lot easier. If you look at your league stats, you'll probably see that drafting a QB in round 1 makes a lot of sense.

Good luck.

Funny you should say that. Not to hijack his thread but, my 2 keepers this year are A.J. and Brady. My draft position is 11 out of 12. It will be interesting to see what is there for me in the 3rd. Since it is a PPR leauge I might just jump on another wideout if the quality dictates and then know I had better guess right and have some luck with rb's.